IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

my opinion about the fake leak is that it's not that guy's business whether people prefer autechre as a name brand

you know when you get an autechre record that it's going to be excellent, that's why people want name-brand artists

they have proven that their output is of consistently high quality and you can count on it

this guy leaked his fake to generate personal hype despite what he says to the contrary

also, if all these people have promos, wheres all the promo for it?

they are afraid to leak it, if they get found out by WARP, WARP may take them off the promo list.

it's similar to why reporters didn't speak that badly about George W Bush for such a long time, they didnt want to loose exclusive access to interviews with his staff, etc

i mean where is all the written promo. dont those people get it to promote it? write about it? etc

they are probably all shaking in their boots too because the WARP instructions probably told them to wait at least a month before or something

i cant think of another reason why they wouldn't be talking about it yet unless they were scared

they are probably all shaking in their boots too because the WARP instructions probably told them to wait at least a month before or something

i cant think of another reason why they wouldn't be talking about it yet unless they were scared

true. although if i were ae, all the promos i sent out would all be totally different and totally fake, creating mass hysteria. then the real thing would release on the original release date with out anyone ever having heard it.

in that perspective it kinda bothers me they're scrobbling the tracks on last.fm for all to see and twittering about it... bragsters!

WARP records never really know how to market their "big 4" anyway. As much as they seem to be trendy, as a label they are really conservative

A simple friggin 2 minute sample of the album on their website, or a mini promo site would have been enough to create a lot more positive buzz for their business. :facepalm:

A simple friggin 2 minute sample of the album on their website, or a mini promo site would have been enough to create a lot more positive buzz for their business. :facepalm:

might still be in the pipeline... i can't imagine warp keeping it to a simple track list / artwork until the day of release... they'll most likely release an album sampler

promos are generally watermarked with said persons info on them these days. I thought this was common knowledge no?

i thought it was common knowledge that this was a lie designed to scare a reviewer out of leaking it.

i had a Quaristice promo before it came out, and i assure you it was 100% identical digitally and aurally to the commercial CD.

Edited by Awepittance

promos are generally watermarked with said persons info on them these days. I thought this was common knowledge no?

scare tactics I'd say..

lulz awepittance beat me to it!

some promos are watermarked...

I remember having a EL P promo, with a voice comin' up every 2min saying " this promo belongs to Matthew Stagner" or something like that.

Matthew, you were the man !

Altered:Carbon - MySpace:

Fake Autechre

In response to the silly bit of internet nonsense of our LP being leaked as the new "Oversteps" album by Autechre, let us put a few things right.

The purpose of this "leak" had nothing to do with trying to pass an album off as Autechre, it was targeting those who will only listen to something for plain aesthetic value rather than for its content, and taking the complete piss out of those people. The ones who for example would buy a 12" with the sound of Aphex Twin's bowel movements, just because its RDJ and not for its artistic merit and content of the music, which is a sad fact about a few of the bigger Electronica artists. It only creates dissillusionment.

Our album had been renamed with the wrong titles and put on Soulseek, the people who found it were the ones causing the gossip and hysteria about its authenticity. We had said nothing about it until we asked someone to debunk it on a forum as the joke was getting a bit too big for our liking, despite personally finding it amusing, come on there's a fucking Reaktor sound from the Gaugear on one track.... Even we knew it wasn't authentic enough sounding to be believed. We don't care about promotion for this Altered:Carbon project, contrary to your thoughts on this stunt. We only came out to debunk. Let's face it here, if that had not happened with our album, somebody else would have leaked something else as "Oversteps" and the same thing would have happened.

Anyone in the Ae fanbase who knows and loves the work of Autechre will have known straight away from hearing any of these "fake" tracks that what they had downloaded was a tongue-in-cheek prank aimed at the "IDM fanboys" on certain internet forums and dismissed it there, and in no way aimed at taking anticipation off of the release of Oversteps. The ones who have the patience to wait for its' imminent release will be the most rewarded.

This was an exercise in seeing how quickly false information spreads. Sure, Fluorescent Grey proved this last time, seems no-one learned this time either. We have a lot of respect for both Rob and Sean and WARP Records having been influenced ourselves by their art, and in no way is this intentionally to piss them off. It's not like any Autechre fans are not going to buy "Oversteps" because of a fake release, get real. Anyone who got the fake and was disappointed, serves you right. Check facts before you distribute information, you have nobody to blame but yourselves here. If you love your artists, support them. Go to a show.

Maybe Ae even agree with us. Roll on March 22nd. We ordered our "Oversteps.." ;)

AUTECHRE - 1

IDIOTS - 0

Edited by parteE

It's not like any Autechre fans are not going to buy "Oversteps" because of a fake release, get real. Anyone who got the fake and was disappointed, serves you right.

I dunno, if this gets around on a lot of blogs/ last.fm it could put off the first time/casual listener who are curious this time around (because it kind of sucks). I only listened to the youtube promo (skipping), but that generic scary dark synth line at the start was so cheesy I'm surprised anyone had the patience to listen to the whole download.

(Glotches fake promo was way better!)

The purpose of this "leak" had nothing to do with trying to pass an album off as Autechre, it was targeting those who will only listen to something for plain aesthetic value rather than for its content, and taking the complete piss out of those people

Weird use of the word aesthetic. I think they mean literal or critical value or maybe symbolic-social. IE listening to the mp3 tag rather than the mp3?

So their idea was to make some people on a msg board look dumb by making them think their average music was in fact Autechre because they know their music is average? That is kind of retarded. They should just focus on making their music not so average. :tongue: If they knew what aesthetic means that might also help with this.

yes but does this still work? cd sales have been declining everywhere without exception, genre is irrelevant.

To me something like Avatar-day, the 16 minute free 3d preview for a select group of people months in advance to the release was a very smart marketing ploy to get word of mouth buzz going.

If you show absolutely nothing for the product you are hyping 2 months off, the word of mouth buzz can't possibly become more than 'im really excited to hear this'

it's antiquated as fuck to only give an early copy to a reviewer and not a fan imo, at least warp should make a youtube sampler like they did for Hudson Mohawke and Clark

Yeah, I really appreciated those samplers that were up for Totems Flare before it came out. I also like the samples that Planet-Mu puts on its website for releases both out and upcoming. It's like, sure you can download it, but you're getting poor quality and only a fraction of the track lengthwise. The mayhem that ensued from the Rephlex update was proof that doing shit like that works. Just do the digital release with "physical release to come." I would be so much more inclined to pre-order the Oversteps LPs than I already am if I could just have the WAV files right now to listen to while I wait to get some awesome vinyls.

for some reason i'm not 100% believing that Devine received a promo copy

sure he didn't prove it

but he is very close to warp (even released stuff on warp10) so it could be

Edited by o00o

some promos are watermarked...

I remember having a EL P promo, with a voice comin' up every 2min saying " this promo belongs to Matthew Stagner" or something like that.

Matthew, you were the man !

i dont think thats what Warp meant by watermarking, watermarking is when you put an invisible inaudible data along with the audio files so that if/when they leak the record company can trace it back to the original person. I honestly don't believe this has ever been done though i think it's always been a scar tactic from the record companies. A voice saying something would be identical on the same promo copy kind of like the new 2562 unbalance promo. again not a watermark , just annoying

We should just hack into one of these promo receiving dorks computers and grab the shit remotely. Anyone have the capability to do this? Better yet, let's get more gangster on this bitch. Lets stage a robbery at where they get their physical discs printed. Let's bug Rob and Sean's home phones. Let's hijack Warp's offices and hold them hostage.

i dont think thats what Warp meant by watermarking, watermarking is when you put an invisible inaudible data along with the audio files so that if/when they leak the record company can trace it back to the original person. I honestly don't believe this has ever been done though i think it's always been a scar tactic from the record companies. A voice saying something would be identical on the same promo copy kind of like the new 2562 unbalance promo. again not a watermark , just annoying

Warp20 (Recreated) Promo

R-1925824-1258531877.jpeg

Invisible even to a spectrograph?

just lowpass & highpass filter the whole track at some well chosen frequencies?

Anyone got a watermarked promo at hand?

We should just hack into one of these promo receiving dorks computers and grab the shit remotely. Anyone have the capability to do this? Better yet, let's get more gangster on this bitch. Lets stage a robbery at where they get their physical discs printed. Let's bug Rob and Sean's home phones. Let's hijack Warp's offices and hold them hostage.

even better, let's kidnap autechre themselves and keep them locked up in a basement chained to a nord lead, demanding that they make chiastic slide 2.

he has the tendency to be how do i say, a *little* bit of a show boater . If you got a fucking promo copy at least elaborate on it instead of teasing the shit out of people

agree he is like that with equipment too

Guest DavBrav

Hi there - figured I'd resurrect the old account and chime in. Flattering to actually have some readers on my personal blog, which is usually just the friends/coworkers I nag about it :). The promo I have is legit, and to clarify about my blog/Twitter posts, these are really just my thoughts at the moment. I make no claim about being omniscient when it comes to music; writing about music is subjective, after all.

Anyway, realizing that you all seem to know Ae's music back and forth (as do I, admittedly), I do have an interview with Sean Booth coming up, so if you have any burning questions or insights, I'd be interested to see them.

welcome to our cove!

this is question is for you, not autechre

do you recognize any bits off Oversteps that were played out during AE's Quaristice tour live show?

early versions of IO & Chenc9 were first played in the Untilted 2005 tour, this is why i ask this :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by Awepittance