IGNORED

The Wine Thread

J3FF3R00

yea my aerator is a little different than that. can you do a whole bottle with that or just by the glass?

malbecs are def a goto in my family. Sangiovese is one of my favorites as well, I might drink that the most I think. I do drink a lot of red blends. had a cab/malbec mix last week that was quite good. there is a Sangiovese mix I get all the time that I can't remember the name of but I can picture the label.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy wine based on price alone. Anything in the $8-$10 range I find is fine by me. I only buy red wine during colder months or if I'm eating at a restaurant and I've ordered red meat or a pasta dish.

I remember reading somewhere that when ordering a glass of wine at a restaurant, go ahead and order the cheapest glass. Many people will order the 2nd cheapest glass, thinking that they have not ordered the cheapest (like the $7 glass as opposed to the $6 one) and it will be better, when that's not the case.

yea my aerator is a little different than that. can you do a whole bottle with that or just by the glass?

whatever you can fit underneath the spigot thing. so if you want to pour a magnum into a bathtub through that, then you can. i do this a lot. then i get a jetski and just launch the wine out the bathtub into all of my towels. then i wring my towels out into a wine glass. then i pour my wine glass into a humidifier. then i go to sleep. then i wake up red.

it was given to me as a gift. i thought it was a regift, a gimmick, and never considered using it till recently when i started reading consumer reviews. i tried blind taste tests on my friends, my parents, and myself. turns out, it's legit. now i just dump all my shit through it into a glass of wine. good wine, target box wine, white wine, dont care. sparkling water, milk, cable bill, work emails, trash, whatever. if it touches my hands, it goes through the fucking vinturi.

U got a pretty good lol outa me with that one.

What are you guys take on Sangria? I personally love it, but it's not something I can drink on a regular basis.

i love sangria, especially at a good Portuguese restaurant, but i have never made it. in Arizona last year, I had the best sangria I ever had at a Mexican joint. and there is a local Cuban place by me that has several wild sangrias that are good.

I remember reading somewhere that when ordering a glass of wine at a restaurant, go ahead and order the cheapest glass. Many people will order the 2nd cheapest glass, thinking that they have not ordered the cheapest (like the $7 glass as opposed to the $6 one) and it will be better, when that's not the case.

this is true. they've studied the psychology of diners and build their menus to suit... they know that people who don't want to appear cheapo but don't want to spend loads will moslty choose the second wine on the list so they put a bigger mark-up on it. second on the list is generally bought in for less than the house wine. they do the same for the food menu - 2nd cheapest option has bigger mark-up. sneaky bastards.

Guest disparaissant

i make sangria two or three times a year. got a recipe for "perfect" sangria from a portuguese friend of mine but i think i used it once. and now i can't find it.

this is how i do it though:

one 4l jug of carlo rossi cabernet sauvignon in a giant pitcher

slice up three oranges, throw em in

slice up two apples, throw em in

slice up two lemons, throw em in

slice up two limes, throw em in

4 shots triple sec

2 shots grand marnier

4 shots brandy

2 shots gin

a glass of 7up

add sugar if it tastes like shit

add more gin or some vodka if you want to get really fucking hammered

stir it REALLY well.

the best bit is polishing it off and drunkenly eating alcohol soaked fruit

fuck im classy

this is true. they've studied the psychology of diners and build their menus to suit... they know that people who don't want to appear cheapo but don't want to spend loads will moslty choose the second wine on the list so they put a bigger mark-up on it. second on the list is generally bought in for less than the house wine. they do the same for the food menu - 2nd cheapest option has bigger mark-up. sneaky bastards.

I have done the "2nd on the list" option before. One time I remember doing it was at Ronnie Scotts. The 2nd cheapest was a beautiful Chianti which was fucking lovely. The cheapest on that occasion tasted like goon so this theory didn't take hold on that occasion, but I will keep this in mind in future.

i make sangria two or three times a year. got a recipe for "perfect" sangria from a portuguese friend of mine but i think i used it once. and now i can't find it.

this is how i do it though:

one 4l jug of carlo rossi cabernet sauvignon in a giant pitcher

slice up three oranges, throw em in

slice up two apples, throw em in

slice up two lemons, throw em in

slice up two limes, throw em in

4 shots triple sec

2 shots grand marnier

4 shots brandy

2 shots gin

a glass of 7up

add sugar if it tastes like shit

add more gin or some vodka if you want to get really fucking hammered

stir it REALLY well.

the best bit is polishing it off and drunkenly eating alcohol soaked fruit

fuck im classy

lol

Guest disparaissant

it's a delicate science, sangria.

in my defense, spanish sangria often has sugar in it!

oh right if you wanna be classy throw some mint leaves in that fucker

Guest disparaissant

i have not tried this but it sounds like a fantastic idea.

everything i say runs contrary to this thread. SPOIL YOUR WINE WITH VODKA, PEOPLE! BAG IN BOX 4 LYFE! CARLO ROSSI IS THE WORLD'S GREATEST WINEMAKER!

Guest disparaissant

just to continue the trend, this is my shit

13033_6.jpg

things it has going for it:

• tastes like kool aid
  • does not induce migraines
  • have never gotten a hangover from it
  • when i drink a lot of it i giggle like a schoolgirl
  • costs $7.49 for a 3-liter bottle

livingston red rose, truly the queen of the wines.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

love the luigi bosca, DFE. I was in argentina last year, visiting buenos aires and mendoza (where all the malbec is produced). you could let your finger drift down to the bottom of the wine menu and pick out their most expensive bottle of wine for about $30. They would have to climb to the top of the cellar rack and blow the dust off the bottle. and it was delicious. i'm all about south american wines as everyday workhorse wines.

absolutely, my now-ex-gf and i did the same just a few months ago, spent 3 days in mendoza bumming around lujan and we went to a few different places. bosca had the highest quality of all the wines we tasted; did you bring any back with you?

it was given to me as a gift. i thought it was a regift, a gimmick, and never considered using it till recently when i started reading consumer reviews. i tried blind taste tests on my friends, my parents, and myself. turns out, it's legit. now i just dump all my shit through it into a glass of wine. good wine, target box wine, white wine, dont care. sparkling water, milk, cable bill, work emails, trash, whatever. if it touches my hands, it goes through the fucking vinturi.

so this eliminates the need for a decanter, it's like an instant decanter? that's kinda brilliant.

that's kinda brilliant.

it is. i didn't know there was such a thing. i never have the forethought to decant and let it breathe. i just guzzle.

love the luigi bosca, DFE. I was in argentina last year, visiting buenos aires and mendoza (where all the malbec is produced). you could let your finger drift down to the bottom of the wine menu and pick out their most expensive bottle of wine for about $30. They would have to climb to the top of the cellar rack and blow the dust off the bottle. and it was delicious. i'm all about south american wines as everyday workhorse wines.

absolutely, my now-ex-gf and i did the same just a few months ago, spent 3 days in mendoza bumming around lujan and we went to a few different places. bosca had the highest quality of all the wines we tasted; did you bring any back with you?

so this eliminates the need for a decanter, it's like an instant decanter? that's kinda brilliant.

yeah we brought some back with us, still have about 5 bottles in our "cellar" (basement tool shelf). my favorite wineries were mendel and achaval ferrer. didnt visit bosca but was a favorite of ours when we were at the parillas in B.A.

yep exactly right about the vinturi. i recommend.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

yeah we brought some back with us, still have about 5 bottles in our "cellar" (basement tool shelf). my favorite wineries were mendel and achaval ferrer. didnt visit bosca but was a favorite of ours when we were at the parillas in B.A.

word. i've heard very good things about achaval ferrer, so i'll have to try some of that before too long. if you ever have the chance to pick up any of luigi bosca's gala blends DO IT, they are fantastic. a little on the pricey side but worth every penny (40-50$USD/bottle i think)

Archived