IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

nice booze ridden studio, my friend has that exact mixer I'm pretty sure (2 of them actually)

haha there's a lot more beeer bottles not pictured on top of my DVD shelf and book shelf. that mackie is great, i just dug it out of the closet recently being that I've gotten back into hardware.

holy crap, that's amazing. they are really nice mixers. i got mine for $100 in mint shape and saw a few on ebay for for $100-$150 the other day. I wish companies would throw out aging hardware like markets with produce.

Guest hahathhat
holy crap, that's amazing. they are really nice mixers. i got mine for $100 in mint shape and saw a few on ebay for for $100-$150 the other day. I wish companies would throw out aging hardware like markets with produce.

they do

you can get lots of computer shit like that

this thread makes me sad.

i've moved, and not yet found a permanent place to live, so I haven't moved out any of my gear yet.

its driving me nuts :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest serendipity

proswell and i's studio. not pictured is a Mackie CR-1604 Mixer we just picked up

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

studio4.jpg

studio5.jpg

studio6.jpg

couple small upgrades from last year:

virus001.jpg

access virus polar

tc electronic konnekt 24d

akg 701

h2 zoom

virus001.jpg

access virus polar

akg 701

h2 zoom

What's the polar like? Is it really worth it's price tag?

virus001.jpg

access virus polar

akg 701

h2 zoom

What's the polar like? Is it really worth it's price tag?

The Virus has a specific sound which much of the price tag weighs on, and despite attempts I've heard from people with z3ta, zebra, and massive, the sound itself has never been really copied successfully. You should really hit up your local music store and listen to one yourself, if you don't like the way it sounds, then don't bother. I like the sound quite a bit (especially the more aggressive midrangy bass tones and etheral aphex type keys and pads).

Virus Control is very friendly and does its job despite horror stories I've read. When I open my host (Ableton Live) the virus is detected and it engages usb mode. After I drop the VST into a channel, I can load up 16 different voices at a time and tweak all the variables on the VST gui(since i use ableton, when i tweak a parameter it auto opens up an automation swim lane that I can start recording into or drawing on). Each part of the virus control is a different midi channel and the usb connection handles both the midi and audio. I personally have mine set up to use spdif instead of the usb for audio, and dedicate the usb connection to midi and control over the virus.

Another small added bonus (which I would never use) is that the virus itself acts as a audio interface, so if I didn't want to lug around my sound card on the road, I could just use the virus as an audio card, but I don't plan on taking this thing anywhere.

To answer your question .. typically with gear I finance them to the point where I don't realize the payments are there (like 70 bucks a month) when interest free deals are announced. This way my credit score goes up and I got new sounds to play with. Thus there was no dent in my wallet when I purchased it. Is the audio and features worth the tag? I'd say yes, it does feel a little bit too nice tho and with all the thousands of patches it comes with and flexibility to morph things, it kinda makes the process of sound designing feel a bit like ezmode which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending upon how you look at it.

I think I expect that though from a new synth above 1000 quid.

I've heard a lot of good things about Access, but personally I prefer the old analog equipment - at least for melodies and effects anyway. I am quite swayed in the modern direction to try out percussion on the very latest drum machines available, but when I create my own music, I like to push a synth to the limit in a certain sense - try my best to get the most unique sounds which were not really intended to be produced from such equipment. It feels so much more rewarding when doing things in this process, so that's why a lot of these modern digitalised synths on sale for huge amounts of money do not appeal to me, because like you say, it's such an easy process of making music. I can imagine how it would be, there's no fun in turning on a synth, and for the first time, you check out the arp patterns, and there's something there thrown right at you which sounds ace, but required little work to churn out that melody/pattern.

Still... Each to their own

Edited by mr maha

Guest hellomynameis

I think after using bits of analog gear that it is much more difficult to simply start of using analog per se but maybe perhaps use more VA's with more options then move to analog gear. I think I suffered as a result as my first two synths have been quite limited in a way but then again they are midi capable and as soon as I get the interface sorted then I hope that setting up sequences will be much easier.

Also arp's are fucking cool, whoever thought up using an arp or it's algorithm deserves a fucking medal!

I think I expect that though from a new synth above 1000 quid.

I've heard a lot of good things about Access, but personally I prefer the old analog equipment - at least for melodies and effects anyway. I am quite swayed in the modern direction to try out percussion on the very latest drum machines available, but when I create my own music, I like to push a synth to the limit in a certain sense - try my best to get the most unique sounds which were not really intended to be produced from such equipment. It feels so much more rewarding when doing things in this process, so that's why a lot of these modern digitalised synths on sale for huge amounts of money do not appeal to me, because like you say, it's such an easy process of making music. I can imagine how it would be, there's no fun in turning on a synth, and for the first time, you check out the arp patterns, and there's something there thrown right at you which sounds ace, but required little work to churn out that melody/pattern.

Still... Each to their own

Nothing is stopping you from going to your init patch. There are a few of them right there in your first ROM bank, and you can defiantly max out the synth's with its grain complex and format oscillators mixed with the mod matrix. Practically any value of the synth can be pushed beyond recognition and the worst thing that will happen is some of the 100 or so polyphony will be cut out under your sound. I'd hope that anyone who would reach for this kinda synth has obviously been able to max out something like a juno or a roland system 700 and especially soft synths on their computer.

I think the debate of whether this piece of machinery or that piece or doing things with any sort of limitation be it with recorded sound or writing out musical scores by hand is only meaningful to aid the creative process of the composer (I tend to work better in limitations myself as well) but I don't believe it speaks negatively about the means of production itself.

• 3 weeks later...

alright guise, i've moved interstate since my last pic, so here's my current setup (still in progress, have to connect most things up). i even labeled everything, how convenient!

modeystudio.jpg

not pictured are my guitar effects, which are as such:

generic wah pedal

behringer dd100 digital delay (great for gantz graf style glitching)

daphon phaser

daphon analog delay

dod death metal distortion

homemade big muff

zoom 505 multi-effects

homemade noise boxes (a noise generator plus a device that interferes with guitar pickups)

e-bow

and also a melodica and glockenspiel, and a couple of microphones.

.. so basically i now have enough equipment to record a 'rock band'. zole!

Guest hahathhat
got crates?

this is about how i imagine aphex twin's "studio" to be, except his would have more roland.

Nice but what are all those wood things with the thin strips of metal stretched across them for?

zole well what can i say, i'm more of a guitar person than a bleep box person. though i have been thinking of buying an old sampler to use with the drum kit.