IGNORED

Other Music

Hugh Mughnus

Brilliant!

Given the broad variety of music posted here....

What makes one genre more appealing to you than another? Technicality? Is it a projection or reflection of yourself/your persona etc? The culture and style associated with the genre?

Or is it just good fucken choons? lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes one genre more appealing to you than another? Technicality? Is it a projection or reflection of yourself/your persona etc? The culture and style associated with the genre?

Genre isn't really important to me. I mostly look for stuff I feel has a unique idea or sense of emotional honesty. Good production values is also a plus but not a deal-maker/breaker.

Genre isn't really important to me. I mostly look for stuff I feel has a unique idea or sense of emotional honesty. Good production values is also a plus but not a deal-maker/breaker.

I also look for that unique idea and some sort of emotional sensibility, some way for myself to connect on a personal level with the music. However I find that poor production value IS a deal breaker for me because the delivery of that idea suffers if not produced properly! It's like... I can see what the artist was going for but it flops if it's poorly executed....

Thats just me though. Great post. :)

Importance of production depends on the music for me. Jandek is just some guy wailing on an out of tune guitar & doing a weird semi-on key falsetto, almost every single album, but it works because it fits the lyrics. Tonetta is pretty rough sounding, but if you can get past the insane videos & repetition you realize he's actually a good, prolific pop producer who stops working on songs as soon as he loses interest in them.

Something like instrumental electronic music, usually production is more important because atmosphere tends to play an important part there.

I listen to what I enjoy and that is as simple as that. If music has that something for me, then that's all that matters to me. Few years ago I was basically only in IDM/electronic music, but as the time progressed I have started to appreciate more and more all kinds of genres, as long as the music is good.

Importance of production depends on the music for me. Jandek is just some guy wailing on an out of tune guitar & doing a weird semi-on key falsetto, almost every single album, but it works because it fits the lyrics. Tonetta is pretty rough sounding, but if you can get past the insane videos & repetition you realize he's actually a good, prolific pop producer who stops working on songs as soon as he loses interest in them.

Something like instrumental electronic music, usually production is more important because atmosphere tends to play an important part there.

Hmm that certainly adds some context to your previous post, I appreciate it. I will have to listen to those artists and hear what you hear. I especially agree with your last comment there in regards to electronic music. When the conveyance of feeling needs to happen without any lyrics, the importance of producing the sounds/structure etc is higher I think... It doesn't have the lyric telling you what you should feel/think...

Is this perhaps why so many people are elitist when it comes to electronic, classical, and jazz music? Theres a feeling that those musics require greater... interpretation? They're more "intelligent" if you will?

I listen to what I enjoy and that is as simple as that. If music has that something for me, then that's all that matters to me. Few years ago I was basically only in IDM/electronic music, but as the time progressed I have started to appreciate more and more all kinds of genres, as long as the music is good.

I certainly like that simple approach. I think I've always over-thought music... I'm always seeking an understanding of WHY I enjoy it and then seek out those qualities and artists that can deliver MORE of those qualities. At a certain point though, I hit what I think are the artists that deliver that quality and are at the pinnacle of said quality..

Depressing sometimes that I think I've heard the BEST music, and perhaps I latch on to new artists simply for difference....

I guess that almost epitomizes life in general though. Even if you eat chicago style deep dish pizzas (a-la steinvord thread) daily, you get tired eventually, no?

Look at the Anticon record label. My favorite artists are on the labels you specified earlier, although someone who is familiar with Thrill Jockey should look into The Fiery Furnaces and Matthew Friedberger.

Also, Look at Locust Toybox's Scribble Beats, and Binarpilot's Defrag. They are both free to download.

http://www.fat-pie.com/locust/

http://binaerpilot.no/albums/defrag/

Edit: By the way, you haven't found THE BEST music yet. There is so much music out there and your tastes are probably going to change. It's an ongoing search and you shant be satisfied.

Look at the Anticon record label. My favorite artists are on the labels you specified earlier, although someone who is familiar with Thrill Jockey should look into The Fiery Furnaces and Matthew Friedberger.

Also, Look at Locust Toybox's Scribble Beats, and Binarpilot's Defrag. They are both free to download.

http://www.fat-pie.com/locust/

http://binaerpilot.no/albums/defrag/

Thanks Murveman! Are Matthew Friedberger and The Fiery Furnaces on thrill jockey? Can't wait to check out anticon... electronic in nature that label is ya?

Matthew is in the Fiery Furnaces, and they are on Thrill Jockey. Check out Bitter Tea and Widow City by Fiery Furnaces, and Winter Women by Matthew. Electronic with vocals.

Anticon is all over the place. Listen to Tobacco and Black Moth Super Rainbow for gritty electronic hip-hop inspired beats. The majority of the record label is abstract hip-hop. A good introduction to the label would be cLOUDDEAD. The label gets a lot of love on this forum.

Matthew is in the Fiery Furnaces, and they are on Thrill Jockey. Check out Bitter Tea and Widow City by Fiery Furnaces, and Winter Women by Matthew. Electronic with vocals.

Anticon is all over the place. Listen to Tobacco and Black Moth Super Rainbow for gritty electronic hip-hop inspired beats. The majority of the record label is abstract hip-hop. A good introduction to the label would be cLOUDDEAD. The label gets a lot of love on this forum.

I've heard of BMSR before! I am glad so many people have spoken up RE this topic. I am going to be very busy over the next 6 months or so with all of these albums....

I certainly like that simple approach. I think I've always over-thought music... I'm always seeking an understanding of WHY I enjoy it and then seek out those qualities and artists that can deliver MORE of those qualities. At a certain point though, I hit what I think are the artists that deliver that quality and are at the pinnacle of said quality..

Depressing sometimes that I think I've heard the BEST music, and perhaps I latch on to new artists simply for difference....

I guess that almost epitomizes life in general though. Even if you eat chicago style deep dish pizzas (a-la steinvord thread) daily, you get tired eventually, no?

Lol. But seriously, I have realized throughout time that every genre has a meaning, importance. I think that one can feel artist's approach/attitude towards his work if he focuses himself enough on his art. One interesting example was (aside from the obvious Aphex, AE, Boc, etc. ones) Throbbing Gristle. Their gig at Kezar, San Francisco, in 1981., really amazed me. I truly got the impression that they are (were) living their music.

Then again, who knows really how many great artists don't/didn't get the attention they deserve. I sometimes like to think about how many classical composers became actually forgotten, but were important in the history of music. One interesting example is Vivaldi, whose work was "rediscovered" in 20th century and soon Vivaldi got a place in the history of music he deserves, but he was relatively unknown before that "rediscovery". From Wikipedia:

"During his lifetime, Vivaldi's popularity quickly made him famous in other countries, including France where musical taste was less dictated by fashion than elsewhere.[citation needed] This popularity dwindled. After the Baroque period, Vivaldi's published concerti were relatively unknown, and largely ignored, even after Felix Mendelssohn rekindled interest in Bach. Even Vivaldi's most famous work, The Four Seasons, was unknown in its original edition.

In the early 20th century, Fritz Kreisler's Vivaldi-styled concerto (which he passed off as an original Vivaldi work) helped revive Vivaldi's reputation. This spurred the French scholar Marc Pincherle to begin an academic study of Vivaldi's oeuvre. Many Vivaldi manuscripts were rediscovered, and were acquired by the National University of Turin Library with generous sponsorship of Turinese businessmen Roberto Foa and Filippo Giordano, in memory of their sons. This led to renewed interest in Vivaldi by, among others, Mario Rinaldi, Alfredo Casella, Ezra Pound, Olga Rudge, Desmond Chute, Arturo Toscanini, Arnold Schering, and Louis Kaufman. These figures were instrumental in the Vivaldi revival of the 20th century.

In 1926, in a monastery in Piedmont, researchers discovered 14 folios of Vivaldi's work, previously thought lost during the Napoleonic wars. Some volumes in the numbered set were missing; these turned up in the collections of the descendants of the Grand Duke Durazzo who had acquired the monastery complex in the 18th century. The volumes contained 300 concertos, 19 operas and over 100 vocal-instrumental works.[43]

The resurrection of Vivaldi's unpublished works in the 20th century is mostly due to the efforts of Alfredo Casella, who in 1939 organised the historic Vivaldi Week, in which the rediscovered Gloria (RV 589) and l'Olimpiade were first revived. Since World War II, Vivaldi's compositions have enjoyed wide success. In 1947, the Venetian businessman Antonio Fanna founded the Istituto Italiano Antonio Vivaldi, with the composer Gian Francesco Malipiero as its artistic director, having the purpose of promoting Vivaldi's music and publishing new editions of his works. Historically informed performances seem to have increased Vivaldi's fame further. Unlike many of his contemporaries, whose music is rarely heard outside an academic or special-interest context, Vivaldi is popular among modern audiences."

Very interesting, no matter what your opinion is about classical music. Internet is, seen through this perspective, definitely a blessing.

Oh yea, Antonio Vivaldi, get him.

Edit: Specifically "Concerto in B Minor, Op. 3/10, l'estro Armonico" and "Concerto No 8 in A Minor".

Make sure A Minor is actually in A Minor and not incorrectly detuned to baroque G# Minor bullshit. Makes me so mad.

Lol. But seriously, I have realized throughout time that every genre has a meaning, importance. I think that one can feel artist's approach/attitude towards his work if he focuses himself enough on his art. One interesting example was (aside from the obvious Aphex, AE, Boc, etc. ones) Throbbing Gristle. Their gig at Kezar, San Francisco, in 1981., really amazed me. I truly got the impression that they are (were) living their music.

Then again, who knows really how many great artists don't/didn't get the attention they deserve. I sometimes like to think about how many classical composers became actually forgotten, but were important in the history of music. One interesting example is Vivaldi, whose work was "rediscovered" in 20th century and soon Vivaldi got a place in the history of music he deserves, but he was relatively unknown before that "rediscovery". From Wikipedia:

"During his lifetime, Vivaldi's popularity quickly made him famous in other countries, including France where musical taste was less dictated by fashion than elsewhere.[citation needed] This popularity dwindled. After the Baroque period, Vivaldi's published concerti were relatively unknown, and largely ignored, even after Felix Mendelssohn rekindled interest in Bach. Even Vivaldi's most famous work, The Four Seasons, was unknown in its original edition.

In the early 20th century, Fritz Kreisler's Vivaldi-styled concerto (which he passed off as an original Vivaldi work) helped revive Vivaldi's reputation. This spurred the French scholar Marc Pincherle to begin an academic study of Vivaldi's oeuvre. Many Vivaldi manuscripts were rediscovered, and were acquired by the National University of Turin Library with generous sponsorship of Turinese businessmen Roberto Foa and Filippo Giordano, in memory of their sons. This led to renewed interest in Vivaldi by, among others, Mario Rinaldi, Alfredo Casella, Ezra Pound, Olga Rudge, Desmond Chute, Arturo Toscanini, Arnold Schering, and Louis Kaufman. These figures were instrumental in the Vivaldi revival of the 20th century.

In 1926, in a monastery in Piedmont, researchers discovered 14 folios of Vivaldi's work, previously thought lost during the Napoleonic wars. Some volumes in the numbered set were missing; these turned up in the collections of the descendants of the Grand Duke Durazzo who had acquired the monastery complex in the 18th century. The volumes contained 300 concertos, 19 operas and over 100 vocal-instrumental works.[43]

The resurrection of Vivaldi's unpublished works in the 20th century is mostly due to the efforts of Alfredo Casella, who in 1939 organised the historic Vivaldi Week, in which the rediscovered Gloria (RV 589) and l'Olimpiade were first revived. Since World War II, Vivaldi's compositions have enjoyed wide success. In 1947, the Venetian businessman Antonio Fanna founded the Istituto Italiano Antonio Vivaldi, with the composer Gian Francesco Malipiero as its artistic director, having the purpose of promoting Vivaldi's music and publishing new editions of his works. Historically informed performances seem to have increased Vivaldi's fame further. Unlike many of his contemporaries, whose music is rarely heard outside an academic or special-interest context, Vivaldi is popular among modern audiences."

Very interesting, no matter what your opinion is about classical music. Internet is, seen through this perspective, definitely a blessing.

That is a brilliant article, thank you for sharing...

Don't laugh, but throbbing gristle: hot on the heels of love (ratcliffe remix) is one of my favorite songs.... There are so many feelings; situations I could see it being applicable to. It reminds me of a dream I've had upwards of 100 times... it's raining in times square and there's noone around... but for some reason the roads aren't paved they're dirt. And that's about the extent of that dream but I wake up and feel it to have been significant, as if for a period of time I was in another dimension experiencing that dream as my reality...

Anyway, lsd influenced dreams aside:

"But seriously, I have realized throughout time that every genre has a meaning, importance." Can that meaning per-genre be characterized in a single word? Or is that so subjective that it's impossible?

I'm sorry if these are still newb posts, but I've not had intelligent music-oriented individuals to speak to, ever. I think I'm the only WATMM member in Alberta-Canada if that's any indication.

I also wanted to suggest or ask if people knew about the great guitarists Steve Vai or Joe Satriani?

Or even Yngwie J Malmsteen... or the bassist Jaco Pastorius..?

shit I've heard a lot of music for 22 years old.

Here are some of the things that are always on my playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqS9NJGarc

?

hell ya! Global goon is great... Threezadoozy I think is my favorite both song and album.

Nine Inch Nails

Portishead

Xiu Xiu

Boredoms

OOIOO

Animal Collective

Neutral Milk Hotel

Steve Reich

The Smiths

Tom Waits

Underworld

Future Sound of London

Orbital

The Orb

Geinoh Yamashirogumi

Hello Springymajig.... I've only heard of NIN out of that list, that's great there is a lot there for me to look into. Any favorites out of that lot?

hell ya! Global goon is great... Threezadoozy I think is my favorite both song and album.

Mm. The stuff he recently put on his Soundcloud is awesome as well.

Hello Springymajig.... I've only heard of NIN out of that list, that's great there is a lot there for me to look into. Any favorites out of that lot?

Definitely check out Future Sound of London, Orbital, and The Orb out of that list. :)

Mm. The stuff he recently put on his Soundcloud is awesome as well.

Definitely check out Future Sound of London, Orbital, and The Orb out of that list. :)

Interesting, I didn't even think of checking soundcloud for global goon, going to give it a shot. Plus I will check FSOL, Orbital, and the Orb too.

Given all the recommendations in this thread I'm going to be busy for a year or two... wish me and my pocketbook luck. lol.

What about old Richie Hawtin, specifically under the Plastikman moniker circa 1992?

Plasticity is incredible.

Repetitive by todays standards but something just hits me the right way with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCcnrSnXFY

As far as electronic music goes, Future Sound of London, Orbital, The Orb and Underworld are just as important as the WATMM featured artists. Check out everything those bands did in the 90's, prepare to be severely disappointed with some of the stuff they did afterwards.

Boredoms range from insane zany noise rock on their early albums (Pop Tatari is a masterpiece) and trance-enducing space rock on their later albums (Vision Creation Newsun is beautiful). Super ae is the album that lies somewhere between these two extremes and in my opinion, is an essential album. Be warned though, most of their work is VERY difficult listening (particularly early albums) but with enough patience, it's worth it.

OOIOO is an offshoot band, by the drummer Yoshimi. Also very good stuff, much easier to listen to, but also quite psychedelic rock wierdness.

Tom Waits is a legend, and I don't think I would be exaggerating to call him one of the greatest American songwriters of the last 100 years.

He started off making very smooth jazzy pop albums in the 70s, much of which I haven't heard. But in the 80's he changed tack considerably with some very twisted, dark albums filled with strange stories and bizarre characters (many sung with different voices). He has a very distinct sound but varies quite a bit from album to album. It's very dark, has that sort of... vaudevillian swampy jazzy circus music kinda thing going on. It's hard to explain, but when you hear it you'll get it.

If you like Tom Waits, also check out Portishead, especially Third. Their first two albums are more along the lines of trip-hop, but similiar vibe to Tom Waits.

Animal Collective and Xiu Xiu make strange, quirky, noisey, eclectic indie-hipster-folk-rock. AC mostly make more happy, longer, atmospheric stuff, Xiu Xiu's songs are almost always under 4 minutes, sharp, snappy, painfully depressing and completely ridiculous at the same time.

OH YEAH if you like Autechre, you need to check out Steve Reich. A classical composer and one of the main proponents of minimalism, particularly the sort you're likely to hear in a lot of electronic music. get Phases, a 5 disc retrospective set, or at the very least, Music for 18 Musicians, again, an album that should be in everyone's music collection.

I also wanted to suggest or ask if people knew about the great guitarists Steve Vai or Joe Satriani?

Or even Yngwie J Malmsteen... or the bassist Jaco Pastorius..?

shit I've heard a lot of music for 22 years old.

I wouldn't really think of Vai, Satriani or Malmsteen as great guitarists. Sure they have a lot of technical talent but it's all just wanking.

Now, Fripp on the other hand..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8kcuqIqmIU

Archived