IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

Guest Roksen Creek

By the way, if they released Quaristice Versions as the main album instead of Quaristice, that would be in my top three.

Frickin incredible that is.

Guest Xenblake

quaristice was the first album I heard and it opened me up to the world of autechre, but I never really find myself coming back to it and when I do i find it underwhelming in comparison to alot of their other work.

The good thing with quadrange is that the short bursts of energy scattered throughout quaristice are given room to evolve and breathe, or at least just exist longer than 2-3 minutes.

Guest Roksen Creek

Yeah, Quadrange is great too. But my favourite release of the Quaristice suite is Versions (the second CD on the special edition).

For the same reasons you bring up, the tracks are allowed to evolve and breathe, you can lose yourself in them and drift off. To put it more cheesily, it feels like a sonic journey. Most Ae albums are like that to me, but Quaristice went for the scatterbrain approach instead. As good as it is, I don't feel like it lets the tracks sink into you.

I prefer Versions to Quadrange personally as it feels more varied, Quadrange is definitely on the more ambient end. Versions has the best of all worlds.

Guest sirch

So there's a bunch of people in this thread saying that melodic autechre is not true autechre or something?

hahaha. what?

they have some great melodies, when they care to use them, innit.

Guest Balance

I know, I've always loved their melodies, never understood all this "actual melodies" thing people come out with.

Maybe I don't know what a melody is, is it a tune?

Because I love their tunes, not sure what people mean.

Guest Roksen Creek

I think it must just be that some people don't like certain types of melodies. For me definitely, it's the melodies I like the most about Autechre, the rhythms are great too and they drive the track and add structure, but it's the melodies that stick with me and make me love a track. Even the weird melodies in their "difficult" albums.

Guest Xenblake

So there's a bunch of people in this thread saying that melodic autechre is not true autechre or something?

hahaha. what?

they have some great melodies, when they care to use them, innit.

have you listened to draft, drunk whilst falling asleep all comfy in your bed?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boardsofautechre

draft 7.30

all the quaristice's

untilted

confield

move of ten

(all above are very even)

oversteps

chiastic slide

ep7

inculabula

(hard to judge)

worst: (somehow the EP's around this era [-1995] clicked better with me)

- amber

- tri repetae

Guest Balance

The best one on Confield is the one with a great tune, the beats in the best one are great too, but when the tune comes in it's fun time.

That's what I meant about actual melodies, there's great actual melodies on Confield and Untilted, I love techre's actual melodies.

Guest Roksen Creek

Balance, you talking about Pen Expers?

Yeah, some great melodies on Confield and Untilted. I like the way Untilted's melodies aren't in your face and obvious, they kind of hang in the background all cool and laid back like they don't give a fuck. This is who they are and they won't change for anybody.

Guest Balance

Yes, Pen Expers.

Was just saying that their supposed non-melodic albums are.

Man Untilted is so good I'd love the leftovers of that era, athough we do have the glasgow set and quaristice.

I'm so ready for the new stuff.

Seems like they're over huge crazy Untilted beats but I'd love some of that.

• 6 months later...
Guest CobalTim

In the wake of Exai's release (and the "is Confield AE's best album?" thread turning into a comparative lists thread), I decided to resurrect this thread and finally post in it. I think I got it right:

The top four (the perfect ones):

• Exai
  • Untilted
  • Tri Repetae
  • Confield

Then the emotional ones:

• Amber
  • Chiastic Slide
  • LP5

Then the flawed ones:

• Quaristice
  • Draft 7.30
  • Oversteps
  • Incunabula

Quaristice seems so low. I was obsessed about this album when it was released (first one I bought on release day, even if I got into Ae in 2005). I think there's something in the lines of a coitus interruptus about Quaristice: so many good ideas thrown together in small little bits that I want to listen to at the same time, yet it doesn't achieve to be greater than the sum of its parts. And, I'll say it: "Steels", "Fol3" and "bnc Castl" should have been cut from the final release. Yeah, that's how I'm obsessed about Quaristice: writing about how imperfect it is in a "All Ae album from best to worst" thread.

Edited by CobalTim

I was tempted to put Exai really high up. When if first came out I was itching to call it their best.

The fact of the matter is Ae have a lot of really amazing albums, and Exai is definitely one of them, but I think it just has some impossible competition.

My list (which may change by next week):

-EP7

-Confield

-LP5

-Exai

-Chiastic Slide

-envane/cichlisuite/anvil vapre

-Oversteps

-Draft 7.30

-Move of Ten

-Tri Repetae

-Gantz Graf/Peel Session 2

-Untilted

-Peel Session 1/Anti/Garbage

-Amber

-Quaristice

-Incunabula

Guest SiddharthaWolf

Exai still hasn't completed settled with me, but I'll put it in an approximate position for the moment:

LP5

Tri Repetae / Chiastic Slide (these three in my opinion are their absolute masterpieces)

---------------------------------------------------

Confield (a masterpiece which I just don't personally connect with as much as the aforementioned)

---------------------------------------------------

Oversteps (new direction, seems fresh and yet referential to earlier Autechres at the same time - some absolute gems which recall for me the aesthetic of their golden period)

--------------------------------------------------

Exai (really love some tracks, and the texture particularly, but just can't seem to make friends with it in the same way as the top 3 or Oversteps)

-------------------------------------------------

Incunabula (classic, though dated)

------------------------------------------------

EP7

Draft 7.30

Amber

Quaristice

Untilted (could never get into these 4 - excluding Amber - in the same way as the others, seemed messier and less interesting, though each with some fantastic moments. Amber has some great tracks but I always found I liked Incunabula's atmosphere more)

Guest VgqepetrahLcwg swr6

1. Confield

2. Quaristice + versions & quadrange

3. Exai

4. Untilted

5. Draft 7.30

6. Chiastic Slide

7. LP5

8. Oversteps

9. Amber

10. Tri Repetae

11. Incunabula

Although Quaristice is constantly getting ripped on up in this joint, I love it. "Steels" and "Fol3" are perfect. The artwork is also the best Autechre-artwork to date.

Albums

1. Tri Repetae

2. Amber

3. LP5

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Exai

6. Incunabula

7. Draft 7.30

8. Oversteps

9. Untilted

10. Quaristice

11. Confield

EP's

1. Garbage

2. Envane

3. Anvil Vapre ‎

4. Anti EP

5. Cichlisuite

6. Peel Session 2

7. EP7

8 .Peel Session

9. Move Of Ten

10. Basscad EP

11. Gantz Graf

Edited by Ceerial

Guest VgqepetrahLcwg swr6

1. Tri Repetae

2. Amber

3. LP5

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Exai

6. Incunabula

7. Draft 7.30

8. Oversteps

9. Untilted

10. Quaristice

11. Confield

I reject your opinion. It is invalid.

Here's mine for now. It's stable for the most (Top 3) but it does shift a bit from time to time, and I'm still trying to digest Exai after many listens.

1. Confield

2. Chiastic Slide

3. Draft 7.30

4. Untilted

5. LP 5

6. Exai

7. Quaristice

8. Oversteps

9. Amber

10. Tri Repetae

11. Incunabula

If I were to add the ep's I just know Cichlisuite, Envane, EP 7, and Gantz Graf would be the top 4.