IGNORED

Unreleased AFX flacs

Guest MortstoX

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so basically this is what happens when collector types hoard rare music and don't share it with the world when they should have...

we are left with sub par quality tape hiss distorted copies of music that existed at one time in decent quality.

so basically my advice is don't sit on something to feel 'elite' or like you're the only one who has it out of a select group of music geeks, give it to someone who has knowledge of audio recording processes to share it with the world. its the unselfish and non irritating thing to do.

whatever happened to CATS? I haven't seen that name around here in a long time, wasn't he the guy who handled the downloads section organization couple years back.

he's back under the board stealth style under a new name, KarakasaMusic music , here is his profile http://forum.watmm.com/user/800-karakasamusic/

this clearly isn't Melodies from Mars that's for sure (which was unreleased too).

Of everything her has done that is available online and otherwise, MFM was my least favorite until these.

With some artists, demos are a great find. For me, AFX demos just don't cut it.

I guess I find all of his proper releases to be so perfect that hearing something that isn't perfect depresses me. I know. I'm a bitch.

Now, Ceephax's website tracks, those are something special.

Yeah completely agree there, I liked MFM thought but that was in 2000 when I last heard it. I think most people would be disappointed in hearing AFX unreleased works on the whole, I have no doubt that he does release the very best and most polished tracks as opposed to what he says on interviews.

I have a slightly different take, i think this period of Aphex composition was probably his most abrasive/experimental period of his where he's still utilizing very straight forward rythms. If you aren't a fan fo the Ventolin EP i could see not liking this. To me it sounds far less like Melodies from Mars and more in the Ventolin direction.

I like it for what it is, and i would gladly buy something like this if it was mastered in good quality without loads of tape hiss. It sounds like it would be a good album to put on vinyl.

So in the end it makes little sense to me why he would commercially release something like AB4 or HAB2 which to me sound far less 'polished' and much more amateur than MFM or this unreleased EP/LP. It's possible he just wasn't happy with the results, but i don't think it sounds like a rough sketch in comparison to a good number of his physical releases

1 & 6 did not decode in XLD for me, but they worked okay in Max. not Max/MSP, Max the CD ripping software for OS X.

i had the same problem. had to use audacity to export them to wav. i believe it's a problem with the metadata.

why he would commercially release something like AB4 or HAB2

:wtf:

do you mean the second record perhaps?

yeah, i think the first EP is very strong but the 2nd one i think i only listened to maybe twice all the way through.

why he would commercially release something like AB4 or HAB2

:wtf:

do you mean the second record perhaps?

yeah, i think the first EP is very strong but the 2nd one i think i only listened to maybe twice all the way through.

whoa, what?

"arched maid via rdj" is my favorite aphex track ever. "every day" is also way up there. you seriously don't like these?

the expressiveness on the lead synth in arched maid is incredible, i always wanted to be able to replicate that feeling in my own tracks, it sounds so alive..

i like that track so much, i once played it over my high school's entire hallway PA system at full volume. :D

Yeah, honestly, I can't imagine not loving Arched Maid, but expressive distorted synths are kind of one of my favorite things in electronic music in general. (IE why Vatican Nitez is the only Global Goon album I really enjoy)

Also, MFM is one of my favorite albums of all time.

this thread is totally getting derailed.

If I might, could I request a message that maintains a private level of sorts?

Also, if anyone could shoot me BoC live at ATP for the love of god I would send you like 9 thank yous.

this clearly isn't Melodies from Mars that's for sure (which was unreleased too).

Of everything her has done that is available online and otherwise, MFM was my least favorite until these.

With some artists, demos are a great find. For me, AFX demos just don't cut it.

I guess I find all of his proper releases to be so perfect that hearing something that isn't perfect depresses me. I know. I'm a bitch.

Now, Ceephax's website tracks, those are something special.

Yeah completely agree there, I liked MFM thought but that was in 2000 when I last heard it. I think most people would be disappointed in hearing AFX unreleased works on the whole, I have no doubt that he does release the very best and most polished tracks as opposed to what he says on interviews.

I have a slightly different take, i think this period of Aphex composition was probably his most abrasive/experimental period of his where he's still utilizing very straight forward rythms. If you aren't a fan fo the Ventolin EP i could see not liking this. To me it sounds far less like Melodies from Mars and more in the Ventolin direction.

I like it for what it is, and i would gladly buy something like this if it was mastered in good quality without loads of tape hiss. It sounds like it would be a good album to put on vinyl.

So in the end it makes little sense to me why he would commercially release something like AB4 or HAB2 which to me sound far less 'polished' and much more amateur than MFM or this unreleased EP/LP. It's possible he just wasn't happy with the results, but i don't think it sounds like a rough sketch in comparison to a good number of his physical releases

Ventolin is actually one of my favorite AFX releases.

A demo is a demo. A proper release is a proper release.

That's about all there is to it really.

Ventolin is actually one of my favorite AFX releases.

A demo is a demo. A proper release is a proper release.

That's about all there is to it really.

i would call that a tad of an oversimplified view. I'm not sure we know these are unfinished tracks, some of them sound pretty final to me. If an artist hasn't properly released something it doesn't automatically make it a demo. Judging by how many unreleased analords came out last year, im sure he's sitting on a lot of finished stuff and if i remember correctly only one of those songs was labeled as a demo.

I guess there won't be a box set, then?

of course there won't be a box set. they just don't want these tracks to come to surface because they're ashamed of them

and rightly so

I guess there won't be a box set, then?

of course there won't be a box set. they just don't want these tracks to come to surface because they're ashamed of them

Laconic irony failure. :whistling:

Archived