IGNORED

Intro to Autechre

Guest tbio2007

Guest tbio2007

I just moved into Uni and I'm living with the trademark NME indie fan, how can I get him onto Autechre?

I've made a disk which I think covers there work well, not to progessive, not to ambient and is around the same length as one of their albums.

1) Kalpol Intro

2) Bike

3) Basscadet

4) Yulquen

5) Dael

6) Second Bad Vibel

7) Pen Exps (Confield)

8) LCC

9) Track number 5 of Untiltled, I forget what it is called.

What do you think?

i think indie kids just dont like autechre, and probably never will.

one of my nephynephnephs is an indie kid and he overheard me playing dropp and he was like "whaoh"... but then again, he looks up to me and thinks i'm the coolest dude ever!

that being said, i think you'll have a better chance introducing ae to a hip hop fan than an indie kid... most of my hip hop friends in cali dug ae stuff like cecc, gelk, the end of augmatic disport, suppierre... basically all the bass heavy tracks!

Guest ezkerraldean

indie kids tend to get to Autechre, Aphex etc. via Radiohead. I've never understood why, i can't stand radiohead, but once they get into them they suddenly want to listen to teh electronic music-superstarz.

If he is an indie kid, put the "happier" sounding tracks on there. Like slip.

I would do

Slip

Second Scepe

Tewe

Yeesland

laughing quarter

Dropp

Maphive

Kalpol Introl

Rae

Corc

Dael

Gelk

I would steer clear of the last three albums and gantz graf to start. But who knows. Confield was my favorite album the first time I heard it.

Guest earlgrey
Slip

Second Scepe

Tewe

Yeesland

laughing quarter

Dropp

Maphive

Kalpol Introl

Rae

Corc

Dael

Gelk

I would steer clear of the last three albums and gantz graf to start. But who knows. Confield was my favorite album the first time I heard it.

Rook, you blow me away with your impeccable Autechre taste once again.

i have nothing to add to the above post except maybe "try them on AFX or BOC first" ... although AE is my preferred practitioner in the style of That Genre, it might get a bit hardcore on the whole for a newb .. mind you, maybe indie youth would relate to the melancholy seriousness that AE tends to convey rather than the jokey or flippant aspects more explicitly present in the others' music.

I'm always impressed by how well you guys know Ae song titles well enough to come up with entire tracklists off the top of your heads (presumably). I just know Ae by album titles. And I know which track to identify as gantz graf, but being as it's on a single that's only to be expected. Other than that I have no idea which title goes with which song.

Guest earlgrey

i learned many of them by reading the Lonely Machines guide to Autechre as I was collecting their music, I think the author tends to describe each track very well considering how stumped most reviewers seem to be when it comes to describing AE albums, let alone individual tracks. reading the track title and their description of it as it was playing solidified a connection (for some of the tracks, at least).

Yea, I used to just identify ae tracks by what album they were on. Or I would make up my own names for them loosely based on the actual names. Like Parhelic Triangle, was always Pathetic Triangle. Whatever, just came with time.

• 2 weeks later...
i learned many of them by reading the Lonely Machines guide to Autechre as I was collecting their music, I think the author tends to describe each track very well considering how stumped most reviewers seem to be when it comes to describing AE albums, let alone individual tracks. reading the track title and their description of it as it was playing solidified a connection (for some of the tracks, at least).

thanx for the link. interesting site. i wonder why he hasn't done "untitiled" tho...

indie kids tend to get to Autechre, Aphex etc. via Radiohead. I've never understood why, i can't stand radiohead, but once they get into them they suddenly want to listen to teh electronic music-superstarz.

Thom York is an outspoken electronic music fan. Citing Aphex Twin as an influence and appearing that Squarepusher interview video. Ever hear the Radiohead album Kid A?

Archived