IGNORED

House Music

Berk

In 2017 I've listened to Untouchables more than I've listened to any electronic music album released this year and that's a stone cold solid fact

Yeah Untouchables OST. Good times bro.

and for the record i can be a shameless mainstream dance whore... im actually working on a tropical house remix atm, (its getting on my nerve cuz its so light and airy and i just wanna drop a hard jackin beat under it, but it's for a label project thing and i wanna see it through lol), but yeah i love me some bigger than life ministry of sound radio type shit. ive always been a fan of soulful beachy house (like the actual beach house series from hed kandi), not what millenials are calling beach / chill house these days, which just sound like some ukuleles and finger snaps over some risers and edm template vocals etc. not gonna lie, some of the legit guys in tropical are great- kygo, boehme, etc, but most of the rest are 3rd rate copies and with tropical house, generic versions are for some reason more painful to hear than any other dance sub genre (not including dumbstep). its not even called "tropical" anymore, apparently the chinstrokers lump all that stuff in the "future house" category lol. but pretty much everything we hear whether big indie labels or mainstream top 40 has that tropical even if its not a 4/4 beat. anyway, some of it is cool and relaxing, but to me the real chillout stuff is the Balearic stuff and the soulful house and discohouse of the 90s and early 2000s. where house, trance, funk, disco, and even new age (enigma and other acts). sorry these posts are such a tangent. but basically anything ibiza resonates with me for some reason whether its obscure early 90s Balearic beat, tiesto's in search of sunrise series, acts like milk & sugar, or even that one off spinnin records single with a sundrenched hard trance vibe. here's an example of how it doesnt matter how underground or mainstream something is- maybe its cuz im song / track oriented, moreso than artist oriented, but if it has feeling and makes you move, its fucking awesome:

Disclaimer- these are ALL sunkissed ibiza stuff, sorry to throw it in your face, but its my addiction lol

(classic, classic- reminds me of orbital's halcyon a bit - could be all time most beautiful trance track ive ever heard)

(living and beautiful example of how not all current "edm" is bad. hate the spinnin sound for the most part, but this is an exception

(never thought id hear a dance remix of pac that actually does his flow justice, but goddamn.

(this was on the progressive house beatport charts for a bit in 2010, and it stuck with me)

this is an absolute tribal house banger and my favorite use of horn samples in any track ever- runner up is actually jay z / beyonce crazy in love lol

(needs no intro)

try not to watch the cheesy ass vid, but just go out near some palm trees if you have one, and tell me you dont feel alive

i could go on and on and prob will in a future post, but yeah hope you guys enjoy these tracks if you havent already heard em :) 

Edited by Lane Visitor

In 2017 I've listened to Untouchables more than I've listened to any electronic music album released this year and that's a stone cold solid fact

admit to being slightly dazed by the direction of things here, cripes is my only honest Boris Johnson euphemism for the above line if its true

pass this man a Carcass lp asap cos i had to google Untouchables

anyway, House nation..... Cabaret Voltaire & Richard H Kirk are well worth including in a House thread, this pitched down beast is my favourite off the Plasticity lp

RHK's aliases are so diverse & varied, but he put out some schweeeeeeet gear early to mid 90's

Sandoz's "Digital Lifeforms" has a bevy of beauties

https://www.discogs.com/Sandoz-Digital-Lifeforms/release/47103

Electronic Eye - Closed Circuit has all kinds of genres including House:

https://www.discogs.com/Electronic-Eye-Closed-Circuit/master/112616

favourites are Aquamarine Sheen & Bush Channel Stepper

https://www.beatport.com/track/aquamarine-sheen-original-mix/4331450

i could go on and on and prob will in a future post, but yeah hope you guys enjoy these tracks if you havent already heard em :) 

if yer looking for production inspiration you could do a lot worse than A Man Called Adam  (zero bikini shots on their record sleeves doe) or maybe have a rummage through some older Alfredo mixes?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/113-A-Man-Called-Adam

its summat that Naked Music & Miguel Migs kinda got trapped by, finding a template & then replicating ad infinitum, dodgy ladies lying on beaches themed record sleeves, never ends well, add the attached Ibiza bandwagon which isnt even authentic Balearic, thats why Alfredo is such a good source cos of all the Italian disco etc

Larry Heard's label Alleviated isnt as busy as it used to be, but his mixes still shine brightly, loads online, the one with Kenny Dixon Jr is a blast

Man i dont know, that seems a little nitpicky re: miguel migs / nude music. I mean the loungey poolside vibes is kind of the whole feel with that stuff, in a similay way that hed kandi is, so that sort of imagery makes sense. Sure its a bit generic and maybe gaudy / sleazy, but the ibiza side of house is an adventurous, exotic and glamorous one, so it makes sense to see palm trees, bikinis, and cocktails. Plus from what I remember nude music and salted are more on the afrocentric and spiritual tip than fashion.. Also doesnt mean the music doesnt have depth. Some of the stuff he did with Lisa Shaw is just top notch soulful house. Lets not forget that house came from disco -- which you cant get anymore glamorous and glitzy than that lol sure it was ghettofab but it was still fab *welcome 2 the diamond life*

Edited by Lane Visitor

Man i dont know, that seems a little nitpicky re: miguel migs / nude music. I mean the loungey poolside vibes is kind of the whole feel with that stuff, in a similay way that hed kandi is, so that sort of imagery makes sense. Sure its a bit generic and maybe gaudy / sleazy, but the ibiza side of house is an adventurous, exotic and glamorous one, so it makes sense to see palm trees, bikinis, and cocktails. Plus from what I remember nude music and salted are more on the afrocentric and spiritual tip than fashion.. Also doesnt mean the music doesnt have depth. Some of the stuff he did with Lisa Shaw is just top notch soulful house. Lets not forget that house came from disco -- which you cant get anymore glamorous and glitzy than that lol sure it was ghettofab but it was still fab *welcome 2 the diamond life*

i just think the record sleeves are gaudy, a cheap aesthetic to draw in the male gaze, nuffink particularly spiritual or exotic about cliches & remember Ibiza was a hippy enclave b4 commercialization ran roughshod over the gaff

thats not shitting on your specific tastes, more the design ethos by Migs & co

have you had a dig around Still Music out of Chicago? some meaty beasts indeed:

https://www.discogs.com/label/41471-Still-Music

you seem to see this as a nostalgia fest & age related, that its about whats fresh and cool now, that some of us are clinging on by our fingernails to lost memories

if you wanna keep spanning, see even google recognizes it as a verb, feel free, but dont talk the talk if you dont know the subject to begin with

just look at the nu-metal bs abortions you've outlined in this thread, havent you got to jell your hair and go buy a bike chain to hang from those badly fitting jeans or summat? i cant even take you seriously as a metal lover, nevermind what you think about House

so, do your worst chap, its a short life

https://youtu.be/DuyrzxJQd9c

The Herbert track & Avon Sparkle's release are avinit,but the rest are pretty standard/boring record crate filler

listing a bunch of tunes with a 4/4 tempo is confirmation bias, you're bright enough to know that so i get "the point", but a track has to have bit more gwaaan on surely?

i listened to the last 2 a few times & they're pretty empty, particularly if you compare them to Herbert, but that Akufen was the most annoying of all with that cram as many samples per bar system that Jacob London & all that jacking wank replicated.....i'll spare you a list of youlube comparisons but there are much more rounded AKufen productions than the one cited

cheers for the Herbert flashback, will have to incorporate some of his tracks from that release into a new mix, but your quality control is lacking so 6/10 for that micro-mix cross section cos that'll never hold a dancefloor nevermind the ADHD of most people today

"It's just fucking dance music!"

yes & no, depends a lot on who your benchmarks are & what their values are/were

music isnt a paint it by numbers art form, if you fancy fucking around with some tunes i'd be right up for seeing if something could be done in terms of exchanging ideas on anything yer working on & whats under wraps here, 4 ears better than 2 etc although time is an issue

you don't even know the lengths cwmbran goes to to unearth these hidden gems

considering you havent posted one track i'll take it yer another idm hipster clone, rather than a Shane Warne wrong 'un bowling folks around their legs

"bowling Warney, bowling"

at least Spiral has production chops