IGNORED

Ae songs you dislike

Guest theSun

Guest theSun

since there's only a handful it's easier to sort them.

in order of most disliked

lentic catachresis

perlence

melve

.dial

fermium

autrichre

pule

krib

djarum

oupt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theSun

major wtf at rae cichli and the dranes.

i also really really like the beamonthannatrmx off basscad

Yeah, it's weird, everyone else seems to really dig Cichli, I just never got it. Annoying and repetitive with a cloying melody. There were some nice textures but of course that goes throughout Chiastic Slide. I love Cichlisuite which I guess are some kind of "remixes" of it.

The only nice thing I have to say about it is that both texturally and structurally (maybe rhythmically?) it bears quite a bit of resemblance to KeyNell 4, which is quite a bit less busy, and which I do like. I wonder what they would sound like mixed together.

Rae is actually OK, the chords remind me of a level from an old vector 3D game called Alpha Waves or Continuum. I just don't think it's up to stuff - basically the tracks I dislike have these kind of meandering melodies.

Also 444 is OK, I used to always skip it because the intro has another stupid melody but the drums are cool. They remind me of one of my favorite Susumu Yokota songs, "Kodomotachi".

Guest theSun

@ sweepstakes: how do you feel about windwind?

i see what you mean about rae. i just like how the beat feels all throughout, every little fill is A+ and the whole slow down thing, while those chords just float through. i can deal with a 1 loop melody if the beat is extra delicious.

recury (doesn't really go anywhere)

pule (though the last two minutes are pretty awesome)

flutter (i like the concept behind it, but it's just boring as fuck)

@ sweepstakes: how do you feel about windwind?

That's more of a dub/acid/evolving type thing, doesn't bother me. That's definitely not my favorite track on that album, though.

i see what you mean about rae. i just like how the beat feels all throughout, every little fill is A+ and the whole slow down thing, while those chords just float through. i can deal with a 1 loop melody if the beat is extra delicious.

Yeah that slowdown part is nice and then that plucky synth that sounds kind of like Goz Quarter. Just that melody messes it all up, makes me not trust it.

God I fucking hate melve so much.

Haha. I actually like it, maybe because it sounds like Autechre but there's nothing blatantly weird going on except that creepy "voice" at the end. And it along with Caliper Remote it was the only interstitial type of track they did... until Quaristice, I guess?

WHY THE FUCK DOES OUTPT KEEP COMING UP!?

It's dynamically quite meh. That and when I listen to it it just makes me think of the song Limelight by Apparat (listen to them they are nearly identical). I know the Apparat song came way later but I heard it before I heard Output so the comparison always comes into my head.

If it makes you happy though I take Output off my list and replace it with Liccflii

It's dynamically quite meh. That and when I listen to it it just makes me think of the song Limelight by Apparat (listen to them they are nearly identical). I know the Apparat song came way later but I heard it before I heard Output so the comparison always comes into my head.

If it makes you happy though I take Output off my list and replace it with Liccflii

i would have agreed with liccflii before today, but i listened to ep7 again today and it's growing on me!

Autriche

Bronchus 2

Djarum

Second Bad Vilbel

Blifil

Bine

Lentic Catachresis

All of Gantz Graf (sorry! the video is great though)

V-Proc

Reniform Puls

Ipacial Section

Fermium

PlyPhon

Steels

Outh9X

Flutter (like somebody said earlier, boring, goes nowhere)

Leterel

Hub (for as much as I love Chiastic this is an incredibly tedious track to listen to, though I usually anyway)

Most all of Confield except VI Scose Poise, Pen Expers, and Uviol

Both tracks of Splitrmx12 (neither go anywhere)

Dial.

Iera

Oh, and all the Haefler Trio collabs too

I agree that it's pretty squashed, but I feel that's part of its charm.

I just looked up Limelight on Youtube and I get what you're saying because that has a similar sounding synth and is squashed but "nearly identical" is way off. To be fair I'm on laptop speakers at the moment but I can hear that the similar (not identical) parts only comprise about 10% of the main loops of each. I think you're missing some details.

It's funny how the order in which you become acquainted with songs affects your perception, though, isn't it?

Bine

Lentic Catachresis

All of Gantz Graf (sorry! the video is great though)

V-Proc

Reniform Puls

Ipacial Section

wut.

It's all just a matter of taste, I like much of the new AE sound but these tracks just rub me the wrong way I guess. Aside from parts of Reniform and Ipacial there's really not much melody to them, the beats fail to get me in a groove, and worst of all i just can't stand the timbre on any of these. Each of these tracks have sounds which are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I would actually really like Reniform Puls if it weren't for one repeated high pitch buzzing sound in the second half which pretty much instantly gives me a headache. Shame as the first three minutes are gorgeous. But the fact that I only dislike about 10 songs out of literally hundreds is pretty fucking impressive, still my fav music ever.

Archived