IGNORED

SAW II turns 30

chenGOD

10 hours ago, hayhook said:

Rhubarb orc rev should have been it's own separate release with maybe a fwd version and something else from that concert.

It's anachronistic and not in the same sound palate as the rest of the album. shouldn't have been a bonus.

Obvious picks: Red Calx (slo) or On (28 Mix) or the TEEX AB3 Track or an unreleased something no one has heard before?

My two cents.

red calx = no

on 28 mix = yes

ab3 track 11 = underwhelming/boring

5 just fall asleep = i would've loved to see this! unreleased saw2 yeah?

alternate version of domino = subtly implied by the soundcloud uploads of radiator (both versions) and saw2 version of domino (titled "modal 10").

i still don't get the hype for the red calx track (either version). maybe the title is drawing a lot of attention to it. to me it's just a very dry, uninteresting track with an atmosphere that sounds a bit forced. plus, i don't believe the technique of slowing the speed of the track down to 50% (or 25%) was not used in any saw2 tracks on the original release, but it was used on th1 slo and it bugs me a little. seems like a soundcloud thing.

Re: the omission of Red Calx, I agree it doesn't match the heights of Blue Calx but I still like it a lot. Its yet another permutation of the same idea that many of the best SAWII tracks are based on: a metronomic pulse and then a looped melancholic chord sequence/melodic figure played with a string/classical orchestra type patch/sample.

Red Calx seems to have been worked on less because a lot of the sounds are dry and less treated, maybe Richard thought there was already one too many of this same idea and left it be, but he is still extraordinarilly talented at doing these tracks and even a lesser one is still very enjoyable.

I had assumed that he had already slowed down the original SAWII tracks on tape, i thought that was the working fan theory on how he made a lot of it, what with the slightly grainy textures and whatnot.

8 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

That glitch was always there. Just more pronounced on this release. Bit louder, clear and in front. Less muffled in tape hiss. 
imo

You are right but you have to turn up the volume annoyingly loud to hear it faintly. Idk why they made it so prominent in the remaster.

10 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

You are right but you have to turn up the volume annoyingly loud to hear it faintly. Idk why they made it so prominent in the remaster.

Had no idea they remastered it since the 2017 digitals were put on the aphex store but apparently this is exactly the case and they've turned the gain up considerably on this edition, possibly causing this audible clipping/saturation in places - https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/1e664d7/saw_ii_expanded_remastered/

14 hours ago, killabyte11 said:

I'll have to compare the remaster to the original when I get my CD.  There are tracks on SAWII that are quite raw/dirty so I'm not sure if you're  hearing the songs as they're intended or if there's something noticeably different from the orignals.

was listening in car, where everything else I listened to sounded better/fuller/deeper/more nuanced than I had ever heard. then played stone in focus and it was just frying the speakers. then had the same thing happen on my denon/dali home setup.  (though it sounds just fine on my head phones/klipsch computer speakers/marshall portable etc)

On 10/2/2024 at 11:27 AM, Dragon said:

it's amazing to finally hear this in such good quality ❤️

what are your thoughts, papa joyrex?

Ssss... aight