IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

SERIOUS FWP GUYS.

before christmas i got a cold/flu/manflu whatever. luckily (OR SO I THOUGHT) it ended Xmas eve.

NOW ALL XMAS DAY, BOXING DAY I CANT SMELL ANYTHING. seeing as 80% of taste is smell it has messed up all the yummy food. i bought 4 new gins to taste and i cant taste them. I CANT TELL BETWEEN ROAST POTATOES & PARSNIPS. everything tastes so bland.

i cant only tell if something is sweet/bitter/salty/sour/savoury. i cant tell of the existence of any other flavour. FML

i got something like this this year, and now there is a smell range that has a completely different bouquet, it's fucking annoying and weird, like my sense of smell has been rooted and edited and there's nothing that i can do about it. I realise that this happens when you have the flu, like tomatoe sauce suddenly becomes weird, i guess you notice metallic highlights and what have you which overpower everything else, but in my case my sense of smell post this flu has been jacked. gleh it's bad enough having diminished hearing and sight due to aging but my sense of smell was never great due to allergies to begin with, well at least from my perspective, some of the food people were able to eat that i found repulsive due to lack of quality, treatment of ingredients, perhaps my sense of smell was better than i gave it credit for, but then again i couldn't stand perfumes, people love the fragrance but i can smell the underlying ... plus sneezing and qit

hrmm. wotevfnor

sorry.

i hope you get betr.

I hope this doesn't happen! Although I can sense something is amiss - it's been 4 days now. The only thing I did different this time that may have triggered it was use lots of various decongestants as new gf has loads round her house. Apparently that can do it. But I've stopped & it hasnt come back.

Food is now hecca-decca-boring. Trying to work out how to make lemonade out of this. Maybe eat healthier food because I can't tell the difference between nice unhealthy food & boring healthy food?

Totally sucks because I'm a foodie & gf is a foodie too. We were really enjoying cooking for each other & now I can't even taste my own cooking to see if its even edible. Wth

Edited by lala

Lala: hopefully you recover in due time but if not, there is an experimental treatment out there: apparently this drug, theophylline, is known to helpful to suffers of anosmia although tests are still ongoing >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophylline

Scroll down this page for a New Scientist article about a man who lost his sense of smell--and like you too, enjoyed his drink and food--but eventually, and slowly, regained it through the use of this treatment not commonly prescribed. This article was ten years ago though so perhaps it's not as obscure a treatment now. >> http://www.jenniferboyer.com/anosmianews4.html

However, if it recovers without such treatment then that would be the best. If not, at least you know there might be a possible cure. Stay positive!

^ wat happen? WATMM is halp

Got new motherboard and power supply, all other bits are newish. Motherboard shows red led and nothing happens

make sure your RAM is installed correctly. requires firm pressure.

consult your motherboard manual—what does the red LED indicate?

Got new motherboard and power supply, all other bits are newish. Motherboard shows red led and nothing happens

I've left the tower with my brother to look at; seems like we've exhausted every potential cause

we tried everything, flushing, decongestants, inhalation, sticking fingers up there, leaving alone.. was weird because my nose wasnt blocked, air was getting there but no smell.

Read about garlic maybe being a cure. Half a clove later & my smell started to come back!

i didnt think it would be gone forever but 3/4 days of no smell and you start to get quite bummed out, especially over christmas! eating all the food and my gf telling me what it tastes like became not funny after a while

it is working

we tried everything, flushing, decongestants, inhalation, sticking fingers up there, leaving alone.. was weird because my nose wasnt blocked, air was getting there but no smell.

Read about garlic maybe being a cure. Half a clove later & my smell started to come back!

i didnt think it would be gone forever but 3/4 days of no smell and you start to get quite bummed out, especially over christmas! eating all the food and my gf telling me what it tastes like became not funny after a while

this is what first world problems are all about. noice.

Sydney is stupidly expensive to live in, and getting more so by the day. I'm looking at options elsewhere in Australia, considering Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, in that order. Melbourne would be a clear first choice were it not for the shatty weather.

i had a family reunion today and i felt very odd: not knowing what to say or how to act and i knew people were picking up on it..... so , like, an hour later and i just snapped out of it and started talking to everyone and being friendly. wtf

shit got real

i met my dad today who is divorced from my mom. i see him once or twice a year. i asked him if my mom ever had a baby that died because a long time ago my sister told me i had a younger brother that died before i was born. it seems she just told me that to fuck with me but my dad said actually your mom did have a miscarriage, before my sister was born and she flushed it down the toliet. that was way too much info for me so i'm talking about it here. as close as i am to my mom, very close, i could never talk to her about it.

i'm not quite sure why my dad told me all that.

That's a really intense thing to deal with and no offence but it doesn't sound like your dad used much tact in the way he told you.

I also believe I had a younger brother that was miscarried but I don't dare ask my mum about it. Don't know what she would say really.

That's a really intense thing to deal with and no offence but it doesn't sound like your dad used much tact in the way he told you.

I also believe I had a younger brother that was miscarried but I don't dare ask my mum about it. Don't know what she would say really.

yeah, word. sometimes my dad can be quit blunt/ not really think about how others feel.

i like to think that little guy/girl is up there looking down on me.

Some people are just more matter of fact and not pussies, you did bring it up yek, and i figured he thought that you are a man now so can be more realistic about these things that happen and are a part of life. I wouldn't bring it up with your mother though, i doubt that she wants to relive that, and it would probably cause unnecessary tension between your parents, "why the hell did you tell him that etc".

Some people are just more matter of fact and not pussies, you did bring it up yek, and i figured he thought that you are a man now so can be more realistic about these things that happen and are a part of life. I wouldn't bring it up with your mother though, i doubt that she wants to relive that, and it would probably cause unnecessary tension between your parents, "why the hell did you tell him that etc".

as the go-go's say: our my lips are sealed.

Being sensitive to a family members feelings doesn't make you a pussy.

It works both ways stephen, if you know that a family member is blunt (open, not a pussy), don't open a conversational pardora's box by asking about miscarriages. I come from a family where my father is very logical about things, we are less emotional and don't fuck around some fuzzy unforeseeable boundaries and just tell it like it is. I think in the long run this state of mind causes way less pain than being conditioned as some precious object who then sadly uses this state of being as a blunt instrument to wack whomever isn't like this.

lel, in another fwp:

How normal is it for a headphone jack in on a laptop to "disconnect" with just a few millimeters out? It snaps and works properly, but I wonder if it's normal 'cause normally when it's a bit out it should sound mono and then nothing... In mine with just a few mm it disconnects completely from my laptop (meaning no sound through them).

I'm using a Dell :)