Guest Greg Reason

Constant shallowness...was always one of my least favourite Coil albums but been enjoying It a lot more on re-listens  since its reissue

I've also very much been enjoying the sara dales sensual massage album and generally back on a Coil binge after not listening to them as much the last few years. So much awesome to explore again

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, no part of it said:

I don't know if anyone else is snoozing on this one.  

I'd be very surprised if there were more than one interview in this book that I haven't read already.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1913689433/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

sweet thank you!

It took me sooooooo long to start to digest Coil's music and appreciate it on its own terms. I've really only begun deeply listening to their music and appreciating how mindblowingly esoteric and unsettling and indescribable it is over the last 1-2 years. Back in the mid-00s Benn Jordan gave me ripped copies of a bunch of 90s material; Love's Secret Domain, Black Light District, Moon's Milk stuff like that but it just couldn't get through to me at the time.

I had unwittingly consumed huge chunks of their aesthetics by being so obsessed with the Nine Inch Nails remix albums growing up, especially Fixed and Further Down the Spiral... hands down the best moments of those already very innovative and experimental releases were Sleazy's work. I tend to look at Trent Reznor as being the top node of my tree of musical influences; Further Down the Spiral is where I first heard Aphex Twin of course, but if I move the center point to Peter Christopherson then the root network extends upward to Peter Gabriel and many of the same prog rock places that Trent's network does because of Hipgnosis, but also directly into TG, Coil, etc... in retrospect, I recognize he is a WAY more important figure in my life musically than I ever accurately appraised.

I also super appreciate how aggressively, confrontationally gay their music is lmao... responding to it emotionally in any way was definitely an early sign that I was queer that took a very long time to recognize. Trent gave me the bondage vibe, but Coil's scatological, Crowley-descended worldview safely brought me into the world of being a weird gay, not just a Target Love is Love normie gay.

I still have so many more records to go through, but I have been loving the Dais Records Bandcamp reissues and gobbling them up. Long live Jhonn and Sleazy...

• Like 8

On 6/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, egggohan said:

It took me sooooooo long to start to digest Coil's music and appreciate it on its own terms. I've really only begun deeply listening to their music and appreciating how mindblowingly esoteric and unsettling and indescribable it is over the last 1-2 years. Back in the mid-00s Benn Jordan gave me ripped copies of a bunch of 90s material; Love's Secret Domain, Black Light District, Moon's Milk stuff like that but it just couldn't get through to me at the time.

I had unwittingly consumed huge chunks of their aesthetics by being so obsessed with the Nine Inch Nails remix albums growing up, especially Fixed and Further Down the Spiral... hands down the best moments of those already very innovative and experimental releases were Sleazy's work. I tend to look at Trent Reznor as being the top node of my tree of musical influences; Further Down the Spiral is where I first heard Aphex Twin of course, but if I move the center point to Peter Christopherson then the root network extends upward to Peter Gabriel and many of the same prog rock places that Trent's network does because of Hipgnosis, but also directly into TG, Coil, etc... in retrospect, I recognize he is a WAY more important figure in my life musically than I ever accurately appraised.

I also super appreciate how aggressively, confrontationally gay their music is lmao... responding to it emotionally in any way was definitely an early sign that I was queer that took a very long time to recognize. Trent gave me the bondage vibe, but Coil's scatological, Crowley-descended worldview safely brought me into the world of being a weird gay, not just a Target Love is Love normie gay.

I still have so many more records to go through, but I have been loving the Dais Records Bandcamp reissues and gobbling them up. Long live Jhonn and Sleazy...

Yep, I was 19 and mainly into punk at the time, a friend played Scatalogy for me, and once Ubu Noir hit, I was converted, changed the whole course of my tastes...  and then Foetus followed...  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:15 AM, Rubin Farr said:

this book is unbelievably good. feel like the band is leaping from the page into real life. powerful documents of a band that really was like nothing else.

• Like 2

I saw them play live in Dublin with Decal supporting, absolutely amazing, turned out to be their last ever gig, JB fell down the stairs and broke his neck shortly afterwards

• Sad 2

Article on the Guardian about the forthcoming Hipgnosis film: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/03/anton-corbijn-hipgnosis-film-pink-floyd-led-zeppelin

The piece leads with a picture with Sleazy in it, though there's no mention of him in the article.

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 2