IGNORED

Monolake - Studio

New Monolake album dropping September 6th on Imbalance Computer Music.

https://bleep.com/release/461444-monolake-studio

Techno visionary Robert Henke returns to his Monolake alias after 4 years on his Imbalance Computer Music label. An absolute masterclass in mind bending, cinematic sound design and world building electronica.

The latest Monolake album is an ode to the creative shelter that has given the Ableton software co-founder the space and grace to freely experiment over the years. The album has undergone countless variations and developments, reflected in tracks that morph and twist as they move along, like the twitching ‘Signals’, carbonated like soda and ecstatic in the sense of atoms whizzing and colliding into each other. ‘The Elders Disagree’ thrums with an earthen heartbeat anchoring scattered percussive details, while the fluctuating rhythms of ‘Cute Little Aliens’ stutter against the tidal push and pull of waves crashing and surging.

A refreshing update from one of the true masters in the field after nearly 30 years producing electronic music. It uses the full length album format to project listeners into an alternate dimension, rewarding repeated listens, close attention and HD audio reproduction equipment. To our ears this is one of the finest releases of 2024 so far.

Single "The Elders Disagree" only available on Bleep right now it seems. Good classic sounding track!

• Like 9

14 hours ago, thumbass said:

Single "The Elders Disagree" only available on Bleep right now it seems. Good classic sounding track!

Yes, sounds really good. Looking forward to this!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The samples sound good. I wonder if I'll get bored of every track after the 4 minute mark like all of his last few albums.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Below and above the invisible microscopic connections holding matter and soul together, a person is dragging files on a computer screen from A to B. And then back to A again.

A bit later, the person tries to make sense of cryptical codes displayed on tiny screens of machines built decades ago in backyards in Hamburg, at labs in Japan, or envisioned in student dorms somewhere in a big fallen country far away. The person stares at user manuals originally written with typewriters, carefully turns the precious pages, scratches their head and finally nods.

It is a meditative state, introverted, but not quiet, more the opposite.

The person sits still, listening, thinking, feeling: Is it where it is supposed to be? What will it become? What is it? Is it something at all? Or is it just more data landfill?

The tea gets cold. Time flows in irregular intervals. Suddenly there is movement.

The person reaches out to a shelf, locates a long obsolete storage medium, a black and wobbly sheet of plastic the size of a small book. The person carefully inserts it into a large black box, presses a red button and waits.

Nearby something else becomes alive. The person enters commands on a terminal and walks over to a beautiful wooden instrument.

Several hours later, the sun outside long gone, the city almost asleep, the person removes the disk, turns off the black box and notices for the first time that day how loud the fans inside have been. The person flips a switch and all the little lights go off.

Silence and darkness. 

credits

releases September 6, 2024

produced by Robert Henke Fall 2023 - Spring 2024 in Berlin. Mastering by Mike Grinser, artwork by Robert Henke and Queenie F. Charles.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing album, more concise than Archaeopteryx. The tracks sound like they belong together but they are all varied. Thank you mr. Henke!

• Like 2

This is so Good. I mean for me Monolake is always worth it, but on first few listens already feel like this is one of his best albums.

Edited by kirm
  • Like 4

Loving it as well, this is definetely one of his better works in recent memory.

34 minutes ago, Caged Element said:

Can't wait to get my copy!!

Loving this album!!

My local record store hasn't received the CD's from their contact yet so I don't know when my copy'll arrive..

That's in the running for worst album closer of all time I think. Brave of Henke to do a shreds track of himself.

Edited by Blir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Loving it as well, this is definetely one of his better works in recent memory.

My local record store hasn't received the CD's from their contact yet so I don't know when my copy'll arrive..

That might also be the case for me with my vinyl copy I ordered. Not sure.