IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I can see the audio sounding much better when we get the wavs, tis one of the reason I am a little hesitant to call this the real thing, cause the production didn't sound up to nuff at first, but I think glotch is right and its just recorded poorly. Would explain why it randomly has a song play twice, someone doing a quick job on this and rushed it out

Guest blakeboogie

I haven't listened yet. On first listening, would you guys say it's better than Quaristice?

I would, only started to appreciate Quaristice recently and that was only a few tracks. For me this is their best work since Draft.

I haven't listened yet. On first listening, would you guys say it's better than Quaristice?

A LOT better, IMHO... It's tracks again, not just sketchy no-goers... (altough I finally got something listenable from all the quadrange & versions-material) Can't wait for my LP & 24bit wavs to arrive...

it's just entirely a different thing… Quaristice is great imo - simply the album which resembles a music as architecture metaphor most closely… each track being a different part of a structure you are visiting… hard to grasp the whole thing from the outside etc…

Oversteps is more like very lush weirdness. (although that's just an initial impression… when Quaristice first came out it was weird too)

Edited by Guest

the true test for this fucker is gonna be tonight when I get to drive around my old hometown (which is a ghosttown at night) smoking spliffs and listening to this with nice headphones. I can see this album being great for the car

Guest blakeboogie

can you give an example of where it clips? to me all the distortion sounds deliberate...

likewise, i don't hear much clipping at all. the file sounds pretty decent. why so concerned with repping (incessantly) for the quality of the album while disclaiming the file format? seems like a waste of energy

Clipping is most evident in the last two tracks.

i don't know really… if you listen to Subrange 6-36, there is this repeating noisy sound which almost sounds like clipping distortion, when it is really just a sound. similar clicky broad frequency noisy stuff is present in Oversteps too throughout the album.

in krYlon it's just part of the synth's attack imo.

Having listened again I think you might be right, but since we're listening to a compressed recording I know we're in for a treat when the vinyl ships.

the true test for this fucker is gonna be tonight when I get to drive around my old hometown (which is a ghosttown at night) smoking spliffs and listening to this with nice headphones. I can see this album being great for the car

What could possibly go wrong?

Also: please post updates on location so that I can make sure the people I don't hate are off the roads in that area.

lol, it sounds irresponsible, and for most probably is, but I wouldn't do it if I thought it was at all dangerous. I drive great while stoned. its not at all the same as driving drunk or even driving when sleepy. just relax

..listening to ep7 and reminded of how brilliant it is!

'Pir' , 'Dropp', 'Rpeg' and the hynortic breakdown of Zeiss Contarex. the whole album... wow, it's just shockingly good. how come i don't hear more excitement about this album from folks around here?

ep7 is in a list of the top five ae albums for me. i think it is a perfect mix of all the elements of Autechre, ambient melody, beats, abstraction etc etc.

this is the autechre i know and love

Edited by troon

OK enough of the GIBBER JABBER!

someone send me a nice pm to say hello and such like. I'm all alone and feel I need some love.

pm me plse thnx bubyie xx

..listening to ep7 and reminded of how brilliant it is!

'Pir' , 'Dropp', 'Rpeg' and the hynortic breakdown of Zeiss Contarex. the whole album... wow, it's just shockingly good. how come i don't hear more excitement about this album from folks around here?

ep7 is in a list of the top five ae albums for me. i think it is a perfect mix of all the elements of Autechre, ambient melody, beats, abstraction etc etc.

this is the autechre i know and love

ep7 used generative stuff as well right? i was thinking of it while listening to oversteps as well (though i am loving both lol)

ffs none of the tracks play twice. ilanders is the one that I've seen singled out as a repeating track but it's certainly not. Listen to the beginning and then the part where you think it loops over, it's clearly just a fake-out ending and not the track looped over. Get your ears checked!

Guest Greg Reason

At this stage I'd say Quaristice is far better, although this is good.

this: http://www.myspace.com/rougishscald

also goes by other names like dalglish and rook valla®de. was featured on ATP3 comp.

awepittance should be able to tell you more... ;)

sold. this will be a very special night.

whoawhoa now. Listening to the album Waetka, this goes incredibly well with recent Ae output, without copying anything at all. Great choice for that gig.

it's Berlin.

everyone loves Berlin.

and Hobbs probably is busy masturbating to dubstep.

that is all.

speaking of which, apparently O.S.T. will join in for the berlin date... excellent bonus!

ok ima noob… who's O.S.T.?

also thanks panz0r for finding out about the radio!

O.S.T is a very underrated really abstract electronic producer. His recent stuff reminds me of a really dark fucked up foreboding Confield. It has similarities to AE but it's a lot more rooted in noise and experimental music.

i put out a record of his under an alias called Dalglish on my label 2 years ago

I would say apples and oranges.

Every time Autechre zags, with few exceptions, I'm daunted at the prospect of acclimating to the new flavor. Because of the implication that this is what they're going to sound like from here on out / for a while.

In this case, it doesn't sound much like anything else in their catalog. So in that sense it's kind of nice to now have some Autechre that's really colorful and painterly.

Though after a day and a half of sucking on this leak, I'm gravitating towards the greyer releases - Chiastic, Envane, Draft, Quaristice.

Beware of some serious earworms. see on see is firmly lodged.

Still blows me away that people can dislike Quaristice..... I could understand people not gettin into this one but but Quaristice?!? Bloody incredible album!

Quaristice is derivative and piecemeal.

derivative of what... exactly?

still reeling in utter disbelief so many people are giving OVersteps such a pass but bashing what i consider to an excellent album Quaristice.

to my ears Oversteps is one of their least unique albums, and seems in a lot of ways derivative of people who copy AE which is a weird thing to say like Arovane and Plaid

Edited by Awepittance