IGNORED

The KLF - MU 2

Rubin Farr

17 hours ago, dr lopez said:

Am I alone in thinking that the KLF are massively overrated and a bit shit? The novelty factor wears off at a lightning pace

Not sure about 'a bit shit' but agree with 'massively overrated' in my humble opinion.

Edited by beerwolf

On 10/29/2023 at 1:52 PM, dr lopez said:

Am I alone in thinking that the KLF are massively overrated and a bit shit? The novelty factor wears off at a lightning pace

Perhaps more charitably you could say they're the Peter Molyneux of musicians: Riding the hype of 80s and 90s classics and nowadays promising so much, but delivering hot air...

• Like 1

It's a valid point. As much as I think their stuff is great, it doesn't seem like they have the chops to put out any new material and haven't done so in decades. They're happy to coast along on the memory - the odd book signing and remastered/remixed versions of some of their (now very old) tunes.

I think Bill and Jimmy were, and continue to, incredibly brilliant and inventive artists. As The KLF, they only actually made about 10 tracks, which they just fucked around with in various styles, which fit their modus operandi at the time - they weren't aiming to be great songwriters, but they were exploring the form and structure of dance music. I think the stadium house singles are fun, and Chill Out is still fantastic. The rest of The White Room is pretty naff, and even enjoying the singles requires a particular level of appreciation of the ridiculousness of the rave/pop crossover stuff at the time, which they took to its logical conclusion. The music was just a part of the whole KLF product/experience I suppose. A lot of the time they're more fun to read and talk about than listen to.

I mean to be fair, they didn't do anything at all with their most famous names for more than two decades, and even then their return was as The JAMS and didn't include any new music. They were happy to let their stuff exist in its own time. It still seems weird that they willingly put their stuff on streaming services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1