IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Funnily enough when Herbert came on the scene (or maybe it was slightly after), everyone considered him 'new wave', breaking from the pulpy non-literature SF that came before it. I guess writers like Dick, Aldis and obviously Ballard hold up a bit better nowadays in that regard.

herbert wasn't really new wave. he wasn't avant garde in the way michael moorcock or zelazny was. he basically was the endpoint of old school sf. ballard, alfred bester, leigh brackett, even dick all wrote work that predate dune and are far more avant garde and experimental in terms of literary sensibility. i think of herbert like asimov, attempting to change his work to fit the fashion of the time as classic sf slowly became obsolete during the sixties. dune has a lot of great ideas in it, really strong imagery and world building, but it's a product of a fifties imagination that happened to be concerned with issues of the sixties, but it isn't of the sixties, in the same way as the more progressive, younger writers.

Edited by keanu reeves

native son: now here's a goodn. thoroughly enjoying this (enjoying meaning its sad but fulfilling)

curtis' modern architecture since 1900 - an standard with which all other histories are judged. the definitive canon of work across the world delivered with humorous and critical prose. just. the. best!

Just finished Books of Blood volumes 1-3. Cannot wait to read the rest of Barkers work, I don't understand why I never read him back in the day (probably because I had the stupid and foolish mindset that if it wasn't Stephen King it wasn't worth reading)

Read The Road over the course of 3 evenings... Really beautiful book all the way through

EXCEPT for the ending where Clint Eastwood & wife come to save the day just 3 days after Papa dies, which kind of dillutes the whole experience. Cormac hinted at the fact that they were being followed a couple times iirc, but still. Kinda cheap.

Started reading The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero (who plays Mark in The Room). Hard to put down, especially being a huge fan of The Room and Tommy's personality. Some of Greg and Tommy's interactions sound like fan fiction, but I'm trusting that Greg isn't playing things over the top to sell more books. I'd give Greg the benefit of the doubt because of Tommy's eccentricities 

the book's pretty short, should be finished in a day or so

Started reading The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero (who plays Mark in The Room). Hard to put down, especially being a huge fan of The Room and Tommy's personality. Some of Greg and Tommy's interactions sound like fan fiction, but I'm trusting that Greg isn't playing things over the top to sell more books. I'd give Greg the benefit of the doubt because of Tommy's eccentricities

I want everything in this book to be real. Wiseau is a fascinating human being. Great read.

Sad they didn't cast Greg as himself in the movie, wasted opportunity imo.

I want everything in this book to be real. Wiseau is a fascinating human being. Great read.

Ya i guess Dave Franco is playing Mark. I mean, from what I've read so far, Tommy and Greg's relationship sort of forms a kind of buddy movie with Tommy being the one with the crazy big ideas that aren't fully realized and Greg being the voice of reason for Tommy, while still just going along for the ride. I'm sure Dave and James Franco will have some on screen chemistry by being brothers

Ya i guess Dave Franco is playing Mark. I mean, from what I've read so far, Tommy and Greg's relationship sort of forms a kind of buddy movie with Tommy being the one with the crazy big ideas that aren't fully realized and Greg being the voice of reason for Tommy, while still just going along for the ride. I'm sure Dave and James Franco will have some on screen chemistry by being brothers

Wait so James Franco is playing Tommy??? I thought he was just directing uuuuggghhh

Wait so James Franco is playing Tommy??? I thought he was just directing uuuuggghhh

Directing and acting

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521126/

Gasset's Revolt of the Masses. Seems to mostly consist of a rant about how the bottom half of the white collar set looks down on poshos and thinks it knows what's best for the proles. Oh and they take stuff for granted too.

Interesting to think who he would call Mass-Men were he alive today. Mail readers or Guardian readers? Or both?

I enjoyed The Disaster Artist, read most of it when I walked into a cafe in Vauxhall that I took to be a greasy spoon but was a twee nightmare. Paid ten quid for a full English. Anyway. He gets the balance right between laughing at Tommy whilst making him sympathetic, I'm sure the film will be awful.

Franz Kafke - The Castle.

Reading after getting fairly into The Trial. This is currently working in the same vein which I quite like. Haven't noticed how far I am through as it's part of a collection in a single book and haven't looked ahead. Guess I'm about half way. Enjoying so far.

I enjoyed The Disaster Artist, read most of it when I walked into a cafe in Vauxhall that I took to be a greasy spoon but was a twee nightmare. Paid ten quid for a full English. Anyway. He gets the balance right between laughing at Tommy whilst making him sympathetic, I'm sure the film will be awful.

A mate of mine ordered me a pair of Tommy Wiseau-branded undercrackers for my birthday a few years ago, proper Y-front job, came with a signed photo of the man (?) himself. Can't quite bring myself to wear them.

i think of herbert like asimov, attempting to change his work to fit the fashion of the time as classic sf slowly became obsolete during the sixties. dune has a lot of great ideas in it, really strong imagery and world building, but it's a product of a fifties imagination

I appreciate this. I'm a pretty lazy reader, maybe 5 books a year. I read Dune when I was 17 and my family was about to move across the country and all my shit was in boxes so I didn't have much else to do. I've tried to re-read it a few times since and I couldn't put my finger on why I couldn't get past page 12 or so, but have no problem reading e.g. any PKD. What you said rings true, both about the fifties imagination and the Asimov comparison, although there is something else about Asimov that I find a lot more interesting. Maybe it's a bit more imaginative, it doesn't have that pop-nerd-reek to it like so many things begging to get made into a movie.

i think of herbert like asimov, attempting to change his work to fit the fashion of the time as classic sf slowly became obsolete during the sixties. dune has a lot of great ideas in it, really strong imagery and world building, but it's a product of a fifties imagination

and I couldn't put my finger on why I couldn't get past page 12 

The main character of s sci-fi epic being called Paul always done it for me. 

It's about a man who trepanated himself. A trepanation is an operation where a little hole is drilled into the skull. He seeked to expand his mind and get to a higher level of consciousness by doing that - and it worked

no it didn't

It's about a man who trepanated himself. A trepanation is an operation where a little hole is drilled into the skull. He seeked to expand his mind and get to a higher level of consciousness by doing that - and it worked

no it didn't

Well, some would consider his mental state a neurological problem - but for him it worked, he feels high all the time now

Bore Hole

I'm now reading an interview with the guy and it's making me kinda nauseous, so thanks for that

no it didn't

Well, some would consider his mental state a neurological problem - but for him it worked, he feels high all the time now

uswolH.gif