IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

and yeah, you can hear more in the .wavs, but it's not some wholly new experience... say the .m4a w/crossfades was a dirty, neglected automobile. in this rough analogy, the .wavs are the same car, thoroughly detailed, and tuned up. it's still the same fucking car.

so so wrong bro, you need to get yer ears checked

there's a whole other world in the 24-bit versio

yeah, i keep hearin' all about it. dunno if you're being sarcastic. honestly, i thought the .m4a was stunning in headphones. been playing the high-res waves today, the clicks in r ess have more physical presence in the room.

re: same-y ness. i falsely anticipated treale again after track 12

sidewinder; get to the end. After 7 tracks in, try to distinguish one track from the next. I'll stop now, people on the net don't take well to someone persistently hating on something they love. That and I don't care enough.

Some of it did start running together a bit, but several tracks still stood out, including the last. That's just on first listen though. Overall I don't feel it's as beatless or ambient as I was lead to believe.

Edited by sidewinder

glasgow in 256 is a different beast than its little brother. i didn't bother with the leak, but i don't understand why people enjoy low quality releases? you can't hear the song as clear and crisp as it should be. there is a time for muddy, and there is a time for shiny, with lower quality it's just muddy all the time. i enjoy ae in low quality i guess, but that's probably because i've memorized what it should sound like with 90% of their shit. it's just annoying and feels like you're squinting at a pixelated painting to see wtf it is. if you already know what it is, you can fill in the blanks but if you've never seen it before.... get my point?

glasgow in 256 is a different beast than its little brother. i didn't bother with the leak, but i don't understand why people enjoy low quality releases? you can't hear the song as clear and crisp as it should be. there is a time for muddy, and there is a time for shiny, with lower quality it's just muddy all the time. i enjoy ae in low quality i guess, but that's probably because i've memorized what it should sound like with 90% of their shit. it's just annoying and feels like you're squinting at a pixelated painting to see wtf it is. if you already know what it is, you can fill in the blanks but if you've never seen it before.... get my point?

yeah, i can appreciate crispness and detail, but a bad track is not gonna improve with clarity. i have a copy of anvil vapre @ 48 kbps. second peng is still a bangin' track/doesn't sound like a chunky .gif

lol, aaargh, found out about this 5mins before i left the house, now i'm not gonna be able to listen until tomorrow morning because i'm going to see paramore tonight :facepalm: :facepalm: lol

paramore? I'm guessing a girlfriend/female friend dragged you along to this.

i feel for you brother :cool:

nope, a friend messaged me the other day and asked if i wanted to go because he has a spare ticket. so i thought why the fuck not because tbh i quite like their latest album.

and yeah, you can hear more in the .wavs, but it's not some wholly new experience... say the .m4a w/crossfades was a dirty, neglected automobile. in this rough analogy, the .wavs are the same car, thoroughly detailed, and tuned up. it's still the same fucking car.

yeah no-one uses 8 extra bits of audio like autechre do.

why buy 16 cookies when you can have 24 cookies for the same price?

Guest extridium

d-sho qub = q-sho(w) dub = Quaristice Show Dub? There's definitely plenty of Quaristice elements in this track.

Hmm...could be. BTW, i think "redfall" means the fall of redbook, the format of Compact Disks.

yeah no-one uses 8 extra bits of audio like autechre do.

why buy 16 cookies when you can have 24 cookies for the same price?

i don't think my soundcard can actually play back in 24bit, might have to look into that. it's a yamaha audiogram 3, pretty cheap hehe.

Guest extridium

guys i think there is a hidden track in the extra 8-bits right at the end of illanders

my thoughts are the same! even more on headphones...i got the chills

fuck yall.

somehow my internet use went up 500mb today even though I used it just as much as normal (about 100mb a day from browsing). so that means some background service used up 400mb of bandwidth (which is 1/10th of my monthly allowance). this means I have never been further from downloading oversteps.

download it at work

abuse your friends Internet

go to a public library

:emotawesomepm9::shuriken:

I think a lot of people confuse "lack of beats" with ambient.

in one of my earlier posts right after i heard the early leak i remember thinking that it was mostly beatless but not in the way that i expected. When sean booth said in that early interview that he wanted to make songs with no beats for while i expected more ambient stuff like parallel suns or altibzz. but you're right that just because its a predominately melodic sans percussion hooks doen't make it ambient. I think amber is a more ambient album than oversteps even though it has more beats

It def has a soundtrack vibe. People are saying it's samey but I find it very cohesive and complimentary. A big issue with quaristice was natural flow and oversteps has it in spades

Edited by jules

So what happened to all those blokes who were saying that this was obviously fake and we'd all be feeling stupid when the real oversteps came out?

I am one. I don't care anymore. That's it really. Nothing has changed; i still think 12 of those tracks are really poor and among their worse. Autechre can do anything they want, but they were always interesting and confounding. The complete lack of variety is mystifying. They're taking it easy. I think Notwo and Outh9x and a lot of the dark ambient tracks on Quaristice Versions/Quadrange are amazing. After 20 years, how do they still do it??? They don't. Must be hard. No one is infallible it would seem. That spark and energy I want from music is not there. It sounds limp.

To be fair I had similar complaints about Quaristice at first. It grew on me like a motherfucker. That's not saying Oversteps will do the same to you. But you never know.

qplay is so special. I'd have LOVED just one more track like it on there. It's got some amazing beat editing on there.

But the album is how it is, and I guess it should be enjoyed on its own terms. That ending to qplay though...could have just gone on and on.

I found qplay to be really lame and standard IDM at first, but then I got hooked to the sad little Atari melody rolling in the background. Very nice melody that reminds me of jaga jazzist for some reason.