IGNORED

Aphex Twin references in this manga

Guest Vegeta897

Guest Vegeta897

I'm not very big into anime, but I do occasionally check one out that catches my interest. I watched it a while ago and thought it was pretty good. One of the things I thought was interesting was that at one point the characters get some fish and they name them "Richard" and "James". I thought this was a funny coincidence, obviously not giving the possibility that this was a subtle nod to the man himself.

But today I found out that it indeed was.

Turns out the artist of the comic is a fan of Aphex Twin, and makes several references to him throughout the manga. Some other artists are referenced as well, such as Square Pusher.

Observe:

ichigorefwa4.png

But that's not all. The most amazing thing is right here:

Apparantly this is some bonus page. Read from left to right, I have rather sloppily edited in the translations.

ichigoaphextranslatedmr4.jpg

I was amazed to find this. I love how the artist pokes fun at how Richard gives people random tracks instead of actually fulfilling a request. And the joke about the construction noises. Absolutely awesome.

Fan of anime or not, this is admittedly awesome.

Guest Caustic
what the fuck structure is that ?

Yeah,how the fuck can you read left to right if it's chucked all over the place?

Better layouts plz.

Guest monotoo

interesting, i have the japanese untranslated version... always wondered what they were saying. do you know if it's an accurate translation btw?

Guest Vegeta897
Why isn't that page from right to left?

I thought about that, I'm really not sure.

Also, the layout is seriously not that hard to understand if you know how to read comics. Also just by reading what they are saying you can figure out a logical progression. This is the order:

comiclayoutnd9.gif

Guest Romhotep

My finding of this thread inspired my girlfriend to download the series yesterday (she'd only seen the first ep but loved it). We watched the second and third ones, got to see Ana Coppola from Cornwall, or "Wall of Corn" as she translates it to her classmates. Very cute, and quite enjoyable.

Archived