IGNORED

Bleep - A Guide to Electronic Music

QBLA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something with Charanjit Singh?

I think most of the hype boils down to OMG PREHISTORIC ACID because he used a 303 before it was cool

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. It's quite embarassing really, the album to me is cringeworthy and he seems clueless in interviews. I bet he can't believe his luck!

I'm with you - would much rather hear ragas done with traditional instrumentation.

Guest sirch

Good guide to get people into electronic music I suppose. Although no Tangerine Dream and no Kraftwerk (regardless of how neat Bruce Haack was) seem like kind of major misses?

LOL, seriously??????????

a guide to electronic music without Kraftwerk... :lol:

yeah, won't be getting this!

Guest sirch
Yeah, but I'd be seriously interested to see what the WATMM collective could come up with.

every track would be from the early 90s

no. the mid-late 90's. get it right. hahaha :wink:

Guest sirch
Scottish duo, Boards of Canada, release their timeless debut on Warp Records and Skam. ‘Music Deserves The Right To Children’ receives rave reviews throughout the international music press - sparse melodies, analogue synthesizers and fragmented speech set the blueprint for one of electronic music’s best loved groups. ""Roygbiv” is an acronym for the sequence of hues in a rainbow. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green Blue, Indigo ,Violet).

:facepalm:

^ that just goes to show - warp these days/who they're employing/why they're putting out what they put out.

Definitely some major omissions... No Wendy Carlos or Steve Reich? I guess at least they got Xenakis, Stockhausen, Perry and Cage in there, but yeah the list seems to fall flat on a few things. No Kraftwerk? No 90's big beat artists? (love it or hate it that shit blew up and helped open a lot more people up to electronic music).

I think most of the hype boils down to OMG PREHISTORIC ACID because he used a 303 before it was cool

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. It's quite embarassing really, the album to me is cringeworthy and he seems clueless in interviews. I bet he can't believe his luck!

I'm with you - would much rather hear ragas done with traditional instrumentation.

i agree as well when looking at this as a raga record. but as an acid record i can see why people dig it.

Likely that Kraftwerk didn't allow one of their tracks to be used. I think Georgio Moroder should be on there too.

Did you steal my ava bro???

Haha!! No... I noticed that after I'd updated my profile. Ya know what, you've been on here longer than me I'm gonna change mine.

Likely that Kraftwerk didn't allow one of their tracks to be used. I think Georgio Moroder should be on there too.

Haha!! No... I noticed that after I'd updated my profile. Ya know what, you've been on here longer than me I'm gonna change mine.

Cool!

it's hipster bullshit

it's hipster bullshit

The inclusion of it is hipster bullshit. Intresting story and it sounds neat (imo) but it shouldn't be on the list. It's not important nor influencial, it's a historical curiousity. There are plenty of other examples of this, even beyond the realm of music. The ease of documenting and sharing such things produces all sorts of neat but inconsequential discoveries. At the most superficial it's "hey look American Civil War soldiers that look like Hollywood actors!" and at it's most sincere it's records like this.

If the internet wasn't around, a few people would know of it and maybe one would actually realize the 303 usage was unintentionally ahead of it's time. This album wouldn't even be on the list if it was made 5 years ago. This century has made almost everything in existence impossible to forget in some form or another. The rest of human history is surely full of far more significant losses of knowledge and artifacts in the past.

Cool!

Think its still gonna have to be Drexciya though! :)

Guest sirch

don't buy this. buy some food/drink instead.

it's ridiculous, the idea that people might pay for all these old tracks. you're a fucking idiot if you buy this.

it's ridiculous, the idea that people might pay for all these old tracks. you're a fucking idiot if you buy this.

hey man not everyone knows who aphex twin is or where he lives

lol

I think thats a little cynical. You mean because you can download all these?? For free?? (and ILLEGALLY)!!

Some young dude getting into electronic music might wanna buy this to educate him/herself. I might not buy this now coz I've got a lot of the tracks anyway, but I would have bought this when I was a teenager, & I would have got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I like the Sub Rosa a-chronology comps (or whatever they call them) for the tape/avant/concrete stuff and then of course for house and techno there's a million comps you could try. So yes, don’t buy this.

Archived