IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

i hope oversteps is a hiphop album with guest MCs

or better yet. a post-rock album

i don't think i would like to hear either of those... all autechre albums are hip-hop albums, lol

People always seem to throw around the guest-mc idea, which sounds great in principle, but has it ever been properly executed? I look at an album like dabrye's 2/3 and think ugh, what a mess. shit, even hiphop producer albums built around guest mcs suck 9 times out of 10.

That said, a whole album in the style of Adverse Camber would be awesome

yea, dabrye failed miserably with that as did prefuse imo. isnt flylo trying that too? sigh.

no mc's for ae please. just some beats, some ambience and some robot farts. thanks

An album with guest MC's is like a compilation album. No flow or cohesion. Wouldn't really work with AE I don't think. A single guest MC maybe.

People always seem to throw around the guest-mc idea, which sounds great in principle, but has it ever been properly executed? I look at an album like dabrye's 2/3 and think ugh, what a mess. shit, even hiphop producer albums built around guest mcs suck 9 times out of 10.

That said, a whole album in the style of Adverse Camber would be awesome

yea, dabrye failed miserably with that as did prefuse imo. isnt flylo trying that too? sigh.

no mc's for ae please. just some beats, some ambience and some robot farts. thanks

An album with guest MC's is like a compilation album. No flow or cohesion. Wouldn't really work with AE I don't think. A single guest MC maybe.

Yeah, I agree. I would not like to hear a multi-guest MC album from Autechre. Even a single MC...might sound good in theory but listen to Shadow Huntaz, they're pretty meh. Maybe it just takes the right combination. But it could easily become a failed experiment. I might prefer to not even go there. Vocals tend to ruin most electronic music.

I agree that Dabrye's was a mess, Prefuse's was a little bit less of a mess but not great, and Flylo is supposedly keeping the vocals pretty limited...would be a shame otherwise if he didn't learn from history.

Was just about to post lack of Autechre in the playlist...

Oh well, at least I heard that new Underworld track... pretty different to their old output, not really my kinda thing either :(

that wasn't an underworld track, it was by aybee... that playlist suffers from fail in the form of erroneous "song title - artist" nomenclature

Edited by IRARI

Re: autechre + overt hiphop. Isn't this what Dual Purpose and/or Gescom is for?

Let me check my Autechre reference guide...

no

i have not heard a single electronic artist do a 'guest mc' album that is anything but derivative scenster shit

mochipet, amon tobin, machinedrum, etc they've all made one of these horrible black marks in their discography

Edited by Awepittance

Was just about to post lack of Autechre in the playlist...

Oh well, at least I heard that new Underworld track... pretty different to their old output, not really my kinda thing either :(

that wasn't an underworld track, it was by aybee... that playlist suffers from fail in the form of erroneous "song title - artist" nomenclature

Ah that's good then.

Total speculation, but the London date is going to be announced on Feb 1st. Perhaps something in the way of samples or maybe even the digital download will be released then?

Guest Glass Plate

i have not heard a single electronic artist do a 'guest mc' album that is anything but derivative scenster shit

mochipet, amon tobin, machinedrum, etc they've all made one of these horrible black marks in their discography

Daedelus's Exquisite Corpse (though not his best album) does some what pull it off. Though half of the featured artists aren't MC's, but probably half of all the tracks ft. another artist. Though yeah not his best album so not a very strong argument.

so true. best is just chopped vocals, which has been done a million times, but amon tobin's verbal is just the shit.

Total speculation, but the London date is going to be announced on Feb 1st. Perhaps something in the way of samples or maybe even the digital download will be released then?

I doubt it. The Quaristice tour had Londons date unannounced until later, but that was because they got permission to hire out a car park for the night. Also it was an amazing gig around the corner from where I work!

Apparently they liked the venue, so I'm going to hazard a guess that they'll be playing there again.

Hearn St.

I just don't get why warp does no give away the digital files right now... The are obviously there as there are promos... Maybe they want as much radio plays as possible before everybody gets it

I just don't get why warp does no give away the digital files right now... The are obviously there as there are promos... Maybe they want as much radio plays as possible before everybody gets it

my guess is it has little to do with Warp and more to do with Ae's personal wishes. Warp has never to my knowledge held back samples this long before a highly anticipated release.

Hudson Mohawke 'Butter' had an album sampler long before it leaked, Totem's Flare did as well. Squarepusher put a full track from JAS on his myspace a half of a year before JAS came out.

re: albums with guest Mcs, i think overall it cheapens what an artist is doing. If you want to do an album with a vocalist, go release it under a different name. because honestly i listen to electronic music for the most part because i don't like vocals in very much of my music. I

Edited by Awepittance

this is still 2 months from release. in reality, it does seem relatively early to release a sampler, even if people like us are chomping at the bit. plus those samplers tell basically nothing anyway. i remember being really disappointed by the totems flare samplers and blown away by the album. march will be here before you know it.