IGNORED

Slowdive – Pygmalion

modey

So is anyone else as obsessed with this album as I am? Parts of it remind me of SAW2, especially 'Miranda' and 'Crazy For You'. Actually it's kinda like a cross between SAW2 and Talk Talk's later albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2eujVjmIAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphrbNdXMc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYerbroPX34

Edited by modey

• 2 weeks later...

how did i miss this thread?

beautiful album from start to finish,

Souvlaki came close, but IMO Space Station is one of the greatest tracks ive ever heard.

certainly my favorite slowdive record/. that isn't saying much seeing i think souvlaki is kind of 'emo' apart from good songs, and their debut is just all around terrible emo style. that's just my opinion on it though.

pygmalion though was on a completely different level from those, i'll be returning to it for the rest of my life if onlky for 'crazy for you' because the atmosphere is so specific to that timeat decade.

• 1 month later...

Since we're in a pygmallion mood. This is something I did using Miranda Samples. I also used a Higher Intelligence Agency Sample. I kinda did a 90s vibe Hip Hop track out of it. I have a version with The Lost Boyz Acapella on it, but Ppeeps like instrumentals.

http://soundcloud.com/leftmwrosario/miranda-instrumental

Guest igloos unlmtd

i find this album too drawn out & depressing. i'm hardly ever in the mood for it which is great because i prefer to be a happy person.

Pygmalion has grand mystique though - it has a cool name, a cool sleeve, & it use be extremely hard to find a copy. .

If I want to hear this kind of music I'll listen to early Seefeel which is way better.

If I'm in the mood for Slowdive then it's all Blue Day/Souvlaki era stuff.

one of the bleakest albums ever. it's a deep dark void of bleakness, but a really pretty one with (as mentioned) killer delay effects and nice thick reverb.

my favorite track is trellisaze, great processing and weird jangly noises on that one.

Guest zaphod

Great album. Initially dismissed it because Souvlaki is so much more immediate, but over time this has become the only album of their's that I still listen to. Reminds me a bit of a Talk Talk record.

Great album. Initially dismissed it because Souvlaki is so much more immediate, but over time this has become the only album of their's that I still listen to. Reminds me a bit of a Talk Talk record.

Yeah, Blue Skied and Clear is a total ripoff of one of the tracks on Spirit of Eden (I Believe in You, I think?)

Yeah, Blue Skied and Clear is a total ripoff of one of the tracks on Spirit of Eden (I Believe in You, I think?)

YES!

• 6 months later...

I actually do like Pygmalion a bit more than the Talk Talk albums. I definitely think it's heavily inspired by them. I think the vibe goes even deeper though. Then again it's kind of idiotic to pick one over the other. All great.

Recently I realized just how depressing Pygmalion can be though. I mean, I always just heard it as really deep... but it's actually kind of lethargic sounding at times. Other times very romantic and spiritual.

A great album and its aged so gracefully. It was absolutely panned and largely ignored when it first came out, they were ahead of their

time with it in retrospect but have mostly been vindicated now with how many artists admit to their influence. It's a great 3am album, it'll never floor me like "She calls" or "Morningrise" did when they came out but there's lots to discover for the patient listener in this.

Nice topic bump. Probably my favourite album to come out of the whole shoegazing thing, but second the comments on not being in the mood to listen to it that often. Blue Skied An' Clear destroys me. Might have to give the later Talk Talk stuff a listen based on some of the replies here.

To those who didn't know, I believe the cover if memory serves, is a section from one of Stockhausen's graphical scores.