IGNORED

If Aphex Twin released an album

perunamuusi

Composed entirely on vintage Singer sewing machines and doorbells. How much would you pay to get some of those classic machines from eBay or craigslist? I would probably go up to a £1000 for this classic model (pictured) but I may go higher if i could get one kitted out with some neat mods (extra bobbin / twin needle carriage / foot pedal etc)

1970029024_4b7c903a84.jpg

Also, keep an eye out for lesser known Russian Gems like these... in the 50s Russian Sewing Machine companies acquired some obsolete engineers drawings for outdated Western machines and started cheaply producing these models. The build quality is often not as sturdy as a Singer but they often have their own idiosyncratic characteristics and are well worth seeking out too.

tyrty.jpg

Guest ryanmcallister

lol.

i had this idea the other day that it would be brilliant to stock up a warehouse with some cheap piece of gear, then get famous, write amazing music with said gear making said gear skyrocket in value, then sell said gear and make millions.

like if aphex had bought 1000 303's how rich (no pun intended) would he be now? the ability to dictate the value of an item could be very profitable....muahahaha.

It's well worth looking for an old Trident on eBay too. You could probably pick one up for under £50 before the next Aphex Twin album. Well worth it. These badboys have a solid steel chassis and most models come with their original leather clad cases. I imagine the resale value of a standard Trident would probably be upwards of £400 were the Aphex twin to release an album of Vintage Sewing Machine sounds.

71twch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lube Saibot

Composed entirely on vintage Singer sewing machines and doorbells. How much would you pay to get some of those classic machines from eBay or craigslist? I would probably go up to a £1000 for this classic model (pictured) but I may go higher if i could get one kitted out with some neat mods (extra bobbin / twin needle carriage / foot pedal etc)

1970029024_4b7c903a84.jpg

I have one of those downstairs. 1000 quid you say?

...Go Richard go!

Actually, my mother has like 3 of those oldschool singer machines in your OP ludd!

My Mum had one but she moved to Spain a few years ago and it doesn't seem like the sort of thing she would take with her.

Guest gabrielconroy

Actually, all joking aside, I bet you could get some pretty good beats out of those Singers. Like the other day, I was playing chess for a team, and all the clocks were ticking slightly out of phase with each other in such a way as to sound pretty fucking good. Slightly distracting though.

Actually, all joking aside, I bet you could get some pretty good beats out of those Singers. Like the other day, I was playing chess for a team, and all the clocks were ticking slightly out of phase with each other in such a way as to sound pretty fucking good. Slightly distracting though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v-uDhcDyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOlSMSx-B3Y

Guest ryanmcallister

i don't get this current trend that has everyone obsessing over boutique analog sewing machines that cost $5 20 years ago... i mean come on... it's 2010, we should be craving ridiculously high thread counts and researching methods of digital algorithmic composition.

think...what would autechre sew?

The Truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Pe5Ce1Rec&feature=related

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived