IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

Guest Rulohead32

The problem with Quaristice is that there are too many great riffs and loops, but then the rest of the song is boring, or it only does that loop.

The start of Perlence is >life, and Altibzz is like the best ambient song they've done.

Quaristice is awesome, i like it more then draft or confield

good for you...

for me, quar is the least interesting. it is not a bad album, but compared to the rest.....well... :cerious:

but meng, it's like 20 totally different tracks, you should give it another try (met hollandse truffels :crazy: )

i listened to it more then 50 times for sure...but it is not a great story they tell on that album. it's just dub tracks put together...like a best of..(en ik doe geen paddo's meer... :nyan: )

Guest disoriental express

Cut the quaristice tracks you don't like, rearrange the ones you do like, then see how it sounds to you. Experiment.

It took doing that for me to truly get into it, and now I am FUCKING INTO IT. :trap:

Cut the quaristice tracks you don't like, rearrange the ones you do like, then see how it sounds to you. Experiment.

It took doing that for me to truly get into it, and now I am FUCKING INTO IT. :trap:

it is not about tracks i don't like, it is about that album consists of parts. It's not 1 album...so i would break down this album into 4 or even 5 ep's

1. Confield

2. Tri Repetae

3. All others

11. Quaristice

Quaristice to me sounds uninspired after all.

Edited by Guest

This changes all the time...except for the first place.

1. Untilted

2. Draft

3. Confield

4. LP5

5. Oversteps

6. Quaristice

7. Chiastic Slide

8. Tri Repetae

9. Amber

10. Incunabula

Exai is within top 5 so far and i doubt that it could dethrone Untilted in the near future.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

Interesting how much it varies for people here. I suppose Tri Repetae is a bit under represented here because many fans of the 'old' Autechre have mostly given up on them at this point.

It is hard to make an entire list, so I'll group mine,

1: Tri Repetae++, LP5

2: Amber, Incunabula, Untilted, Confield, Draft 7.30, Chiastic Slide, Quaristice

3: Oversteps, Exai

I've been pretty dissapointed with their direction recently.

Interesting how much it varies for people here. I suppose Tri Repetae is a bit under represented here because many fans of the 'old' Autechre have mostly given up on them at this point.

2: Amber, Incunabula, Untilted, Confield, Draft 7.30, Chiastic Slide, Quaristice

Unfortunate. I'm not going to get all high and mighty about the brilliance of Exai, as Ae lost me for a while as well with the Draft through Quaristice period. Although there are some absolutely stellar tracks among those three releases, I kind of thought Ae had lost their magic and wasn't expecting them to return to the brilliance I loved from 97-01. But I've absolutely loved Oversteps and even more so Exai. I can only hope it clicks with you with time, sometimes that's all it takes.

Quaristice is dope up until the end of Rale, great flow. After that, still awesome, but more forgettable and all over the shop.

Quaristice is smack bang in the middle of their discog imo. not their best and not their worst.

I've gathered that Autechre fans are usually wrong about two things; Quaristice being bad, and Oversteps being good.

Yeah, you'd be wrong there. Kidding of course, that's the wonderful thing about Ae, we can all find wonder in completely different sounds. I bought the special version of Quaristice, don't really regret it, but it's definitely the most money I've ever paid for an album, and definitely my least favorite Ae album that I own, which is most of them. Has some great tracks, but they feel unfinished and most of them don't really have that grand sense of epicness I love from Ae.

Oversteps on the other hand, I don't really get the hate for. Sure it's noodly, but I'm a big lover of proggy synth stuff from the 70s and was listening to a lot of that at the time, so for me that was Ae's return to form. MOT is a bit wanky, but I still like it. I just hope we can all agree on loving Exai.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

I've gathered that Autechre fans are usually wrong about two things; Quaristice being bad, and Oversteps being good.

This.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

Unfortunate. I'm not going to get all high and mighty about the brilliance of Exai, as Ae lost me for a while as well with the Draft through Quaristice period. Although there are some absolutely stellar tracks among those three releases, I kind of thought Ae had lost their magic and wasn't expecting them to return to the brilliance I loved from 97-01. But I've absolutely loved Oversteps and even more so Exai. I can only hope it clicks with you with time, sometimes that's all it takes.

Maybe the problem isn't that Exai hasn't "clicked" with me, maybe Draft-Quaristice hasn't clicked with you.

I would probably place Draft further down the list than some of their other releases because many of the tracks I just don't listen to. But Untilted is such a terrific album, as is Quaristice. On Untilted the songs evolved in such a brilliant way, and on Quaristice the tracks have so much character. No two tracks could possible be mistakened for one another.

On Oversteps/Exai, I hear the opposite of these things. They have very little character between them, at least compared to stuff from Draft-Quaristice. I will say that, as of now, I like Exai much more than Oversteps.

I know I'm quite alone with this, but this is in order of my personal preference, regardless of objective quality:

Tri Repetae

Draft 7.30

Amber

Untilted

Confield

Chiastic Slide

Quaristice

Incunabula

LP5

Oversteps

[Exai??? not heard yet]

Edited by Terpentintollwut

What did incunabula ever do to you people? Better than S.A.W. for sure!

indeed. Incunabula is pretty badass, though I haven't listened to it as a whole for a while. I sometimes put on Doctrine to remind me of the good times.

• 1 month later...
Guest X Fretensis

Being back in 'Techreland of late - primarily owing to Exai, of course - I've been checking out their discography all over again, with fresh ears as it were. One result has been that I am lost in wonderment all over again at just how f-ing incredible much of their work is. Another is that my favourites have been rejigged in order. I previously rated Quaristice and it's attendant releases very near the top of the pile, but now I place it below the obvious jewels in the crown, viz:

Confield - beyond words, sublime

Chiastic Slide - perfection, on a less lofty plane

LP5 - incredible compositions, perfect mix between the melodic feel of TR, and the rhythmic depth and complexity of Chiastic Slide

Draft 7.30 - for Surripere // Untilted - tie for 4th place.Before discovering this place I would have rated these lowest, but seeing all the love and praise lavished on them in these quarters made me get them out, dust them off and have a jolly good listen. And yes, they feature some of the B Boys best bits, absolutely no doubt about it. Big shout out for the live stuff from this era - Montreal is out of this world completely, and Glasgow is not far behind. Hearing the IO riff come in is incredible - I prefer the 'original' version to the one that showed its face on Quaristice. Intriguing to see how it evolved out of that Untilted track.

Quaristice+ (i.e. inc. Versions and the Quad ep thing.) - seemed like an embarassment of riches at the time, but the sheen has worn off a bit. The hour long perlence subrange is incredible stuff, which has often been left on repeat, particularly when gaming. I divide the releases into five album length ones - Quaristice I, Quaristice II (I see-saw back and forth between these two as to which is my favourite), Quadrange shorter songs divided into Quadrange I and Quadrange II, whilst Quadrange III is naturally constituted solely of the long perlence subrange 6-36.

Oh, and hi everybody! Nice to be here, really great forum, and I've learned a ton of shit, and been turned on to buttloads of new autechre, which I hadn't suspected existed.

Exai - still far from settled, but a the moment it's strengths do put it above the ones listed below.

Tri Repetae

Incunabula

Amber

Overand - what can I say, but that this album is not for me. I rate Move of Ten as the best release from this period, but overall I have little love for this period.

As for the EPs, well...

The run from Garbage through to Gantz Graf is unsurpassed in any genre - absolutely astounding creativity. The monolithic Quadrange ep is taking the piss - I consider this and EP7 to be weird hybrid of EP and LP, neither fish nor fowl, nor good red herring. However they are both incredible, taken on their own terms.

Guest Retosik

1. LP5

2. Untilted (it finally clicked)

3. Oversteps (i really love that album)

4. Exai

5. Confield

6. Chiastic Slide

7. Draft 7.30

8. Incunabula

9. Tri Repetae

10. Quaristice

11. Amber (sorry)

Right, here goes:

1. Confield

2. Untilted

3. Draft 7.30

4. LP 5

5. Exai

6. Quaristce (Versions) / Quaristice

7. Chiastic Slide

8. Tri Repetae

9. Oversteps

10. Amber

11. Incunabula

There you go. I feel bad putting them in order as there isn't any bad albums. But that's the order.

Guest X Fretensis

Thou art brave sir, and I find your actions laudable to the highest degree. I do wish to raise a point which holds no small interest to me - to wit, that Chiastic Slide languishes in the bottom half of your list though otherwise your choices bear witness to an exceedingly rational mind at work.

Edited by X Fretensis

Mmmm all I can say is LP5 is my favorite and Draft 7.30 is least favorite (by a long, long way).

I should also listen to Chiastic Slide a lot more than I do.