IGNORED

Other Music

Hugh Mughnus

Hey all,

I'm sure this topic has been done 1000 times and maybe I'm breaking the rules by making another one, not sure.

Just wanted to see what else you all listen to other than the featured artists on here. Obviously this will be a very broad topic...

I'm hoping to either get exposed to or expose others to some music they may not have heard yet.

Here are some of the things that are always on my playlist. I realize they are pretty much all from the same 6 record labels but oh well.

Also, if you follow any record labels other than Mu, Warp, Rephlex, Ninjatune, Thrill Jockey, or Brainfeeder I'd love to hear about them. I've heard a few things about Domino and Numbers but don't know what artists to jump into...

Amon Tobin

Xploding Plastix

Ceephax

V Snares

Wisp

OOO

Alec Empire

Aleksi Perala (including all his pseudonyms)

Ambulance

Bibio

Boxcutter

Bizzy B

Bjork

Blaerg

Bogdan Raczynski

Bonobo

Capitol K

Datach'i

DMX Krew

Dykehouse

Doormouse

Eskmo

Falty DL

The Flashbulb (yeah, poke fun guys lol)

Flying Lotus (Especially cosmogramma.. hey he said on his twitter he's finished his new LP? cosmogramma2?)

Four Tet

The Gasman

Hrvatski

Jega

Kid Koala

Kid 606

Kuedo

LFO

Macc & Dgohn (or both artists separately)

Mouse on Mars (parastrophics is out next week!!)

Neon Indian

Otto Von Schirach

Prefuse 73

Remarc

Rudi Zygadlo

Salem

Shitmat

Starkey

Submotion Orchestra

Terminal 11

Thundercat

Tim Exile

Tim Tetlow

Tipsy

Wisp

Cheers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't listen to a lot of electronic music anymore. Lately i've been obsessed with the following:

Textures

Eloy

a-ha

Nik Kershaw

Killing Joke

Models

Simple Minds

And some others that i can't seem to remember right now. Electronic music just doesn't impress me as much as it did 10 years ago :shrug:

ah, that's other music in new york, on 4th street, between broadway and...lafayette? i should remember that, as i go there pretty often.

I've really been into the following recently:

Andy Stott

Actress

Advisory Circle

Blawan

The Caretaker

Cooly G

Cupp Cave

Demdike Stare

Ekoplekz

Eric Copeland

Focus Group

Ford & Lopatin

Hype Williams

Ital

James Blake

James Ferraro (edit: at first I didn't feel like it worked in the electronic music listening trends, but if Eric Copeland's included, Ferraro works, and goddamn is he worth checking out - i.e. Lamborghini Crystal material, KFC Flush Pipe something or other, something about P.T. Crusier Theater...just everything. Sift out what you like—he's like a fucked up, processed version of low-brow american culture at its most beautiful and surreal. Also check out Spencer Clark/Vodka Soap/Monopoly Child Star Searchers)

Joy Orbison

Lone

Mono/Poly to some degree

Oneohtrix Point Never

Patten

Raime

Ras G

Ssaliva

...as far as different incantations of electronic music are concerned.

Trojan Records (dub, ska, etc)

Lee Scratch Perry

Early Mercury Rev (YrSelf is Steam esp)

Celtic Frost

Sisters of Mercy

50's rock and rolls (esp Chuck Berry)

Sonic Youth

Black Sabbath

System of a Down

Dylan

I got 1500 cd's/vinyl which I have collected for 22 years, so I could go on for a long time :biggrin:

The last 8 years I have been more and more into electronic music, whereas before that it was a bit of side-interest. I think I have listened to most genres, the only one I haven't explored fully is classical. And I don't do jazz lol.

Truth be told I don't really listen to the FAs much at all anymore, but I did dust off SAW85 the other day for the anniversary & it was still of a lush nature. some people I have been listening to regularly as of late (like, at least three times in the last 6 months, which for most musicians who aren't Jandek is a lot for me):

Beach Boys

Black Frames

Black Sabbath

Coppice Halifax

Depeche Mode

DOOM

Isaac Hayes

Jandek

Kraftwerk

Les Baxter

Mike Dillon

NASA Space Recordings

Nobukazu Takemura

Notorious BIG

Oingo Boingo

Oneohtrix Point Never

Takako Minekawa

Tangerine Dream

Tom Waits

Tonetta

Transmuteo

Wu Tang

If i indulged this thread, it would be my longest post ever. Let's put it this way, it'll take me a few years to relisten to all the music I'm really into. If music evolution stopped right now I'd still be set for life.

oh geez if i'd have known we were talking about non-electronic music too, my list would be infinitely longer—electronic music has dwindled down into a sliver of my total listening tastes. o well :happy:

If i indulged this thread, it would be my longest post ever. Let's put it this way, it'll take me a few years to relisten to all the music I'm really into. If music evolution stopped right now I'd still be set for life.

edit: sorry stephen

Why are you sorry?? :p

for not posting anything interesting

i see you realy dig the electronics so here is an album you might like, i do

phtalocyanine: no one said you didn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-wagcDENIg&feature=player_detailpage

Thx m8, I'll check it out with the rest of these suggestions!

Trojan Records (dub, ska, etc)

Lee Scratch Perry

Early Mercury Rev (YrSelf is Steam esp)

Celtic Frost

Sisters of Mercy

50's rock and rolls (esp Chuck Berry)

Sonic Youth

Black Sabbath

System of a Down

Dylan

I got 1500 cd's/vinyl which I have collected for 22 years, so I could go on for a long time :biggrin:

The last 8 years I have been more and more into electronic music, whereas before that it was a bit of side-interest. I think I have listened to most genres, the only one I haven't explored fully is classical. And I don't do jazz lol.

BeerBoss....

What is it that's drawing you more into the electronic music? IE technicality, change in lifestyle,listening just for the sake of different music... etc.

And when you say "you don't do jazz" do you mean freeform jazz or any jazz? I personally don't do freeform jazz I think it's a bunch of self indulgent wankerism. However other types of jazz I enjoy immensely... IE the coltranes, labeouf brothers, etc.... There is an immense amount of technicality, soul, and stories behind the music.

Not really following any record labels, but I've always been fond of Touch Music = http://www.touchmusic.org.uk/

check out:

Biosphere

Fennesz

Oren Ambarchi

Philip Jeck

BJ Nilsen

Any particular reason you are liking these lately? Gave em' a quick listen and I like what I hear, going to look into these more in depth later.

As an aside, I've also been listening to Jean Jacques Perrey circa 1968-1978.. and these crazy japanese techno/rock/pop ppl YMO (yellow magic orchestra) albeit more for entertainment value than critical listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-9B-1exjo

So powerful. These tracks really deserve their name.

Ah! I love me some merzbow, good choice.

As an aside, I've also been listening to Jean Jacques Perrey circa 1968-1978.. and these crazy japanese techno/rock/pop ppl YMO (yellow magic orchestra) albeit more for entertainment value than critical listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-9B-1exjo

So powerful. These tracks really deserve their name.

Ah! I love me some merzbow, good choice.

Yes, I was particularly impressed with that album - Merzbuddha. I haven't heard toomuch of Merzbow's stuff (well, he released so fucking much), but this album really made me treat Merzbow as one of the most important musicians ever. He is pushing noise to the maximum.

Archived