IGNORED

your funeral songs

J3FF3R00

your funeral songs  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want played at your funeral?

• Music played
    • nothing... silence
    • live band

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be dead, so I wouldn't care what gets played at my funeral.

I'd like to continue pushing the music I like on to others even after I'm dead.

I want Vordhosbn because I think it's the pinnacle of music, but I know my brother would try to suggest Rhubarb because 'people won't like that'. Just play Vordhosbn, listen to it till the end, then everyone go home. Those who stay can have cake and Ziggomatic 17.

Currently, my plan is to have 'Dance no. 4' by Philip Glass. I chose live band from the poll because I want it to be performed live on an organ.

If this is not possible, this recording of the piece should be played on good speakers. This is from 'Dance nos. 1-5' on Sony records.

Of course, I may change my mind at some point. Here are some other good choices:

One of my own compositions - a 40 minute piece in which the first 30 seconds are a beautiful piano solo & the rest is a spoken word rant about bears laid over a loop of ska

Boards of Canada's Dayvan Cowboy and Radiohead's Pyramid Song will be played at my funeral... there are others but those 2 are mandatory for me. I think instead of grieving and such at my funeral I'd really just rather have people come discuss happier memories of me and listen to some of my favorite songs.

Guest carthief

Most recently, when I was in a destructive/euphoric phase and was recently left by a girl, I was sure this was perfect:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruBbkgAE7sM[/media]

The thing is, though, I don't want a funeral at all, definitely not a wake, but at the time, and still a little now, it just kind of captured everything I felt, and it felt like it would be a nice "goodbye," and a last insight into who I was, and what I might become.

• 2 weeks later...

Aphex Twin - Stone in Focus

I've actually thought if there will be music in my head as I'm dying it would be Stone In Focus, or something similar (Eno's An Ending [Ascent], Autechre's Vletrmx21) I've thought of having Alberto Baslam played at my funeral, as a few others have it appears.

Quadrant 3 by Harmonic 313 (sorrz no youtubes available), such a simple / beautiful / moving track.

If I was terminally ill I'd probably try to commission Mark to make a beatless version.

Good choice, I always cranked up the volume during the last part of the track, when the beats fade off. Could listen to that forever.

I have no idea what kind of funeral or ceremony I might have, but I want it to be personal. My wife and I have discussed it a couple times before, so I've always had a couple tracks in mind and she has as well. This thread reminds me of my great grandfather's funeral. I had no idea he loved the song "Aloha 'Oe" so much until that day, and when I heard it played during his funeral service it was quite moving.

I'm afraid the topic is too personal for me to share my choices for now, but I will mention one song that's quite relevent to the thread. I've been under the impression that this has been played a lot a funerals, but I wouldn't mind it being played at mine at all. It's more bittersweet and upbeat than many other songs I've seen here (and would use myself) The lyrics are perfect - in just the right amount of words Wayne Coyne sings about how you and everyone you know will be gone at some point, but the universe was here before you and will remain there after. I can take comfort in that thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYOKFjpm9s

• 3 years later...

I would be dead, so I wouldn't care what gets played at my funeral.

I'd also like to add that there would most likely not be anyone at my funeral. I dunno what exactly happens to those that don't belong to the church and have no relatives or friends to look after their affairs. But then again I am dead,lol.

Guest Chesney

Ah nice thread. I have always said (to wife) that this will be my funeral song. i'll be cremated and there won't be a curtain, i'd like the "audience" to see me wheeled, dragged, or whatever to the burner but stop on the little breaks in the song the coffin stops and then starts to come back when the tune starts again. If I have to have a curtain then the curtain would close then reopen when the tunes kicks back in. EVERY TIME!

Archived