was jamming "Kylie Said To Jason" just last weekend, and the wizard Mark "Spike" Stent mixed some of their best stuff. i've said about all i'm going to say about them in past threads but i thought i'd better at least make an appearance.

newish bill drummond book! about music! called '17'! i got it for christmas!

a search takes you to this odd site:

http://www.the17.org/

which is apparently bill's new group

http://www.timeout.com/london/music/featur...w_book-17-.html

Rich and thought-provoking insight into the history of popular music by Bill Drummond, one of its most controversial exponents. In 17, Drummond analyses the past, present and possible future of music and the ways in which we hear and relate to it. He references his own contributions to the canon of popular music and he provides fascinating insider portraits of the industry and its protagonists. Above all, he questions our ideas of music and our attitude to sound, introducing readers to his new work, 17, which he will be performing throughout the UK in June 2008.

i'm looking forward to this :)

A plan started to evolve in how to deal with my problem. For decades I’ve had this internal choir in my head. At times this choir has made massive swirling, almost frightening, music – at other times a beautiful, ethereal whisper. There was never any real melody or rhythm going on and certainly no lyrical content. At some point the choir took on the name The17. There was no rationale behind the name although I have subsequently made some up.

About four years ago I made my first attempts at dragging The17 out of my imagination and into some sort of shared reality. This was initially done with a bunch of 17 blokes who could sing. It worked way beyond my wildest dreams. From there I experimented with the idea of The17 in different ways. But right from the off I decided that The17 should never be recorded for posterity, thus the music of The17 would never become ‘recorded music’. After one aborted attempt at a performance of The17 in front of an audience, I came to the conclusion that The17 was not to become ‘mere’ entertainment.

To hear The17 you have to be in The17, and anyone can be in The17, whether they thought of themselves as singers or not. Basic scores performed by The17 were written by myself and others. These were time-, site- and occasion-specific. One to be performed at the top of a mountain, another inside a jail with 17 prisoners. In 2006 I started to take The17 out into the real world, initially within the safety of music or performance-art festivals across Europe. Each time only 17 tickets would be made available for the performance.

Edited by kaini

• 6 months later...
Guest assegai

I've been playing out The White Room and Chill Out, excellent summer records. Thanks for everyones input by the way.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The KLF's songs are finally available to stream (BBC)

KLF exist. KLF have appropriated the work done between the 1st of January 1987 and 31st of December 1991 by The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords The KLF This appropriation was in order to tell a story in five chapters using the medium of streaming. The name of the story is SAMPLECITY THRU TRANCENTRAL. The five chapters are: 1. Kick Out The JAMs, 2. Pure Trance Series, 3. Come Down Dawn, 4. Moody Boys Selection 5. Solid State Logik (Parts 1 &2). If you need to know more about the work done by The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords or The KLF, you can find truths, rumours and half-truths scattered across the internet. From these truths, rumours and half-truths, you can form your own opinions. The actual facts were washed down a storm drain in Brixton some time in the late 20th century. Further information can be found on a poster, fly posted under a railway bridge on the Kingsland Road in London on the 31st of December 2020.

KLF (YouTube)

• Thanks 1

"

Bolton,
Barnsley,
Nelson,
Colne,
Burnley
Bradford,
Buxton,
Crewe,
Warrington,
Widnes,
Wigan,
Leeds,
Northwich,
Nantwich,
Knutsford,
Hull,
Sale,
Salford,
Southport,
Leigh,
Derby,
Kearsley
Keighley
Maghull,
Harrogate,
Huddersfield,
Oldham, Lancs,
Grimsby,
Glossop,
Hebden Bridge,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North.
Brighouse,
Bootle,
Featherstone,
Speke,
Runcorn,
Rotherham,
Rochdale,
Barrow,
Morecambe,
Macclesfield,
Lytham St. Annes
Clitheroe,
Cleethorpes,
The M62,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North.
Pendlebury,
Prestwich,
Preston,
York,
Skipton,
Scunthorpe,
Scarborough-on-Sea,
Chester,
Chorley,
Cheedle Hulme,
Ormskirk,
Accrington Stanley,
and Leigh,
Ossett,
Otley,
Ikley Moor,
Sheffield,
Manchester,
Castleford,
Skem,
Doncaster,
Dewsbury,
Hali-fax,
Bingley,
Bramall,
Are all in the North.
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North.
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North,
It's Grim Up North."

• Thanks 1

Most of this stuff was already available in Youtube anyway uploaded by third parties. You can even find the unreleased White Room movie there. I guess nobody was watching over the release rights after they deleted the back catalogue? I've seen the vinyl bootleg copies floating around also.

I love some of the KLF releases, like the Chill Out is probably in my top 5 ambient albums and Cauty was in the early Orb which lead to the Space album. Also they were pretty instrumental in creating the trance as a genre as I understand and the White Room has some bangers. But some of the early stuff is so fucking horrible, lol.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in the whole burning the million quids, their association with Discordianism, various occult and artistic stuff related to the KLF and so on, this is a pretty good and surprisingly sober book

515orSpZoLL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 6:55 PM, zkom said:

I love some of the KLF releases, like the Chill Out is probably in my top 5 ambient albums and Cauty was in the early Orb which lead to the Space album. Also they were pretty instrumental in creating the trance as a genre as I understand and the White Room has some bangers. But some of the early stuff is so fucking horrible, lol.

Agreed.

Is the Jimmy Cauty Space album any good? I've never heard it

9 hours ago, zazen said:

Agreed.

Is the Jimmy Cauty Space album any good? I've never heard it

It's ok from what I can remember, not as good as Chill Out. Haven't listened to it in a while though.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:35 AM, zkom said:

It's ok from what I can remember, not as good as Chill Out. Haven't listened to it in a while though.

It kind of gives you an idea of where the KLF / Orb collaborations could have gone, had they not both been egotistical pricks.

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

It kind of gives you an idea of where the KLF / Orb collaborations could have gone, had they not both been egotistical pricks.

I have some vague memory of Paterson saying something that Cauty called him "just a DJ" while Cauty himself is "an Artist". I don't know if that story is true but I would guess the dynamic was something like that.