IGNORED

New Autechre/Hafler Trio collaboration

Guest Ephphatha

Guest Ephphatha
i must be missing out on some of H30's recent work being the one of the 'best electronic artists of our time'

perhaps someone can suggest a release that's particularly good and does not cost $50 ?

You certainly are missing out. Try any one of the three parts of the "Trilogy" - 'Cleave: 9 great openings', 'No man put asunder' or 'No more twain, of one flesh'. 'Scissors cut arrow' is also amazingly good, as is 'How to slice a loaf of bread' - i'm proud to say i have all these (& many others) - but you may find them hard to track down. All three parts of the "Trilogy" can still be bought pretty easily. Around $20-30.

& while you're at it, "EXACTLY AS I SAY" & "EXACTLY AS I AM" are also superb.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ephphatha
I have one Hafler Trio album. I don't like it at all and listened to it once. It is one of their older ones. I'll probably get this though. Even though I don't have a 5.1 system...

The earlier work makes much more use of field recordings. Pretty much everything since 2002/3 has been very much more diffuse & spacious, superficially at least. A very different sound world.

i must be missing out on some of H30's recent work being the one of the 'best electronic artists of our time'

perhaps someone can suggest a release that's particularly good and does not cost $50 ?

You certainly are missing out. Try any one of the three parts of the "Trilogy" - 'Cleave: 9 great openings', 'No man put asunder' or 'No more twain, of one flesh'. 'Scissors cut arrow' is also amazingly good, as is 'How to slice a loaf of bread' - i'm proud to say i have all these (& many others) - but you may find them hard to track down. All three parts of the "Trilogy" can still be bought pretty easily. Around $20-30.

& while you're at it, "EXACTLY AS I SAY" & "EXACTLY AS I AM" are also superb.

ok youve just given me a lot of stuff to check out

maybe if i list my fave H30 you can narrow it down for me ?

my favorite : A Thirsty Fish (1994)

my favorite early work : Bang! an Open Letter (1984)

my favorite recordings of andrew mckenzie masturbating: FUCK (1991)

their field recording work strikes me the most because i havent heard anything else quite it like it. The AE / h30 collaborations so far sound like pretty non descript textural ambient/drone stuff (well done for the genre but not something i would ever pick out to listen to over other ambient stuff). Preferably id like to be pointed in a different direction of H30's material than that type of stuff.

Exactly As I Am is utterly ace. I paid like £12 for it (Forced Exposure has it for $24), Almost 2 hours of drone loveliness. The first disc is like walking out of a big cavernous cave into the cricket filled countryside at midnight and slowly drifting into a drug fuelled sleep only to wake up in the cave again, the second is a recording of a slowly dying memory of a choir.

I'm looking forward to the DVDs very much and for only 20 euros ?!!

EDIT: Hmm, I didn't see that you weren't a fan of the ambient drone stuff. Maybe go for either Kill The King or Mastery of Money, both are a mixture of field recordings, scary buzzes and textures and general creepy other worldly style noises, the former I made the first few minutes into a likkle video:

to clarify this release is NOT a 5.1 release is it? i assumed it was just on dvd because it was more than 80 minutes long, and is this going to be on 2 separate DVDs? if so i wonder why because wouldnt both tracks fit on one.

if this is a 5.1 release im actually quite excited about it, there (believe it or not) is almost ZERO ambient/drone stuff on 5.1 surround sound. I've only been able to track down maybe 5-6 experimental music 5.1 dvds, the morton subotnick quadraphonic re-encodes to 5.1 being the best. but strangely no ambient music mostly older academic guys or kraut rock like Faust

to clarify this release is NOT a 5.1 release is it?

A U T E C H R E & T H E H A F L E R T R I O 'ah3eo&ha3oe'

DOUBLE AUDIO DVD (5.1. Version) (DS94)

So yeah, I reckon it IS 5.1. Certainly the limited edition version of Hafler Trio's Exactly As I Say was in 5.1, so I'm guessing he has the production equipment of such things.

to clarify this release is NOT a 5.1 release is it?

So yeah, I reckon it IS 5.1. Certainly the limited edition version of Hafler Trio's Exactly As I Say was in 5.1, so I'm guessing he has the production equipment of such things.

that's a 5.1 release i tried to track down with no luck, i had forgotten about that one earlier. In fact that might be the first drone/ambient 5.1 release ever.

Guest Ephphatha

Yes, this new collaboration is only available in 5.1. At the start of the year, when Andrew McKenzie first revealed this release was going to happen, he mentioned it would be in a format that would 'annoy' many. i guess that's because it's only on DVD & there's no regular stereo version. i don't have a 5.1 system at home, but i'll be buying this nonetheless!

i've got the limited edition of Exactly As I Say (you can see the photos i took of it here: http://www.hardformat.org/?p=84), & it's rather lovely. That came with a new piece in 5.1, so clearly it's something McKenzie's interested in.

i'm a big fan of releases like "Exactly as i do" (cost me 15 euros btw.. cheap for 2 great hours of music). i'm not sure you'll like it robbie, pretty minimal & quiet. but that's another story.

anyway, from another talented Robert, acousmatic/ambient master. mindblowing as well (stereo & 5.1 versions, DVD), dont miss out this wicked one :

http://www.electrocd.com/fr/cat/imed_0575/

the few numbers of ambient / acousmatic / drone 5.1 releases is a mystery to me. as a genre or context, ambient is based on sound rather than melodies so it would fit perfectly with that kind of music. i would not like to listen to "God only knows" on 5.1 tho, that would distract me i guess.

perhaps its difficult to produce & mix?

• 2 weeks later...
Erasure are releasing some stuff in 5.1 dolby early next year.

ha!

i hate to say it but the best use of the 5.1 field ive heard in a normal music recording was on BT's last 1,000,000 budget electronic music album.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ephphatha

Latest news from the great diva, Andrew McKenzie, is that the Autechre collaboration will now be released in the new year - apparently, there have been some "legal problems" which are now "ironed out", but now there are "logistical problems"...

Guest AOOproductions

A 2 hour piece by Autechre? This sounds awesome because one of the things I want Autechre to do is release some of their live material. So in some ways this could be the closest thing to it. :beer:

A 2 hour piece by Autechre? This sounds awesome because one of the things I want Autechre to do is release some of their live material. So in some ways this could be the closest thing to it. :beer:

sorry but i dont think you understand what the Ae and Hafler trio collabs are all about, its a very ambient, drone sort of thing with absoultely no beats or anything like that, just alot of really cool noises flowing interestingly about.

don't expect anything you can bob your head to

Guest Ephphatha

Absolutely right, hauntingsoul.

Expect something you can bob your mind & probably your soul to.

It's actually 2x2 hour pieces by Autechre and Hafler (or 240mins:03 secs to be precise)

Latest news from the great diva, Andrew McKenzie, is that the Autechre collaboration will now be released in the new year - apparently, there have been some "legal problems" which are now "ironed out", but now there are "logistical problems"...

lol , i didnt even see that you had said diva but i was about to be like woah daddy

sorry but i dont think you understand what the Ae and Hafler trio collabs are all about, its a very ambient, drone sort of thing with absoultely no beats or anything like that, just alot of really cool noises flowing interestingly about.

Miiind... it could change? No? That would be awesome... a live 2 hour set with Ae on beat fuckery and Hafler on general drones and synth burbles. Oh God. Please?

Though, that definitely isn't going to be the case with this one. 2x2 hours still sounds pretty good though, regardless of genre (maybe?)

• 2 months later...

From the latest Diestadt newsletter :

"A Happy New Year to Everybody !

This first list in 2009 unfortunately does not include the AUTECHRE/H3O

Double Audio DVD (as listed in the last mail order update back in October).

This is due to problems with the master tape which had to be done again.

This new copy is now on it's way to the US where SIMPLY SUPERIOR will

overlook the pressing of the discs. The finished discs will be send to

Bremen then where the covers are being printed. We hope that everything will

be ready until the end of Febuary. Sorry for this delay. We are sure the

finished thing will be worth the waiting though !"

I'm kind of glad it was delayed. I'm not in the mood to shell out sixty dollars for this right now.

I'd gladly shell out 100 dollars for a double album of AE professionally producing their last two live sets though.

• 2 months later...

Archived