IGNORED

Unleash Your Headphones' True Potential

Joyrex

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have a pair of KRKs, through a Presonus audio interface, sound quality is amazing. Also, I can hook up my Allen and Heath XD53s through a 1/4" jack on the audio interface as well.

Omg that is beautiful, osc. How much you reckon he'd sell them for?

I dunno, it is very very nice though. I think the addition of a white LED is probably a bad thing though, unless he filed it down or attenuated the current going to it so it's not so bright - White LEDs seriously fry your fucking eyes out

hYgYql.jpg

Omg that is beautiful, osc. How much you reckon he'd sell them for?

I dunno, it is very very nice though. I think the addition of a white LED is probably a bad thing though, unless he filed it down or attenuated the current going to it so it's not so bright - White LEDs seriously fry your fucking eyes out

hYgYql.jpg

Any LEDs on computers/keyboards/mice, piss me off. Although we've got this wireless keyboard in the living room now that lights up underneath the keys when you get your hand near it. I have to admit that that is useful and not in the least distracting, as it turns off as soon as you move away/stop typing.

I have some midrange(?) headphones - AKG K450's and Etymotic HF5's which I listen with on my way to work and when at my desk. My PC at work has a really noisy onboard soundcard and so I bought this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-2-0-Audio-Adapter/dp/B000QY2G2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335191546&sr=8-1) which does the trick and I'm sure it's not a limiting factor, sound quality is fantastic.

you're amazing. If only i could have that kind of obsessive personality.

Just to clarify, that was a joke :cerious:

I would like those headphones, though. I think they're a beautiful design and they sound amazing (from the really brief audition I had with one years ago). The old Joe Grado headphones had a very different, very neutral sound signature compared to the newer (John) Grado headphones.

Sensibly AKG stopped selling these ones -

20090517-cphq3akf4aj8975cwch9w9kf2p.jpg

AKG K1000, the model before they came to their senses and made the 701s instead

They were pretty much just two speakers with a head rest thing to balance on your noggin...

Guest Promo

I've been thinking about getting that FIO amp for a while. May get it for my birthday as my headphone out is kinda buggered on my Ipod Touch.

Sensibly AKG stopped selling these ones -

20090517-cphq3akf4aj8975cwch9w9kf2p.jpg

AKG K1000, the model before they came to their senses and made the 701s instead

They were pretty much just two speakers with a head rest thing to balance on your noggin...

They're still more attractive than the Jecklin Floats

zvvkwg.jpg

IMG_0264_270x203.JPG

wait for it....

phones_float.jpg

But seriously... The Sennheiser Orpheus headphones...

66senn66.jpg

Only $40,000 USD >:)

http://www.stereophi...ones/index.html

Why are the cables out of both sides. Shouldn't all headphones have a single lead by now. So when you take them on and off all day, you don't get them caught on fking everything. Where the cables insert into the headphone looks flimsy too. $40,000 really? Sennheiser really are a rip these days. Senn(their.reputation)lower.

At least it doesn't make them broken !! I mean it's not like they bother connecting heavy duty cables into your cans.

I'm not trying to be a cunt here, but... you're able to tell how heavy duty something is from a really shoddily compressed low resolution jpg?

66senn66.jpg

Only $40,000 USD

if anyone has any material recorded in such a fidelity to warrant $40k I'd like to know about it

seriously these will be $4k worth of over engineered parts at best with 1000% markup for millionaires just so they can say they have the worlds best headphones to the rest if their rich buddies

phones_float.jpg

i do like these tho B-)

But seriously... The Sennheiser Orpheus headphones...

66senn66.jpg

Only $40,000 USD >:)

http://www.stereophi...ones/index.html

Why are the cables out of both sides. Shouldn't all headphones have a single lead by now. So when you take them on and off all day, you don't get them caught on fking everything. Where the cables insert into the headphone looks flimsy too. $40,000 really? Sennheiser really are a rip these days. Senn(their.reputation)lower.

The cables on the HD600s or HD650s look like this:

hd650_600_01.jpg

Those inserts aren't flimsy. They're pretty solid, but they're also detachable. Unlike a single entry cable, they do not have to run from one ear cup up through the headband to the other ear cup. These aren't "DJ" headphones where you're flinging them off every 30 seconds. It seems like a pretty reasonable, and in some ways preferable, design decision to me. Note that this way also allows for easy cable replacement if the cable fails.

Anyway, after about 5 years of heavy use, I've had no problems with the cables or the connection on my HD650s.

You can get the HD600s or 650s for fucking cheap now, by the way, and they're excellent, extremely well-regarded headphones that will last years and scale well with whatever you have in your system.

The Orpheus headphones were never a main production headphone. There was also a cheaper "Baby Orpheus" model, IIRC, for a couple grand. Both were limited. It was really just R/D that Sennheiser decided to sell to the batshit insane audiophile enthusiast upper crust. Why not? There were serious reviews claiming the Orpheus to be the best headphone ever made at the time of release (a long time ago, by the way), which earned some extra mindshare for Sennheiser and allowed them to compete with Stax's electrostatic headphones (the Orpheus is an electrostatic, too), which were regarded as the "best" in 1991, when these came out. Again, 1991.\

The Orpheus headphones were never a main production headphone. There was also a cheaper "Baby Orpheus" model, IIRC, for a couple grand. Both were limited. It was really just R/D that Sennheiser decided to sell to the batshit insane audiophile enthusiast upper crust. Why not? There were serious reviews claiming the Orpheus to be the best headphone ever made at the time of release (a long time ago, by the way), which earned some extra mindshare for Sennheiser and allowed them to compete with Stax's electrostatic headphones (the Orpheus is an electrostatic, too), which were regarded as the "best" in 1991, when these came out. Again, 1991.\

The Orpheus headphones came out in 1991? So what would be the uncompromising audiophile wank headphone these days then?

Archived