IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can sorta get why TECHNO CASUALS would be into Skrillex. I mean, if your main exposure to music is top 40, used as background noise & never really examined, it's fairly reasonable to assume that upon being exposed to Skrillex you might think "wow, this guy writes a perfectly upbeat pop song & then turns it into an insane wall of noise midway through. What an edgy, subversive dude!"

Of course WATMM spends most of its time listening to, discussing, & producing electronic music, so when we hear it it sounds like some cheesy vst pop (and I say that as a big fan of vsts) with a tacked on basswob section that doesn't so much feel like controlled chaos as a guy flicking through some presets.

If you listen to synth music regularly, & especially if you get a taste for making it yourself, it won't be long before you come to recognize how most popular sounds are made, & it takes an increasingly unique noise to wow you without it having an actual tune behind it. It's like trying to do a card trick for a room full of magicians.

very well said. The only part I'd add, is the the room full of magicians never saw this coming: The white nerd doing dubstep and getting over big time. He's probably even boned Fake Becky.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I think I just listened to a Skrillex track called 'Ruffneck' on Youtube but I'm not 100%. I honestly can't tell the difference between what's real and what's just people taking the piss.

The video involved Santa getting involved in a punch up. Help me out here.

Guest Backson

i'm going to put this out there, and it may prove an unpopular opinion:

I hate Skrillex 30% because his music is stupid and 70% because its so damn fun to hate that little fucking emo.

I've heard 4 Skrillex songs now, so I think I've got his formula figured out. This stuff might actually sound good if it had

A. production values. Guys on Soundcloud with no budget can make a full sounding mix, Skrillex should be able to too

B. the pop song parts were catchy & memorable

C. there was more going on in the crazy sections than wobbing

D. The crazy sounds were actually used to musical effect & not just for the crazy

I've heard 4 Skrillex songs now, so I think I've got his formula figured out. This stuff might actually sound good if it had

A. production values. Guys on Soundcloud with no budget can make a full sounding mix, Skrillex should be able to too

B. the pop song parts were catchy & memorable

C. there was more going on in the crazy sections than wobbing

D. The crazy sounds were actually used to musical effect & not just for the crazy

nailed it. great post.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I don't care how passé Skrillex hate is; I can't believe how poor this new Bangarang Ep is.

It's like he somehow got worse.

Guest Backson

i'm going to put this out there, and it may prove an unpopular opinion:

I hate Skrillex 30% because his music is stupid and 70% because its so damn fun to hate that little fucking emo.

does no one agree?

Guest Lucy Faringold

I don't hate him as a person at all. His spectacular gifsmanship actually endeared him to me quite a bit.

But this EP...

It's like he's trying to prove he has more strings to his bow, but in doing so he's realised that far from even having a bow at all, he's actually standing naked in a forest with a fully-erect 200lb warthog stampeding towards him.

I can sorta get why TECHNO CASUALS would be into Skrillex. I mean, if your main exposure to music is top 40, used as background noise & never really examined, it's fairly reasonable to assume that upon being exposed to Skrillex you might think "wow, this guy writes a perfectly upbeat pop song & then turns it into an insane wall of noise midway through. What an edgy, subversive dude!"

Of course WATMM spends most of its time listening to, discussing, & producing electronic music, so when we hear it it sounds like some cheesy vst pop (and I say that as a big fan of vsts) with a tacked on basswob section that doesn't so much feel like controlled chaos as a guy flicking through some presets.

If you listen to synth music regularly, & especially if you get a taste for making it yourself, it won't be long before you come to recognize how most popular sounds are made, & it takes an increasingly unique noise to wow you without it having an actual tune behind it. It's like trying to do a card trick for a room full of magicians.

very well said. The only part I'd add, is the the room full of magicians never saw this coming: The white nerd doing dubstep and getting over big time. He's probably even boned Fake Becky.

I agree, this is why I never really had a huge problem with skrillex.

Plus

I like how fake he is and still gets away with it, bet he doesn't even like his own tracks or electronic music in general.

I don't think he even understands what he is doing

Archived