IGNORED

Raime - Quarter Turns Over A Living Line

Redruth

R0ZiO.jpg

"London duo Raime aren’t the most prolific – in two years they’ve released just one EP and two 12″ singles exploring the interzone between jungle, techno, industrial and gothic post-punk – but the richness of detail in their productions to date suggests that the wait for their debut album will have been worth it. More release info coming soon, album expected for autumn."

http://clone.nl/item24494.html

http://blackesteverblack.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Am I the only one who doesn't get all this Raime hype? I mean, I like ultra-dark, slowed down industrial-style music + dub slugs, but I've yet to hear a Raime track that I can actually remember once it's finished. It may actually be because the percussion is more buried in this, whereas someone like Vatican Shadow brings it more to the front of the mix and keeps things a bit more interesting for my ears. Raime reminds me of the industrial ambient parts of Silent Hill. Not a bad thing, just a little bit.... hmmmm for me.

for some its probably dark dark twisted etc if theyve never been exposed to seriously dark music outside

of well known ambient, techno, industrial etc. its dark but not necessarily mindblowing to my ears. theres tons of

dark stuff here http://www.coldmeat.se and tons more out there. this is ok but theres tons more out there.

same with Young Hunting, Blood Axis on cold meat = i've heard it all before. nice try and good attempt but its been done. next.

yes Vatican Shadow keeps me interested too, though the modern love release is poor, the 3lp on hosptial due soon

from the cassettes most of us have heard already is bang on target.

Am I the only one who doesn't get all this Raime hype? I mean, I like ultra-dark, slowed down industrial-style music + dub slugs, but I've yet to hear a Raime track that I can actually remember once it's finished. It may actually be because the percussion is more buried in this, whereas someone like Vatican Shadow brings it more to the front of the mix and keeps things a bit more interesting for my ears. Raime reminds me of the industrial ambient parts of Silent Hill. Not a bad thing, just a little bit.... hmmmm for me.

Nope you're not, i think a lot of people maybe haven't realized or have forgotten that Raime became extremely popular after Aphex Twin name dropped him in a recent interview. Sure Aphex thinks it's awesome, but he doesn't always have great taste in music (Oasis anyone?). I think it's better than most dubsteppy music for sure, but like almost all dubsteppy music it doesn't leave me with much after I'm done listening to it. Modern Love and their buddies Blackest Black Ever to me take the industrial spirit, water it down but market it as if it has the same edginess of truly industrial music. Case in point, compare Vatican Shadow to Muslimgauze or compare Demdike Stare to Contagious Orgasm. It sounds similar, with the same ingredients but the recent 4th wave of industrial stuff off Boomkat's labels just doesnt cohere or have the same philosophy embedded in it. It's 'dark' music for clubs, not dark music that gives you nightmares or makes you think. It acts more of an immediate form of bassy tactile pleasure which makes sense. Contagious orgasm and Muslimgauze are not mixed/mastered for clubs, so unless you like to be challenged with your 'darkness', that music isn't really for you. If you go to dance clubs a lot and listen to a lot of bass heavy music, Boomkat's platter is a lot more palatable to the average electronic music listener. The only thing that bugs me out of all of this is that Boomkat seems to project this really knowledgeable vibe in their descriptions, but i think it's taxidermic. They rarely ever mention things they DO NOT stock. Take notice of this and prove me wrong if you like but its true. Most of the music on their label is trying to evoke and ride upon the 'post industrial' sound of the mid to late 80s of acts like Zoviet France or Contagious ORgasm... so will they likely mention them when comparing their label's stuff in a list of seemingly obscure comparisons? very unlikely

On a positive note, one of their newest features for the debut LP of Holly Herndon is very true to proper dark and challenging industrial tinged music. If anyone finds Raime, Vatican Shadow and the like too bland but like the spirit behind it, check out Holly Herndon. It seriously kicks ass.

http://boomkat.com/d...erndon-movement

Guest Lucy Faringold

Raime are way over-hyped but they were over-hyped before Aphex got anywhere near them.

I found that Holly Herndon record to be completely sterile btw

I'm well aware of "dark music" and I think Raime delivers. But then I've been on a long kick of Surgeon, Regis, Female, et al. Raime is great comedown music for the club in my head that play all this stuff...

Try late night biking to it on barren streets...Perfect...

I heard some EP and another track of theirs a while ago and found it quite boring. The lp however is a pleasant surprise. They show a certain level of care and control and it gets a very filmic/soundtrack-like quality. Narrowing it down to "dark" or "wannabe post industrial" is quite a shallow approach to listen to it I think.

The way I'm following the thread here, their music may be marketed as such (I mean probably those aspects of the music are the "selling points"?), but I feel the actual listening experience, without context of the label or entourage or whatever, the record does have a little bit more going for it.

Nope you're not, i think a lot of people maybe haven't realized or have forgotten that Raime became extremely popular after Aphex Twin name dropped him in a recent interview. Sure Aphex thinks it's awesome, but he doesn't always have great taste in music (Oasis anyone?). I think it's better than most dubsteppy music for sure, but like almost all dubsteppy music it doesn't leave me with much after I'm done listening to it. Modern Love and their buddies Blackest Black Ever to me take the industrial spirit, water it down but market it as if it has the same edginess of truly industrial music. Case in point, compare Vatican Shadow to Muslimgauze or compare Demdike Stare to Contagious Orgasm. It sounds similar, with the same ingredients but the recent 4th wave of industrial stuff off Boomkat's labels just doesnt cohere or have the same philosophy embedded in it. It's 'dark' music for clubs, not dark music that gives you nightmares or makes you think. It acts more of an immediate form of bassy tactile pleasure which makes sense. Contagious orgasm and Muslimgauze are not mixed/mastered for clubs, so unless you like to be challenged with your 'darkness', that music isn't really for you. If you go to dance clubs a lot and listen to a lot of bass heavy music, Boomkat's platter is a lot more palatable to the average electronic music listener. The only thing that bugs me out of all of this is that Boomkat seems to project this really knowledgeable vibe in their descriptions, but i think it's taxidermic. They rarely ever mention things they DO NOT stock. Take notice of this and prove me wrong if you like but its true. Most of the music on their label is trying to evoke and ride upon the 'post industrial' sound of the mid to late 80s of acts like Zoviet France or Contagious ORgasm... so will they likely mention them when comparing their label's stuff in a list of seemingly obscure comparisons? very unlikely

On a positive note, one of their newest features for the debut LP of Holly Herndon is very true to proper dark and challenging industrial tinged music. If anyone finds Raime, Vatican Shadow and the like too bland but like the spirit behind it, check out Holly Herndon. It seriously kicks ass.

http://boomkat.com/d...erndon-movement

Fun fact : The name 'blackest ever black' was taken/stolen/inspired by a festival (totally unrelated to the label) that Matt Dryhurst (holly's husband) put on in Europe a while back.

I just discovered her music a week ago. It is amazing! And she sure is one striking looking lass too.

HOLLY_HERNDON-web.jpg

/end derail

Guest primusluta

Honestly I'd put the Raime EP's on the backburner. They weren't bad but nothing hit me as must listen. Going to revisit before deciding whether I need to engage with the LP. Unless someone wants to convince me it's a must.

Archived