IGNORED

Autechre albums that hit you at important times in your life

splesh

In early-mid 2005, at age 14, I was still fairly new to listening to "experimental" and "unconventional" music and had recently been turned onto both Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada by David Firth via his website fat-pie. Upon looking up these artists online, I found that both were labelled by some as "intelligent dance music". I then looked them up and found that another musical entity I would enjoy would be Autechre. As it turned out, Autechre were coming out with an album that year. So I dilligently listened to Untilted (which I knew from the start was UNTILTED and not UNTITLED, thank you very much) and listened to it and had my mind thoroughly blown. Pro Radii remains to this day one of my all-time favourite Autechre songs.

In February of 2009, recovering from a first episode of psychosis which had occured some 2 years earlier, I remembered that Autechre used to be one of my favourite acts before I was mentally ill, found out about Quaristice's existence about a year after it came out, listened to it on headphones and once again had my mind thoroughly blown. This album will always have, in part, a special association for me as being the first new Autechre release I heard since I went into remission.

Songs by Aphex Twin, BOC, Arovane, Burial and Venetian Snares (I might be forgetting someone) have all had an impact in my life by helping me get through something or helping me just stay alive, because without these people I don't think I would want to still be living.

I had a pretty shit job circa 2004 and lived in a rented flat for 9 months on my own, about 60 miles away from my nearest family / friends. No internetz as I couldnt afford it.

Picked up Draft 7.30 randomly - I had heard of autechre but never really knew what they were about. It completely destroyed everything else I was listening to at the time - (progressive house / john digweedy stuff) - at first I couldnt quite understand what they were doing. Yes, it was noisy and chaotic but it took me a while to understand the track structures compared to all the standard 4/4 club stuff I was used to.

The album was a complete breath of fresh air to me while I lived there, and listening to draft now always brings back memories of that little flat and feeling sorry for myself.

It really opened the door for me to IDM in general and the 'chre - in 2009 I bought up the entire back catalogue now ive got a better job and can afford such luxuries!

I was listening to Tri Repetae on the john the other day....

That was a pretty profound moment in my life.

yeah i need to install speakers in my bathroom

Autechre is always the biggest help in large bouts of depression

hmm, i was listening to oversteps live show today and i got a bit down. i think it was the thump thump thump and really high note arp's going on. i mean i'm sure they are fun live but a shitty mp3 doesn't prove anything.

oversteps though, that was a good listen, and shamefully one of the few times i actually listened to it all the way through. for some reason i've been listening to ae lately and really getting it all. maybe it's the cold weather not having much to do hiding out in my room. i want to tackle untilted soon.

hmm, i was listening to oversteps live show today and i got a bit down.

Is this a bootleg or something? I'm interested, but there's no post-2008 dates in the pinned live thread. I'd be grateful if you could point me in the direction of this.

Is this a bootleg or something? I'm interested, but there's no post-2008 dates in the pinned live thread. I'd be grateful if you could point me in the direction of this.

it's titled: Autechre_Oversteps_Master__Tour_1203.mp3. that's all i got for help. just look around.

it's titled: Autechre_Oversteps_Master__Tour_1203.mp3. that's all i got for help. just look around.

Cheers. Google yields no hits sadly, but thanks anyway. I'll keep that in mind in case I come across it some day.

Archived