IGNORED

What was the first IDM album?

Guest enxyme

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

why are there people claiming early acid house is IDM? fucking n00bs.

for once i agree with the man, BCM!

late 80's early acid is not IDM. and Raymond Scott is not IDM.. wut!? - anything from the 50's and 60's should be dissmissed also.

Guest theSun

lol that raymond scott stuff

i'm not that learned on older electronic acts but computer world gets my vote.

I'm still not clear on what we mean by IDM here - heavily reverb electronic noises with enough rhythm to differentiate it from straight ambient, or fast, complicated drum machine/break beats in uncommon time signatures? Because there have been albums resembling the former since at least the 1950s, but the latter is probably more of a late 90s thing that doesn't really resemble the early releases of any of the big names in the genre.

Guest WOIAJO

for sure this

warp-artificial-intelligence.jpg

that's it....

btw/ let's not forget Plaid - Mbuki Mvuki, LFO - Frequencies, Network's Bio Rhythm comps ...

and please.. no raymond scott, morton subotnick, delia derbyshire, mort garson, bruce haack, nik raicevic, roger roger, jj. perrey, g.boneschi, dissevelt/baltan, eric siday, bbc radiophonic workshop dudes and the likes...

i think we're discussing IDM as defined by Warp's AI series here...

i think we're discussing IDM as defined by Warp's AI series here...

In that case I think albums on Warp's AI series are the first IDM releases then :wtf:

Guest WOIAJO

1987. NINETEEN NINETY EIGHTY SEVAN. Most of you werent even born

199087?

well, it's for some reason they were called Phuture..

• 6 months later...

in my very strong opinion the IDM scene was brought out of a combination of Severed Heads and Coil's early work mixed with a little bit of Art of Noise and kraftwerk. I think Aphex twin maybe won't admit it but he was obviously listening to a lot of the stuff i listed above when he jumped into the fray

why are there people claiming early acid house is IDM? fucking n00bs.

for once i agree with the man, BCM!

late 80's early acid is not IDM. and Raymond Scott is not IDM.. wut!? - anything from the 50's and 60's should be dissmissed also.

completely agree, and i think its my first time with you!

for me there is a fine line between really out there early industrial like Esplendor Geometrico, Severed Heads and proto IDM.

Also probably the closest artist ive heard to Aphex-like IDM that came before is VDB joel

Archived