IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest nene multiple assgasms

yeah they have enough fanboys to ensure millions in presales.

millions? :rolleyes:

dial the journal? like call the newspaper headquarters?

that last one was supposed to be a separate post.

^very cool to see someone else mention this. Long before I got into Autechre, that was one of my favorite electronic albums. Especially the last two parts as well. I love parallel suns, and oddly enough despite all the headphone listens I gave this album it wasn't until I picked up the LP that I heard all the subtleties in the background.

Nice Translator renders the same text as "Journal panel will add a bonus track in Japan" which, since all the track names are in Roman script, and the last note about the bonus track is in Japanese text, means that it's probably a descriptive sentence about the label adding a track, rather than a track name.

Other translators say "The board in Japan is bonus truck additional collecting", "Dial Japan Journal added bonus track", "As for the Japanese domestic board bonus track/truck additional recording".

My guess is that the "journal panel" or "board" is equivalent to English "tracklist" - so the sentence means that there will be an additional track added to the tracklist for Japan.

Man, I think it would be quicker to learn Japanese at this rate.

There was once a time where I would be excited about a new Squarepusher album, but I really don't find his new direction (and the overall 'sound') of any of his stuff since Ultravisitor particularly arresting. It's been pretty much a clear downward spiral with him, imho.

i'll look past the first two paragraphs and hope you're a girl: marry me!

very cool! you know i feel kind of regretful because i kind of wrote off Vangelis' post 1980 output, i own everything he's done on vinyl before this including his first 2 psychedelic rock lps. thanks for telling me about this khov! i had no idea he was doing stuff that wasn't generic new agey in the mid 80s

And I wanna restate that I fucking hate the Jonas brothers and in my opinion its a load of shit.

"you're just not listening the right way, or you haven't tried hard enough to figure it out."

that one little retort there just made my life :)

if you can find out please let me know which Vangelis song specifically, i am a big fan of his music and own most of it on vinyl. my wife's favorite Quaristice track is parallel suns because it reminds her of Amber (her fave ae album)

Invisible connections, Atom Blaster & Thermo vision (the same track, cut in 2 parts).

one of my favorite Vangelis : got it on cd & lp... thinks blade runner but way more minimal & abstract.

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Connections-Vangelis/dp/B00000E30I

sorry about not noticing you already said track 2 & 3 in your original post, i've been taking ambien to go to sleep recently :facepalm:

Amber, paralel suns Vangelis, Xenakis. Great stuff.

Now, if only I could get my Fiancée to dig tunes like paralel suns.. well, Ae in general. not likely to happen ..

very cool! you know i feel kind of regretful because i kind of wrote off Vangelis' post 1980 output, i own everything he's done on vinyl before this including his first 2 psychedelic rock lps. thanks for telling me about this khov! i had no idea he was doing stuff that wasn't generic new agey in the mid 80s

i didnt know you were into vangelis ! well, i was kinda obsessed with Invisible connections because it was Vangelis recording for DG and was really never repressed. i even wanted to get that japanese edition with the michael kenna photograph.

icjapcd.jpg

Very strong album, my favorite along Blade Runner & Beaubourg. but Vangelis is truly hit & miss. probably the most versatile musician in electronic music. Soil Festivities is good also even if really new age but if you like Tron or Digital Moonscape..

Edited by k h o v

Nice Translator renders the same text as "Journal panel will add a bonus track in Japan" which, since all the track names are in Roman script, and the last note about the bonus track is in Japanese text, means that it's probably a descriptive sentence about the label adding a track, rather than a track name.

Other translators say "The board in Japan is bonus truck additional collecting", "Dial Japan Journal added bonus track", "As for the Japanese domestic board bonus track/truck additional recording".

My guess is that the "journal panel" or "board" is equivalent to English "tracklist" - so the sentence means that there will be an additional track added to the tracklist for Japan.

Man, I think it would be quicker to learn Japanese at this rate.

Ok that makes a bit more sense, thanks for gettin down and dirty with the translator engines, bro! :emotawesomepm9:

pre-ordered CD + 16bit ...But the 24bit version, do you reckon that has been slapped out there to encourage remixing or just for high-quality listening wet-dream headphone pleasure??? OR BOTH?

pre-ordered CD + 16bit ...But the 24bit version, do you reckon that has been slapped out there to encourage remixing or just for high-quality listening wet-dream headphone pleasure??? OR BOTH?

I wonder. Being the audiophile I am I opted for the 24-bit version. I'm hoping it takes advantage of the dynamic range of 24-bit (eg uses less compression/has more depth or something). Quaristice would probably have benefited from that as well, it has a lot of super quiet and subtle things in the mixes.

Alright this might be a stupid question but my Mom always tells me that I should ask questions in class even if they are stupid questions and everyone points and me and calls me stupid and starts laughing at how stupid I am for having to ask such a stupid, stupid question and I can't stop thinking about how stupid I am for having to ask the question and I am so focused on how stupid everybody knows I am that I don't pay attention to the teacher's answer so I think about how stupid I am for not listening to her answer and then I have to ask another stupid question later in class and get laughed at again and all I can think about is how stupid I am for making the same mistake twice in a row, and I just sit thinking about how stupid I am and not listening to the teacher.

Anyways is the 24 bit wav going to be better sound quality than the actual CD? I don't really get the bit thing, as it appears as though it's separate from kbps quality.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

Dear Jesus,

I know we don't talk much anymore, and I know I've said some bad things about you - but just this once if you could do me this small favor and inspire some divine spirit to allow this album to leak like - now, preferably, then I will break up with my dark lord and master kramdar.

calibos2-1.jpg

thanks again, good looking dog.

Alright this might be a stupid question but my Mom always tells me that I should ask questions in class even if they are stupid questions and everyone points and me and calls me stupid and starts laughing at how stupid I am for having to ask such a stupid, stupid question and I can't stop thinking about how stupid I am for having to ask the question and I am so focused on how stupid everybody knows I am that I don't pay attention to the teacher's answer so I think about how stupid I am for not listening to her answer and then I have to ask another stupid question later in class and get laughed at again and all I can think about is how stupid I am for making the same mistake twice in a row, and I just sit thinking about how stupid I am and not listening to the teacher.

Anyways is the 24 bit wav going to be better sound quality than the actual CD? I don't really get the bit thing, as it appears as though it's separate from kbps quality.

yes it has more dynamic

CD Quality: The format is a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel.

they attached this link at bleep: http://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm

Edited by o00o

yeah i was wondering the same. honestly i dont know. also, what is the best : listening to a CD via audiophile set up (like there are cd players sold at the price of an aircraft carrier) or via 24bit wav on computer ? i guess it must depends on the computer soundcard.

Use 24 bit for every recording if you have this feature. I was a believer for the past decade that 16 bit was the way to go and I have absolutely changed my mind. No matter of what you are recording this is true. If you have a nice mic, a very good preamp and a clean audio system and are recording highly dynamic instruments such as acoustic guitars, classical orchestras, acapella vocals, the difference will be there. But! Its not that 24 bits of data makes the sound better. It actually does not. What is does is give your audio more room to breathe in the numeric realm of digital audio. Remember, we are talking about numbers, calculations, not analog waveforms. With 24 bits of data demarcing your recording medium, its is possible to record extremely dynamic music, with very quiet soft passages and extraordinary loud passages. Quiet passages will be less likely struggling to stay above the noise floor on your system. One can record with no compression. You can record at lower levels, with more headroom. This ensures that the occasional peak is not truncated at the top and it will give converters some room the breathe. Because you are not pushing the limits of your bandwidth, your instruments will sound clearer, and the vocals may sound "cleaner", the song will mix better and there will be less noise. So its not that 24 bit recordings sound better. In fact they may sound just as bad or worse than 16 bit. But 24 bits gives the recordist a noise floor and headroom to create an excellent recording. Its a tool, and in the right hand, it can blow you away, audio wise.

Short answer: Yes. 24 bit > 16 bit.

Long answer:

In digital audio storage, you have two key "parameters" - the sampling rate and the quantization depth. The sampling rate defines how often a new level/"voltage"/wave displacement is output and is measured in Hertz, while the quantization depth defines by how much levels are rounded. This is because if you have a binary string of so many bits (i.e. 8bits = 1 byte), that string can only store so many different numbers or in this case levels. Therefore, the more bits you have, the longer the string, the more numbers it can store, so the less something has to be rounded - the levels are more precise.

Hopefully that makes sense. It isn't a great explanation but it should get you there.

its more about altering the sound in a recording environment not about the perception

think of a very hires image

even you can not see certain details while watching it on your screen you can do much more with it when you zoom in or edit it in a different way later

yes it has more dynamic

CD Quality: The format is a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel.

they attached this link at bleep: http://www.tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm

Nice, thanks for the link! Very informative :cisfor: