IGNORED

IDM and Family

QBLA

Was just wondering if any of you have any family members (brothers, sisters, mother, father, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.) that are into IDM at least half as much as you? Me, I have none. My dad likes some stuff I drove to with him, but I think if I showed him my whole collection he'd run away screaming. My sister may come close since her favorite group is portishead and she loves daft punk. None of my cousins heard of it. they all mostly listen to hip hop, alternative, and one cousin listens to country (?), and another listens to that mexican mariachi music(?). my gay cousin is into britney no surprise!

so... what's up?

Nah, no family into IDM. Mom's fond of most of the stuff on Ghost Box though. I gave her a few CD's last time I visited. I don't think my stepdad even listens to music, though he bought a Johnny Cash best-of album after Walk the Line came out a few years ago. Bio-dad was a great musician. He probably would have appreciated iddumz.

Guest Sprigg

My brother likes some boc, aphex, plaid a little autechre and occasional squarepusher (he plays bass guitar, so really no surprise), but overall most of it is too weird for him.

I've gotten him into bjork though, so he's one step closer.

Guest disparaissant

my brother likes windowlicker because it was in an adam sandler movie.

that is the extent of it.

Same situation as deleeter here. I'm the oldest of 4. Really only the brother I currently live with listens to it though.

My other brother is into hip hop stuff I've never heard of, and my sister likes country and pop music, although she thinks some IDM tracks are nice.

lol, girls :rolleyes:

No, not really, just my wife. Her cousins and my brother-in-law listen to good stuff but not sure about IDM...

I'm really the only one in my family, they appreciate music but mostly listen to rock/guitar bands. My brother would probably dig some (he played Scuba on my iPod randomly and enjoyed it), but he's in the USAF and has little free time at the moment for me to send himself. My mom liked "Groove is in the heart," that Basement Jaxx song "Romeo", etc. My sister has this funny obsession with 80s new wave and punk, and Kate Bush actually. My dad plays guitar and likes good "classic" bands, and my parents were young enough to listen to the gen-X alternative back in the day.

So, uh, no.

My entire family enjoys listening to electronic music of all sorts. The older generation particularly enjoys Hot Butter - Popcorn and the early Moog goodness. The younger generation is all about every sub genre you can think of. If there's a synth in it, we dig.

My bro loves the Twin and some other stuff I have played for him but no, not nearly half as much as I love the stuff...my mom digs the grooving stuff but would never seeks any of it out.

My little brother digs Squarepusher, and he knows of Aphex Twin and Amon Tobin and has had listened to some of each, but doesn't really actively listen to any

Guest hahathhat

before i moved out my dad ripped all my CDs, which i thought was pretty adventurous of him. he thought venetian snares was funny... but when it comes to actually appreciating things, he seemed to prefer blind guardian and longmont potion castle over my electronic stuff. i bought him chosen lords for christmas or something one year and that didn't garner much of a reaction.

my sister likes stuff like kula shaker and muse. good taste, but nothing electronic i've recommended has seemed to really grab her.

my mom always complains if stuff doesn't have a beat, because it would seem the only time she plays any of it is at the gym. or in the car, where she plays the oldies station. while caustic window has a beat, i doubt she'd appreciate it. tried to push it a little with "orchestra of bubbles" by eileen allen & apparat, but i never even heard back on that one. next time she bothers me about not having enough pairs of pants i am definitely bringing that up

bottom line: when it comes to electronic stuff, they can appreciate humor... but little else. "frontier psychiatrist" by the avalanches is pretty much the perfect track to play my family

While I went through highschool listening to Orbital and Autechre, my brother was listening to Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails. So occassionally we'd cross musical paths. He still will sometimes listen to a few bits of IDM here and there and he has pretty good taste in music but he's mostly into indie rock now.

My son likes some Clark, but that's about it.

I think my cousin likes DJ Tiesto.

Archived