IGNORED

The Deep Ark - 8 Hour long mix + book (love letter to 90s IDM)

Maybe I'm late to the party here, but I had no idea this thing existed.  I was over in the Grusch listening session and Mike P dropped this link for this project that contains many of his tunes.  Needless to say - I'm pretty blown away as a self-admitted 90s IDM nerd. 

https://thedeepark.com/

“…more like a remixtape than a selection of tracks segueing seamlessly one after the other. More often than not, the components have been partially disassembled – moving parts rejiggered, tempos tinkered, keys tweaked–before being jigsawed back into perfectly annealed alignment… Listening to the entire length and breadth of The Deep Ark, you get a powerful sense of the music of this era as a single gigantic living organism. Each track is individually distinct while also webbed within an ecosystem of reciprocal influence and mutual inspiration. The balance between genius and scenius, the auteur and the collective, is ever-shifting.”

— Simon Reynolds  @ Blissblog.

“The Deep Ark feels less like an example of canny curation (which it certainly is) than a probe lodged deep into the temporal hive mind… like a definitive summing up of the brain dance canon… beautifully stitched together — beat matched transitions, carefully extended segues, intuitive blends… what I love best is that rather than some didactic survey, its an entirely emphatic, feelings-forward experience, the kind of thing you just fall into and revel in”

— Philip Sherbourne @ Futurism Restated

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Wow. I love big ambitious projects like this. About to dive in. This looks incredible, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for this. @danshoebridge (btw, how do I tag someone?) posted about it the other day as well. 

Has anyone made it all the way through yet?

Edited by droid

@droid you tag someone by using the "@" sign and then typing the first letters of their name. A popup should appear.

I got stuck on the bit where they mix The Bottom of the Ocean into Piobmx into Chapel St Market 9AM into Bronchusevenmx. Just beautiful.

I have a flight to singapore next weekend which just about matches this perfectly in terms of length. Can't wait to have the headphones on and the world blocked out.

• Like 2

Also really fun to read through his write-ups of each track while listening alongside.  I'm about two and a half hours in and fully absorbed.  Pretty incredible mixing/remixing/beatmatching/sequencing all the way through.  

I also ordered a book alongside - I'm a sucker. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, droid said:

Ah, thanks - I just pasted Dan's name, that was the issue (plus my incurable idiocy). 😳

I think we're all a bit touched here, so it's par for the course.

1 minute ago, Extralife said:

Also really fun to read through his write-ups of each track while listening alongside.  I'm about two and a half hours in and fully absorbed.  Pretty incredible mixing/remixing/beatmatching/sequencing all the way through.  

I also ordered a book alongside - I'm a sucker. 

I'm so tempted to order the book but I know shipping will be murder to Japan. It looks well lush though.

The website is lovely as well isn't it? Fun little quirky bits to discover here and there.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I think we're all a bit touched here, so it's par for the course.

I'm so tempted to order the book but I know shipping will be murder to Japan. It looks well lush though.

The website is lovely as well isn't it? Fun little quirky bits to discover here and there.

They seem to have 10% off with email subscription. I found this on their site as well, looks pretty good.

https://www.brokensleepbooks.com/product-page/you-ve-got-so-many-machines-richard-an-anthology-of-aphex-twin-poetry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Extralife said:

Got my book today! Beautiful package all around. 

Check the mix if you haven’t yet!

IMG_3720.jpeg

Can you give us a summary of the book? Seems to me to be a coffee-table one, belles lettres, l'art pour l'art, hauntology?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dcom said:

Can you give us a summary of the book? Seems to me to be a coffee-table one, belles lettres, l'art pour l'art, hauntology?

"Belles lettres" is pretty spot on.  A variety of poetry and short prose connected to the landscapes/art depicted in the pictures.  First couple pages has the tracklist of the mix, but the book is mainly about the depiction of landscapes meant to be read alongside the mix.  It's softcover and not necessary for enjoyment of the mix - but I will say its a really unique keepsake that definitely compliments the music.

I really enjoyed his writeups of each track on the website, but those are not present in the book itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This mix is the shit! I had it on for 4 hours today altho I have only digested 2 hours so I have some to go thru

Very nice stuff! 🖤 

• Like 1

I have listen it all thru and it is a very great mix!

However I didn't know it would be so totally dominated by Autechre and Aphex Twin like it is. Sure they may have the biggest impact of em all back In the days but It is like 80% Ae and Aphex tracks that has ofc being played ALOT. 

Did Mike Paradinas this mix? I think he would take in some more Rephlex tracks like from D'arcangelo and Ovuca but However cool to see Bochum Welt get pretty many tracks up in the mix that was dope! 

And what happen to Jega ey? Could at least include his Geometry track that is still epic, Thought they were friends. 

He got some Toytronic stuff in there which I love but missing some of the underdogs in the IDM Business back in the days like the guys from Future 3 that have been in the game since fucking 1993! Stuff is holding up today! 

This from 2000 so old school sounding IDM:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 10:19 AM, cern said:

I have listen it all thru and it is a very great mix!

However I didn't know it would be so totally dominated by Autechre and Aphex Twin like it is. Sure they may have the biggest impact of em all back In the days but It is like 80% Ae and Aphex tracks that has ofc being played ALOT. 

Did Mike Paradinas this mix? I think he would take in some more Rephlex tracks like from D'arcangelo and Ovuca but However cool to see Bochum Welt get pretty many tracks up in the mix that was dope! 

And what happen to Jega ey? Could at least include his Geometry track that is still epic, Thought they were friends. 

He got some Toytronic stuff in there which I love but missing some of the underdogs in the IDM Business back in the days like the guys from Future 3 that have been in the game since fucking 1993! Stuff is holding up today! 

This from 2000 so old school sounding IDM:

I’m a huge fan of Future 3/Opiate/Dub Tractor/System - good call on those trax.

I don’t think Mike P mixed this - he just recommended the mix in the listening session for his new album. Agree on the omissions of so much other great IDM from that era, but that being said, this mix wasn’t meant to be a comprehensive survey of all the best stuff - just a mix of Arketect’s favorite tracks that he thought would blend well together.

Edited by Extralife
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 7:20 PM, Extralife said:

Maybe I'm late to the party here, but I had no idea this thing existed.

Looks like it released at the end of May this year so you're not late.

Holy shit guys, TheDeepArk is the most watmm thing ever. Red alert, page the mods, do we even have mods? page @Joyrex this should be a pinned thread

image.png.192c12204bdb027fa52ce5e05eaf3445.png

• Like 2

• Joyrex pinned this topic
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 10:04 PM, Extralife said:

Got my book today! Beautiful package all around. 

Check the mix if you haven’t yet!

IMG_3720.jpeg

Out of order From The Archives volumes are tweaking my OCD 😄

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Haha 1

I would rather say that this Mix is a love letter to Autechres old IDM sound! 

We all know the root of the issue: 

Fans (Not hardcore fans) Will miss this era and will always love it more than their new stuff.
(This is the kind of fan that keeps having Incunabula and Amber on repeat, loves FSOL and the best release he/she likes by Aphex Twin is Selected Ambient Works 85-93 and other standard and mainstream electronica by well known artists like Björk etc. )

Autechre themself has moved on and is way past the old sound and even BoC has moved on in their life. 

• Like 1