IGNORED

How and when did you hear about Aphex?

Q27

Guest MTS

Was driving with my family to my uncles house for his birthday when i was 13, on the radio they had an Aphex Twin spotlight or something, they were playing only aphex twin for a few hours. From what i remember the first song they played was windowlicker and i pretty much fell in love, before this i never liked any electronic music at all. we got to my uncles and everyone went inside, but the cunt that i am, i sat in the car for the next 2 hours and listened to the rest of the aphex twin spotlight. the next day i went and bought drukQs, windowlicker ep, come to daddy ep, i care because you do and the richard d james album, if it wasnt for that night i probably wouldn't have ever discoverd electronic music. anyway, thats my story.

That's pretty awesome, and a lot of Aphex to take in all at once, especially to fresh ears! I really wasn't into electronic music at all either until Aphex Twin came along and changed that

yeah dude im almost 20 now been a fan for years haha. got the afx logo tattooed on my back as well. seriously if it wasnt for his music i would have no purpose. thank fuck i was in that car when i was 13 haha.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was in the hospital for a week. i've got a laptop from the staff so i wouldn't be too muched bored. surfing through the net i came across "come to daddy". i was under painkillers and the video gave me a bad trip. since then i am hooked.

I saw the On video on MTV Europe's Chill Out Zone around 1994-1995 or something like that.

Guest Xenblake

back in the mid/late nineties and my local library had a started letting out cds, I was pretty much addicted and I'd be down there several times a week leafing through and looking for interesting stuff and new additions.

then one day there it was: aphex twin come to daddy e.p

Was driving with my family to my uncles house for his birthday when i was 13, on the radio they had an Aphex Twin spotlight or something, they were playing only aphex twin for a few hours. From what i remember the first song they played was windowlicker and i pretty much fell in love, before this i never liked any electronic music at all. we got to my uncles and everyone went inside, but the cunt that i am, i sat in the car for the next 2 hours and listened to the rest of the aphex twin spotlight. the next day i went and bought drukQs, windowlicker ep, come to daddy ep, i care because you do and the richard d james album, if it wasnt for that night i probably wouldn't have ever discoverd electronic music. anyway, thats my story.

That's pretty awesome, and a lot of Aphex to take in all at once, especially to fresh ears! I really wasn't into electronic music at all either until Aphex Twin came along and changed that

yeah dude im almost 20 now been a fan for years haha. got the afx logo tattooed on my back as well. seriously if it wasnt for his music i would have no purpose. thank fuck i was in that car when i was 13 haha.

hell yea, also on the Aphex logo tattoo, had an ex that really wanted me to do it, she liked the rubber jonny vid, she had suggested I get the logo done, even tho i'd already thought about it before but she had no idea. It is one of the only tattoos I've ever really seriously considered

back in the mid/late nineties and my local library had a started letting out cds, I was pretty much addicted and I'd be down there several times a week leafing through and looking for interesting stuff and new additions.

then one day there it was: aphex twin come to daddy e.p

nice, same album that got me hooked, borrowed the Come To Daddy cd from a buddy who was living with me, he was borrowing the cd from another buddy that he worked with who insisted he listen to it. I still have that exact copy to this day :rdjgrin:

It was 2005. and at that time I was regularly posting on ffinsider forum. One day I was going through the music subforum there and somebody started a thread called "Electronic music recommendations", or "Best electronic music" or something like that, and I saw the name Aphex Twin at like the top of the list of the OP's post, if I remeber correctly. I heard the Windowlicker first, and I remember how strange it sounded to me at first, yet so interesting. I remember how when I heard Acrid Avid Jam Shred and Wet Tip Hen Ax for the first time, Aphex basically immediately became my favourite artist. Cliffs and Curtains also played, among others, a big role here. Very soon after that I became pretty familiar with his entire discography.

It was 2005. and at that time I was regularly posting on ffinsider forum. One day I was going through the music subforum there and somebody started a thread called "Electronic music recommendations", or "Best electronic music" or something like that, and I saw the name Aphex Twin at like the top of the list of the OP's post, if I remeber correctly. I heard the Windowlicker first, and I remember how strange it sounded to me at first, yet so interesting. I remember how when I heard Acrid Avid Jam Shred and Wet Tip Hen Ax for the first time, Aphex basically immediately became my favourite artist. Cliffs and Curtains also played, among others, a big role here. Very soon after that I became pretty familiar with his entire discography.

It doesn't take much for some people to get into Aphex Twin. Got to love the old stuff, Cliffs and Xtal were instant likes for me, didn't hear curtains until I started buying full albums, at first I just had some random mp3's from one of those ancient peer to peer programs along with the Come to Daddy EP. Acrid Avid Jam Shred (anagram for Richard David James) was another great one to find right away in the random mp3s available

It doesn't take much for some people to get into Aphex Twin. Got to love the old stuff, Cliffs and Xtal were instant likes for me, didn't hear curtains until I started buying full albums, at first I just had some random mp3's from one of those ancient peer to peer programs along with the Come to Daddy EP. Acrid Avid Jam Shred (anagram for Richard David James) was another great one to find right away in the random mp3s available

Yeah, I think I used to have some Mp3's as well and it even had the Outside Violin Solo track on it. That was before I started getting really into Aphex again though.

i was walking along when a drunk old man stopped me, i thought he was going to ask for money, but instead he gave me a little paper bag with lttle green pills in and told me to take one, I wouldn't regret it.

I did and then magicly i was a fan of the band aphex twin. my life had changed forever and i went on to have a magical adventure in a giant peach with some anthropomorphic insects,. Good times.

iether that or i heard flim on the radio, im not sure.

My actual introduction to Aphex Twin was someone posting the Rubber Johnny video on the GTA: San Andreas PS2 board on gamefaqs.com.

I remember being really fascinated & freaked out.

So that was either 2004 or 5...

Guest jasondonervan

Around 1996, a mate of mine at college was getting copied tapes sent to him by his sister's boyfriend who was away at university, and clearly more clued in to the electronic zeitgeist than we were back then. This was our formative introduction to practically everything Warp, Mo Wax, Ninja Tune, etc from that time and earlier. It was all good stuff, but the SAW II double was a particular highlight and my first known exposure to Aphex. During a particularly warm summer that year, we would drive out to the countryside most evenings and blast out tunes on the car stereo in the middle of nowhere, watching the stars come out and all the planes/satellites flying by. As I'm sure you can imagine, that particular album was the perfect soundtrack for it. I still have hazy memories of walking around the grounds of a small church graveyard very late at night, with Lichen drifting up the hill from the car stereo... bliss.

A friend recommended it to me. at first i didn't like it (it was a couple of the less aphexy songs on drukqs) but later when I decided I was done with metal and wanted to branch out, SAW85-92 was highly acclaimed so I gave it a try.

And here we are today!

Guest spprw

i was in the hospital for a week. i've got a laptop from the staff so i wouldn't be too muched bored. surfing through the net i came across "come to daddy". i was under painkillers and the video gave me a bad trip. since then i am hooked.

on painkillers?

Guest drukqs11

can't rememeber really, but i think it was a friend who sended me come to daddy...then i listened to all of the discography, bought some albums and stuff, and well thats it...

• 4 weeks later...

a bit long story, but if you don't mind i share it with you.

during winter of 1996 i was in 1st grade at the university and the exams were pretty hard to pass, i was full of stress and stuff and needed something new. i found a local radio station ran by university students called Fiksz Radio, and there was a weekly show called Das Labor, where i heard Muslimgauze and Aphex Twin for the first time. the track was off ICBYD (The Waxen Pith) which totally grabbed me... the cold analog effects with the warm violoncello music! it was frenetic, i recorded the shows on tape, so i could listen to it again and again.

later i found a compilation called "State Of The Art 3-4" (2CD) with Alberto Balsalm on it which i liked as well, then decided to give it a go and bought ICBYD and RDJ Album for hell a lot of money. when i first tried to listen to ICBYD i was shocked, i couldn't even listen to the whole album. i stopped the CD player, and didn't even check RDJ album. i was pretty confused and thought it was such a worng deal. i got disappointed and have put the CD's away.

this was the case till Come To Daddy came on when i read a nice piece of article in a local music magazine called "Z", then saw the online videoclip on Warpnet and rushed to a store and bought the CD. it was my first Aphex stuff that i loved for the first time.

then i came across older things on the net (HAB1-2, AB5 - ripped and converted into Real Audio! :wacko: ), then bought the remixes and the EPs (Ventolin, etc.), and found myself checking out the already bought CD's once again... and again and again... :music:

I first heard Aphex Twin whilst making sweet, sweet love to my then girlfriend, at University. She had some mix tape that one of her friends had done for her, and on it were Heliosphan and Tha. I did not actually know who made the tracks til a couple of years later. I was kinda hooked on Aphex before i knew Aphex.

• 1 year later...

This one time boc was and out of nowhere rdj came out and said "yo" and he took away all of my boc collection and replaced it with albums full of aphex airlines. So i was like "damn you man with long hair!" And then i went to cornwall in atlantis and found him drunk and sleeping. So i took his cds and my cds back. And then i saw on the front of his house "Da Afex Twen" and i got home and i listened to analord.tru stor imo

2001, having dinner, talking to my older brother about at the drive in and how i liked all the details i only noticed after a while, like organs and synths in the background, he said listen to aphex twin and warp records, so i did and here i am.

Guest Rulohead32

I will always remember that day. It was October 4th 2011, the day I had my braces put on. When I arrived house, I was watching weird videos until i came up with Come to Daddy. I liked it and searched more Aphex videos, like Vordhosbn and Windowlicker. The I opened Spotify and I was all the afternoon listening Aphex songs. That was also the day I got into idm.

The metal of the braces somehow fitted with the metal sounds of Richard D. James Album, it was a mystical connection, like a metallic and electric connection that tied me up to the deepest idm. Then later it came Autechre, Squarepusher, Plaid and recently µ-Ziq and 0PN.

But tomorrow they remove my braces. I'm scared that when I don't have them, that connection will disappear.

I will always remember that day. It was October 4th 2011, the day I had my braces put on. When I arrived house, I was watching weird videos until i came up with Come to Daddy. I liked it and searched more Aphex videos, like Vordhosbn and Windowlicker. The I opened Spotify and I was all the afternoon listening Aphex songs. That was also the day I got into idm.

The metal of the braces somehow fitted with the metal sounds of Richard D. James Album, it was a mystical connection, like a metallic and electric connection that tied me up to the deepest idm. Then later it came Autechre, Squarepusher, Plaid and recently µ-Ziq and 0PN.

But tomorrow they remove my braces. I'm scared that when I don't have them, that connection will disappear.

Related video search on youtube. Not weird stuff tough, just idm'z.

I think It might have been the same day I found this:

First song by him was Girl/Boy, then I spent the rest of the day on youtube. Then I found out about µ-Ziq, Squarepusher, Clark, Plaid, etc.

Then I got into Breakcore.

Then I got into Dancecore.

Then I got into Autechre.

Then I got into Ambient.

Then I got into BoC.

Then I got into Noise.

Then I got into OPN.

I don't know what the fuck I'm into now.

Archived