IGNORED

William Basinski - Disintegration Loops

Guest kyriakos

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdo1YVZRUrM

Is it me, or is this new remaster a lot more clear than the original releases? Usually I can't hear the difference between most originals and remasters, but with this one, I certainly can. sounds totally different.

It does sound completely different!

• 3 months later...

still a BIT expensive. but tasty

300 pounds for the vinyls, CDs, DVD, and a book - yeah, that is absolutely ridiculous! I'm going to listen to the samples on Boomkat and figure out which one I like the best and then buy it as a digital release.

great music but you'd have to be a moron or a wanker to buy this.

yep or a boc fan, they did name drop him afterall... soooo it must be good or is it? no, its not. don't believe the hype.

"attempts to salvage earlier recordings made on magnetic tape, by transferring them into digital format; however, the tape had physically deteriorated to the point that, as it passed by the Tape Head, the ferrite detached from the plastic backing and fell off."

wow, really mindblowing stuff :/ £300 hahahahaha for this crap???

yep or a boc fan, they did name drop him afterall... soooo it must be good or is it? no, its not. don't believe the hype.

"attempts to salvage earlier recordings made on magnetic tape, by transferring them into digital format; however, the tape had physically deteriorated to the point that, as it passed by the Tape Head, the ferrite detached from the plastic backing and fell off."

All my previous bullshit aside I actually like the story behind this/these release/releases. Radiolab did a really interesting podcast about loops where William Basinski talks about these recordings. Even if you don't like the music or the fact that the full release costs a billion pounds you will without a doubt find something of interest in this podcast:

http://www.radiolab.org/2011/oct/04/

Thank jebus no one is forcing you to buy anything then.

I was gonna like this, but your insight steered my right.

Thank you, random angry teenager, for illuminating the matter.

tell me, whats good about this? because its William Basinski? he's around for years and people speak about him? lots of releases etc. dont worry about feeling you're missing something if you don't get it or

your friends will think you're not cool for school. the reason you don't get it is because theres nothing to get from this.

its boring, if you like to be bored then enjoy your boring time with this. its also very depressingly boring, dreary, fall asleep, forget

what i just heard boring. ah yea great music that, timeless in fact.

if this just came out as some 'new artist' you would NOT buy it and don't say you would, even if they tried to sell it to you as their 'album of the week'.

it may be all fine using stuff like this on parts of a record or within another piece of a track but as full tracks, all 10, 20 of them? enjoy your sleep. when you wake up, try to think for yourself and not believe what others try to tell you is 'essential'. this is not, you don't need it.

Guest Lucy Faringold

tell me, whats good about this? because its William Basinski? he's around for years and people speak about him? lots of releases etc. dont worry about feeling you're missing something if you don't get it or

your friends will think you're not cool for school. the reason you don't get it is because theres nothing to get from this.

its boring, if you like to be bored then enjoy your boring time with this. its also very depressingly boring, dreary, fall asleep, forget

what i just heard boring. ah yea great music that, timeless in fact.

if this just came out as some 'new artist' you would NOT buy it and don't say you would, even if they tried to sell it to you as their 'album of the week'.

it may be all fine using stuff like this on parts of a record or within another piece of a track but as full tracks, all 10, 20 of them? enjoy your sleep. when you wake up, try to think for yourself and not believe what others try to tell you is 'essential'. this is not, you don't need it.

Dude, quit stinking up every thread you post in.

your comments are nonsensical.

pretty sure people like this because it moves them, it's beautiful, intriguing, inspiring, or whatever other reasons people like music. basically, because it's fucking lush!

you can rattle on about "timeless" "album of the week" "he's around for years" or what the fuck ever you're blathering about but it's completely irrelevant. it's fine if you think it's boring but get off your high horse mate.

anyway, $225 for 9LPs, 5CDs, a DVD and a book is not expensive.

edit: @ zupiclone obv

i still lol everytime i read the story about him doing this on 9/11 while watching the towers collapsing. It's a wonderful piece of experimental music folklore, worthy of reaching the greatness of the supposedly outlandish Coum Transmission performances that no one ever filmed or photographed.

I love William Basinski but this release is waaaaay too rich for my tastes. I've got the 4x Disintegration Loops as a digital purchase from boomkat for 30 quid, I've seen the live performance of the first CD for less than 20 quid. That'll do me.

(though I would like the DVD)

Archived