Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

now cloverfield i loved but i'm sure an angry forum mob could rip it to pieces.

source code they already destroyed it

that list is pretty shitty

Just seen it and thought it was quite enjoyable. Perhaps it's not as classic as the first Alien is, but if the story in the next part(s) is going to pick up, it might be. The story certainly feels unfinished. But if a next part doesn't deliver, the disappointment will be big. To me anyways, because it is suggested David knows almost everything one is supposed to know about the Engineer backstory at the end of the movie. It'd be hard not to give any answers in a second installment.

Edited by goDel

Set of Sci-Fi films I found better than this and made since Blade Runner

{ "Predator", "The Terminator", "Terminator 2", "children of men", "Aliens", "Alien 3", "Akira", "ET", "Cloverfield", "Ghost in the Shell", "The Thing", "Videodrome", "the empire strikes back", ""district 9" , "primer", "pi", "Serenity", "Brazil", "Robocop", "fifth element", "hardware", "dark city" }

...I was tempted to add "The Matrix" with Keanu Reeves in there. I definitely enjoyed that more... period.

FuncRand(m)

^this

Edited by Gocab

I can't really objectively rank sci-fi movies in one list. Like, The Matrix/The Thing/District 9 are really clever concepts & fun to watch, Ghost in the Shell/Akira are weird beasts full of amazing visuals & music, & Pi is basically as close to IDM The Movie as we'll get until they make a movie about Aphex Twin teaming up with Ulillillia to create a generative music algorithm that creates basslines dirty enough to overthrow the skrillexian empire

And I dug Prometheus/had a few problems with it for reasons people have established many times in this thread. I can't say which sci-fi movie I like best because there's a bunch I like for different reasons

Indeed....

But why was there mass infertility???

Why was America a cesspool of shit???

Why was the film called Children of Men???

How the fuck did Michael Caine know Clive Owen's character?

Why did everyone stop shooting during the amazing last scene, because of a baby??? How dumb?

I just listened the latest Media Roots podcast hate on Prometheus.

We can talk shit about anything.

This film wasn't dumbed down.

It had subtle symbolism throughout the entire film.

O p i n i o n s.

If you wanna talk about dumbed down, let's talk about most Adam Sandler films.

or Taken.

or World Trade Center.

or Glen and Randa, hehe.

I feel better now that people I respect think I am dumb for enjoying Prometheus and Lost.

just kidding Robbie. I respect the fact that we have different thoughts on film.

I am not sure about that. I haven't watched Children of Men in a while and I do enjoy the writing. The film making was more effective, for myself, than the story. The over arcing idea is what I dug about CoM, just like in Prometheus. I guess it easier for me to enjoy film for its themes and not the details.

Aesthetically, Prometheus was superior.

The script for Children of Men was more reality based and impacting in that way.

I love the themes in both films so they stand equal for myself.

Children of men is a boring film. Nevertheless, Cuaron is some sort of visual wizard savant genius dude. And not in the turgid, dull Fincher way, but a bona-fide one-of-a-kind. A close but weird comparison might be with Michael Mann, the way he can get an action sequence "just so." Cuaron knows how to impeccably choreograph things without it feeling overworked. Visually, I think he's one of the best around, probably the best of the current generation.

Nonetheless, a whole lot of nothing happens in the film, and even Michael Caine can't save that. The film can basically be boiled down to four memorable sequences, in my mind: 1) the Brazil-esque rich-dude-with-autistic-freak-son meeting (with Pink Floyd album cover in background); 2) the attack on the car; 3) the escape with the car; 4) the city tank attack sequence. Rest was, more or less, filler. The world is so rich you don't really feel that the first time around, but I don't think it has a lot of replay value. Except to watch and re-watch those scenes, in the same way you might dissect one of the chase scenes in the Road Warrior. Just imo. Still one of the best modern sci-fi flicks, for atmosphere alone.

I don't know about that. I think Children of Men is a very moving movie. And as for those four memorable scenes... That's more memorable scenes than most movies have. Drive, which was one of my favorite movies from last year, had like 3-4 really memorable scenes that my friends and I were talking about in details afterwards.

Gravity (II) (2013)

Sci-Fi | Thriller - 2013 (USA)

Not yet released

(voting begins after release)

Astronauts attempt to return to earth after debris crashes into their space shuttle, leaving them drifting alone in space.

Director:Alfonso Cuarón

Sweet!

yeah, my opinions are based on trying to rewatch it a couple of times and being bored out of my skull. I don't care about Julianne Moore and her silly revolution, or the bums at the end, or any of that stuff. Clive Owen did manage to be soulful, and I did care about the baby, but otherwise...

Actually someone mentioned War of the Worlds and I think it's a lot like that. Several really strong scenes but the connective tissue is hit-and-miss. Although I spent much of War of the Worlds wanting to drown Dakota Fanning, and I don't think any character in CoM evoked such a visceral reaction :-)

Guest Mirezzi

yeah, my opinions are based on trying to rewatch it a couple of times and being bored out of my skull. I don't care about Julianne Moore and her silly revolution, or the bums at the end, or any of that stuff. Clive Owen did manage to be soulful, and I did care about the baby, but otherwise...

Actually someone mentioned War of the Worlds and I think it's a lot like that. Several really strong scenes but the connective tissue is hit-and-miss. Although I spent much of War of the Worlds wanting to drown Dakota Fanning, and I don't think any character in CoM evoked such a visceral reaction :-)

Well done, Lumpy. Your descriptions of CoM are just about airtight and your overall sentiments echo my own. I actually maintain a soft spot in retrospect for what was such a brilliant failure. If only there had been a meaningful narrative, it would have been a brilliant masterpiece.

CoM is a lot like Inception in the final analysis. I own both on Blu-ray so I can skip to the cool visuals, but both are really 1/2 cinema tech demo and 1/2 video game inspired pastiche.

children of men is obviously on a different level, and not because it's great (which it is) but because Prometheus is pretty much a B-movie with good photography.

Guest Mirezzi

Doesn't that more or less describe Lost, too? It was as fucking stupid as the 1968 Planet of the Apes...it just had better photography.

Doesn't that more or less describe Lost, too? It was as fucking stupid as the 1968 Planet of the Apes...it just had better photography.

lost for me was mostly about the WTF moments. And I also liked it because I actually believed that the thing was going somewhere, so naive of me. It's also more creative and original than prometheus, lol.