IGNORED

Mobile food trucks

Vergas buey

Do you live in an area that has upscale food trucks? Like the kind that serve shit like grass fed beef sliders with gorgonzola, garlic fennel aioli, and butter leaf lettuce served on an organic gluten free brioche? What do you think about this trend? Would you pay 10 dollars for something like this out of a truck?

If you ran a truck like this, how would you set yourself apart from other upscale "gastrotrucks"? Would you put big megaphones on the outside and blare idm as youre serving it up? I would definitely play aphex twin. So what yall think?

just saw one in denver pull up to my farmer's market last weekend. they're spreading eastward. havent eaten from one but i'm not at all opposed to the idea. i was in austin, tx earlier this year and my friend pointed out a whole bunch of trailers that served food, but i think it might be something different, cheaper mexican food.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

just saw one in denver pull up to my farmer's market last weekend. they're spreading eastward. havent eaten from one but i'm not at all opposed to the idea. i was in austin, tx earlier this year and my friend pointed out a whole bunch of trailers that served food, but i think it might be something different, cheaper mexican food.

OT: dude, you need to go eat at rioja. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

rick bayless pulls out an upscale taco/empanada/etc truck every once in a great while. technically speaking, in chicago they are illegal thanks i'm sure in heavy part due to lobbying on the part of traditional restaurant establishments and ridiculous zoning requirements. street food period is illegal here, though there are lots of small mexican, cuban, and puertorriqueno trucks and stands that float around the surrounding neighborhoods.

good call. i actually drove by there wanting to do lunch yesterday but they were closed. def one of my favorite restaurants here. what'd you eat? did you have their pork belly dish? so good. lamb is really good there too. and beignets for dessert. oh and whatever their signature pasta is, i think it's something or other with an artichoke broth.

this is the ULTIMATE food truck

i give you...

THE POUTINE TRUCK

E24Qv.jpg

by smoke's poutinerie

you haven't lived until you've had a triple pork poutine from there

(bacon, pulled pork, and sausage, on top of fries, cheese curds from quebec, and chicken gravy)

100% instant heart attack

rick bayless pulls out an upscale taco/empanada/etc truck every once in a great while. technically speaking, in chicago they are illegal thanks i'm sure in heavy part due to lobbying on the part of traditional restaurant establishments and ridiculous zoning requirements. street food period is illegal here, though there are lots of small mexican, cuban, and puertorriqueno trucks and stands that float around the surrounding neighborhoods.

I like Rick Bayless - his cooking show is awesome..

If I see any hipsters around my favourite roach coaches, I'm gonna tell the Mexicans in Spanish that they are La Migre and watch the fun as I munch down on some carne asada tacos...

That's La Migra homie.

Calvin_LaMigra.gif

Desculpe!

Food Network has a new series about these high-end food trucks, called The Great Food Truck Race...

Guest Deep Fried Everything

what'd you eat? did you have their pork belly dish? so good. lamb is really good there too. and beignets for dessert. oh and whatever their signature pasta is, i think it's something or other with an artichoke broth.

all of those things (literally!) and a few more. it was devastatingly delicious.

Guest Ominous

They kind of were all the rage here in LA until recently; I think now the hipsters are moving on to pop-up restaurants and hush hush BYO affairs and other stupid things. I've eaten at a few; but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at one.

Faint diesel fumes = Not nom nom.

i'm on the fence regarding this being a hipster trend—it seems like more of a yuppie thing.

that being said, i still haven't tried one yet. call me old fashioned, but

2842665726_51af441d95.jpg

But Chicago restaurateurs have been pushing hard to change the zoning and sanitation requirements so they can actually cook the food on the truck. As it is now, there are a few new trucks that roam around selling pre-cooked food: Gaztro-Wagon, which sells 'naanwiches' (haven't tried one yet but saw it across the street from my apt. the other day! -- they tweet their current location), and two cupcake trucks, Flirty Cupcakes (... yeah ...) and one by a cupcake place here called 'More.'

There's both a blog and a website dedicated to this issue, which is bringing lots of hungry people together in a cool way.

But for now, the fuckin city officials are all :rtfm: :(

The food cart scene in portland has gone nuts. Seems like every empty lot is being bought up and filled with foodcarts. Many of these lots are late night hipster havens, but im not a hater so i could give a fuck. The food is always really quality and fresh, and you can get pretty much any kind of food you could ever want anywhere, bbq, wood fired pizza, vietnamese sammies, indian curries, fancy pitas, huge burgers, pastas, tacos etc. prices are also very reasonable (3-10 bucks for an entree/sides)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAElvAElN4

My number 1 complaint is 98% of these places are cash only, a real pain if you dont carry around much paper money these days.

Archived