IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Digital downloads should indeed be cheaper than tangible formats as they're cheaper to mass produce, but they still cost a bit to make that initial first master! Music's starting to become available more and more in lossless, DRM-free downloadable formats, which are perfect and all you could ask for. It's more books, films and TV shows that I'm worried about. Hardly any companies seem willing to put those in a DRM-free format, and until they do, the pirates have a superior product. Having said that, I think charging merely £1 for an album devalues it, giving the music fan the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the artist and record label don't think the music's worth any more, presumably because it isn't that good. It's a strange and interesting fact of life that the price of a product reflects not just how much it's objectively worth, but also the image the company wishes to portray. Making certain products more expensive can actually increase their sales as their elusive "quality," something impossible to actually quantify, is perceived as being greater even though nothing else has changed, just the price.

Zoe interesting arguments but I do believe that this sort of pricing is the future. If the aim is to sell music and stop piracy then it needs to get cheaper. Its the reason that Apple have managed to sell tonnes of software through their app store its because its cheap. I know myself that when something is just a few pounds I just think what the hell I'll buy it where as if its a bit more than that you think twice you know. You have to look at the here and now and the reality piracy is huge.

Yes, that's an interesting point. I can make my products as good as the pirated versions (no DRM, high quality) in every respect except for price. So I have to charge more than pirates, it's just a question of how much. What intrigues me more from a psychological or economical point of view is that selling a thousand copies of an album for £2.50 will get you the same amount of net income as selling five hundred copies for £5.00 and letting the other five hundred people pirate it. It's arguable that doing the latter will make your album seem higher quality. Having said that, I'm grossly oversimplifying things, and I don't know the statistics on how much people pirate music, nor how often they pirate it to try it out then end up buying it afterwards. You could even argue in the other direction and suggest that you should simply give away the music itself and sell tickets to concerts plus merchandise, or only sell the tangible vinyl / CD / whatever version of the albums, not the digital download. I don't really know which business model works yet. I just know I'm making some money from selling my albums to people for them to listen to it, and making much more from licensing my tracks out to indie filmmakers and game designers, and making custom scores for them. I think the best bet is to either play live, or make bespoke music, and I'm choosing the latter. As for the album sales, I really don't know what works, so you might well be right.

Re: the flake boxes on the top right of view. What kind of flake product is this ? (i'm a big flake fan)

Cadbury Flake from the UK

So you buy boxes of flakes.

You're the don my friend. ;-]

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

goodwill special

Good, it worked great for a little while, it's made of particle board and everything else is cheap too, get too happy playing your midi controller and you will notice it's infrastructure falling apart like the world economy.

Current set-up:

-Aspire 1 Notebook

-current Jeskola Buzz build

-Bose headphones

-Zoom H2 recorder

-various household objects for most of the sounds (doorbell, plastic cups, toilet seat, banjo, Korg MS-10, etc)

synth-cave.jpg

Studio sucks, where's the overflowing ashtray, and also there is no space for a coffee cup. So lame.

The studio although looks a lot of fun - its just overkill. Half those synths do the same thing or are superseded by another synth. In real terms having 20-40 bits of hardware is just stoopid 'cause a lot of them will overlap each other in terms of what you can get from them. I think more now than ever that less is more.

Edited by Promo