IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

Anybody seen Bright Star? It was very :cry: but it was also very well made, beautiful to look at, and contained some of the best performances I've seen in anything for many years.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

It's in my queue.... glad to hear good things.

Yeah, I don't even like poetry but Bright Star almost convinced me that I do.

I have a DVD rip of it and have been hesitant knowing the french blu ray is coming out soon... so I may just wait for that. It's a beautiful film from what little I have read on it.

Guest Mirezzi

I have a DVD rip of it and have been hesitant knowing the french blu ray is coming out soon... so I may just wait for that. It's a beautiful film from what little I have read on it.

I have a 40" LCD and as geeky techophile as I am, Blu-ray just isn't as mandatory as I once thought...I now just watch things on DVD because, provided the transfer is good, I don't notice an exceptional difference.

That being said, I'm working up the funds to get a 60" which should change everything. :whistling:

I'm usually the same when it comes to older films... sometimes with these old transfers to blu ray the noise is too distracting.

On a different note, anyone see Dean Spanley? I was hootin' and hallerin' about it many months back. It has mafuckin' Peter O'Toole ffs.

don't mean to be a condescending douche, but what kind of TV do you have? I've seen 40" LCDs that look like absolute ass. If you're not noticing an exceptional quality difference with a blueray (especially stuff like Baraka, or Bladerunner) on a 40" TV, something is not right.

Guest Mirezzi

don't mean to be a condescending douche, but what kind of TV do you have? I've seen 40" LCDs that look like absolute ass. If you're not noticing an exceptional quality difference with a blueray (especially stuff like Baraka, or Bladerunner) on a 40" TV, something is not right.

Everybody has different ideas of what would constitute "exceptional" but by that I mean it's nothing I couldn't live without.

I have a Samsung LN-S4095D, which is now old I realize, but it's been a great TV.

I've also read, many times, about the whole 40" threshold and how Blu-ray really begins to shine at 50-60" or bigger.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

big star played locally and looked really boring from the trailer/synopsis

The Secret in Their Eyes - 8/10

This is an excellent film; I would put it up there with White Ribbon for best of 09. Aside from some cliched love story bits, this is a solid film: Well acted, smart writing, great use of colors and some unbelievable shots both in composition and technique. It was shot primarily hand-held, though tastefully and not the least bit pretentious. Quite the story as well!

i watched this up until

the rapist got released and he stepped into the elevator or something

then for some reason the subtitles stopped working, so i turned it off. did i miss much? i would watch the rest of it if my ps3 media center would let me fast forward, but it won't (:angry:), so i'd have to watch the whole thing all over, hoping the subs don't die on me again.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Could anyone suggest some crucial Bunuel? I've only seen The Phantom of Liberty and An Andalusian Dog (some time ago mind you) so far. I was suggested The Phantom of Liberty recently after enjoying Bertrand Blier's Buffet Froid.

My favorite Bunuel films are The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and The Exterminating Angel (recently got a nice Criterion treatment). I remember liking That Obscure Object of Desire, but don't remember much of it spare it left me sexually frustrated. Bunuel is superb with sexual tension.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

it was exactly what one would expect it to be from the trailers, I don't know how you peeps were expecting more

it annoyed me from the first minute when he's telling his rules and they come up on the screen in stupid text... i don't remember seeing the trailer for the film at all. my gf wanted to see it, i thought it was a pile of shite. where's the problem in that?

no problem, I just think its funny cause it really wasn't THAT bad and again its exactly what I expected

Iron Man 2 - 7.11/10

Pretty sure I feel it's slightly more entertaining than the first, although I can understand why some reviewers are disappointed by it. its still very refreshing to see decent acting and writing in a super hero film. I watched a pretty good camera rip of it and I'm pretty sure I'm still gonna pay to see a matinee of it with some homies on friday. Some of action scenes while short were cool enough I want to see them in a big theater.

Yeah, I agree. He was already an asshole IMO, but Rescue Dawn just made him seem......I dunno, like...fuck Herzog. What he did with this story was just disgusting.

also remember he'd already made documentary little dieter needs to fly which i haven't seen but maybe he felt justified in trivialising the story after treating it with respect previously.

Guest tidbit

My favorite Bunuel films are The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and The Exterminating Angel ...

yap, definitely those two..

i also liked tristana... mind that deneuve is on it

I take it you didn't get a major in advertising sneak lol

you seem like most watmmers that you could handle a pretty fuct up film, so your description seems a bit scurry

Archived