IGNORED

The track that got you into them

Dragon

ITT:

-The artist name

-The track or album that got you into that artist

-How you found that track/album

List as many artists as you want. You may also like to mention your current favourite by that artist, or your opinion of said track over time.

I'm gonna do quite a few. Here we go...

Aphex Twin - SAW2

Several tracks were used in Jam and Blue Jam by Chris Morris. It was On and SAW85-92 that got me hooked...

Autechre - Amber and Confield

I'd heard loads of praise for Ae after joining these forums, and I figured they must be good. I got Incunabula first, but it was these two that properly got me into them. Some of their light, some of their heavy.

BoC - Beware the Friendly Stranger

Salad Fingers. Turns out these guys make awesome music.

Plaid - Rakimou

Heard on the second episode of Blue Jam. The album really is as beautiful as this track makes it sound.

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi

This goes all the way back to 2000. After seeing the film and being moved to tears, I decided I should hear more of his music. It wasn't until I rented 'Einstein on the Beach' from the local library that I realised he was a musical genius.

Note - This was the first time I had ever heard music by an artist, and decided to explore their discography.

Beck - Devil's Haircut/Where It's At

My mum owned Odelay on CD, back when I was little, and these where the tracks listened to the most. Soon after I started my digital music collection, I got loads more of his albums.

Air - Sexy Boy

God how I love this track. When I finally got Moon Safari, I found I recognised many other tracks on the album, too.

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy

I wanted to get into SP, and I heard a lot of buzz over Beep Street and Vic Acid. Both awesome tracks, but I think Papalon is my main reason for holding this album as my favourite to this day.

Bonobo - Sleepy Seven

I was undecided on whether or not I wanted to get into Bonobo, but after hearing this track my mind was made up. Now I have a deep, personal connection to it, and as a result I just can't face hearing it. The rest of the album is good though.

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

Pretty much the perfect introduction to a minimal mastermind. Seriously, if you want to get into minimalism, but don't know where to start, just try this.

Oval - Do While

This was recommended on WATMM! Someone responded to my thread about hypnotic music, and now Oval is one of my favourite musicians. Some of his other tracks have moved me to tears. I'm working on the theory that he has Bipolar, which I can relate to.

Locust Toybox - Inkbrush

I just decided to check him out, and got hooked from there. His latest album Noon is well worth listening to. Locust Toybox releases all his music for free.

Mercury Rev - Tonite It Shows

When this track was used in Series 3 of Blue Jam, I was absolutely blown away. Deserter's Songs now stands as one of my all-time favourite albums.

All done. Your turn.

Oooh this is fun... let's see what I can remember

Aphex - SAW 85-92

don't remember what got me to listen to it but it was an amazing journey

akira yamaoka - SH2 OST

Playing SH games obviously but his music is great

Seefeel - Quique

AFX's remix made me aware. Awesome band

i may list more later

Aphex Twin-4

Bonobo-Terrapin

Steve Roach-Reflections in Suspension

Boards of Canada-Everything you do is a Balloon

Clark-Ted

Luke Vibert-Treats in the Street

Squarepusher-Tomorrow World

Philip Glass-Part 1 (Music in 12 Parts)

Brian Eno- 1/2

Kettel- Stair Witch Study

Earth- Father Midnight

The Chemical Brothers-The Test

Autechre- C/Pach

The Orb-Toxygene (this actually made me find stuff like the Aphex)

Plaid-Itsu

OPN- Laser to Laser

Harold Budd- Their Memories

and a lot more

and I don't remember how I found them

OPN - Betrayed in the Octagon

I was hanging out with a friend in Taiwan, chatting with a friend in America and he showed me this. The very next day I found Rifts at a record store and bought it. Ace album.

Amon Tobin - Four Ton Mantis and At the End of the Day

iTunes used to have a playlist ("essentials" as they called their playlists) for experimental electronica which had Four Ton Mantis on it, as well as a bunch of other IDM style stuff ranging from AFX to Kit Clayton to Taylor Deupree. This was sort of the start of all the music I listen to actually.

Death Grips - Takyon and Spread Eagle Cross the Block

I think the same friend that showed me OPN showed me Death Grips. Anyway, I didn't listen to them much at first, but these were the first tracks that I actually listened to and the rest of the album followed. I think. Maybe not. Regardless, they're my favorite band now.

My mum owned Odelay on CD, back when I was little, and these where the tracks listened to the most. Soon after I started my digital music collection, I got loads more of his albums.

My story is almost word for word the same as yours, mom and tracks and all.

My story is almost word for word the same as yours, mom and tracks and all.

now that i think of it i have the same story, no kidding

Oval - Do While

This was recommended on WATMM! Someone responded to my thread about hypnotic music, and now Oval is one of my favourite musicians. Some of his other tracks have moved me to tears. I'm working on the theory that he has Bipolar, which I can relate to..

I don't want to derail the thread but i'm curious what your other favorite oval tracks are? have you checked out szenariodisk? my holy oval trifecta is 94 diskont, szenariodisk, and ovalcommers. also your bipolar theory is interesting. you might appreciate this interview with Frank Metzger (who was in Oval along with Popp Sebastian Oschatz before they split up in 1995). Metzger basically says that Popp kicked them out of Oval:

"Strictly speaking, neither Sebastian nor I actually "left" oval. In the summer of 95, it became clear that Markus had very different goals for oval than I did. Increasingly, he wanted to professionalize oval.

For him, it was no longer so much about the music, and the fun that went along with it, than it was about strategical condsiderations and marketing. I wrote a letter to Markus regarding this, which he has not answered to this day.

With Sebastion, the situation was similar. He saw on the television that he was no longer an oval member. In a piece on the Japanese tour of mouse on mars/microstoria/oval that was broadcast by the German music television station VIVA, there was a subtitle in a video clip of one of the oval pieces, which read: "This video was generated on the computer by Markus Popp and ex-oval member Sebastian Oschatz." It’s pretty likely that Markus was responsible for this subtitle. And Sebastian also no longer has any kind of contact with Markus."

Popp is obviously a musical genius all on his own and I don't want to speculate any more on his personality issues, just thought this was worth sharing with oval fans.

http://www.meso.net/oval/metzger.html

Guest ChrisUpLate

Just a few of the many I worship

Was listening to the Daft Punk Digital Decks compilation and heard this oldschool gemtastic track and have been meaning to buy it from discogs ever since

Read an interview about a DJ talking about his favorite tracks. Delicious minimal techno. Went out and bought Mas O Menos 12" and Dim Dim on Juno the next day.

Aphex Twin - Curtains &

Was really just after something different and at the time I had just started using last.fm and I was listening to the ambient tag station, heard Curtains and immediately loved it. Then naturally I started listening through his discography.

These are a little bit boring. And show that my musical tastes are mostly from the 90s..

Aphex Twin - On

Saw the video first but I think hearing his live set from radio was the turning point.

The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds

Saw the video. Though my first purchase was U.F.Orb. I was a rather big Orb fan until The Dream..

FSOL - Papua New Guinea

After hearing this I bought the Accelerator which was like the second or third CD I have ever bought.

Autechre - Basscadet

It's the first track I heard anyway, but it took a couple of years until I downloaded the whole Incunabula and it just blew my mind and I have been Ae fan since then. I think rec.music.ambient or some such is to blame.

Boards of Canada - MHTRC

Just went to a record store and bought this without listening first.. Turned out to be good.

Biosphere - Cirque

This was the first album I bought. Can't remember why though? Anyway, became Biosphere fan instantly.

Team Doyobi - The Kphanapic Fragments.

Bought this from Bleep, but this took like a two years to sink in until I finally understood it's brilliance. Then became a TD fan.

Dead Can Dance - Yulunga

Saw the video.

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

I have no memories how I heard of him first but I am guessing from a friend of mine.

Luke Vibert - Lover's Acid

I had heard him before but this was the album that hooked me.

Oval - Do While

This was recommended on WATMM! Someone responded to my thread about hypnotic music, and now Oval is one of my favourite musicians. Some of his other tracks have moved me to tears. I'm working on the theory that he has Bipolar, which I can relate to..

I don't want to derail the thread but i'm curious what your other favorite oval tracks are? have you checked out szenariodisk? my holy oval trifecta is 94 diskont, szenariodisk, and ovalcommers. also your bipolar theory is interesting. you might appreciate this interview with Frank Metzger (who was in Oval along with Popp Sebastian Oschatz before they split up in 1995). Metzger basically says that Popp kicked them out of Oval

Yeah, I really got into Oval. My favourites:

Oval Office (from Systemich)

Cross Selling (from 94diskont)

Motif (from Szenariodisk)

Ovalprocess track 10

Ovalcommers tracks 1 and 3

Plus a bunch of O tracks, I don't know their names.

I'd love to discuss this more, so I'm gonna start an Oval thread :music:

Guest jasondonervan

- Boards of Canada

- MHTRTC

- Back when I used to buy the NME, I remember reading a tiny write-up of the album which talked up the whole nostalgia thing, and how it had short tracks that sounded like old intros/outros for tv shows (really). Went to my local indie record shop the next day and there it was, top recommendation on the listening post and just released that day.

- Oneohtrix Point Never

- Rifts

- Someone on a forum (not watmm) posted up a link to some clips of it, and said they thought it was shit. I took a listen and fell in love with all of it.

May have a go at some more later

This is fun. Here's some more:

Stereolab - Dots and Loops

Loaned from local library.

Hallucinogen - Shamanix

Bought the Yellow LP compilation from a bargain bin in local Supermarket.. Using this same approach I have also found Lucky People Center, Spring Heel Jack, jungle music, etc.. The price was around 2-3 euros per CD if I remember correctly.

HAZARD - Meteosat & Fennesz - C-Street

Both were on a split EP called Light with Biosphere.

Panasonic/Pan Sonic - Urania

If you were paying any attention to underground electronic music in Finland in the 90s you could not avoid hearing about Pan Sonic. So I can't remember where I heard this first.

Ovuca - Live Set

Saw him live around 2001 or something like that in a festival. Went to buy Wasted Sunday the following day.

Pink Floyd - Probably Wish You Were Here

My friend's father was a Pink Floyd fan.

The Black Dog & µ-ziq - I can't remember the track names.

Both were on a Future Music magazine companion CD in 1996.. I think I have this CD stashed someplace.

System 7 - System Express

I had a vague idea that System 7 was somehow related to the Orb so I bought this when I saw it in a record store.

Vladislav Delay - Entain

Downloaded this from some FTP site in 2000 or something where I went to get Orb bootlegs. Also I think I got Monolake's Hongkong from the same place along with some other stuff.

Asmus Tietchens - Alpha Menge ::

While I was using an library internet access before we got home wlan I was browsing the allmusic webpage. I got some recommendations and that album was along them. After streaming some excerpts from the album I instantly ordered it via amazon.

Years later I met Asmus and we see us sometimes. His live concerts are ace for friends of very minimal electroacoustics.

BOC - The Campfire Headphase ::

In the past, my best friend and I used to listen to some radio stations (analogue) in his flat. We are both big fans of Funkhaus Europa (Radio station Europe) and they played first some balkan tracks before they played the Chromakey Dreamcoat track. I never heard BOC before but I was instantly moved by the intro of the track.

Two Lone Swordsmen - Peppered With Spastic Magic ::

I visited an old record store and they displayed some pretty weak indie albums in their windows. Along them they had this album on display and I felt a bit catched visually. I bought this album for the design and the really nice innersleeve only. I have not even made a pre-listen and since today, this is my favourite remix album. But trust me this method had not worked all time properly.

Mark Stewart - Mark Stewart ::

A sadly passed away friend of mine had an amazing record collection. He showed me once his most valuable CD, the Mark Stewart selftitled work on Mute. I do not remember well how I was feeling about the album when i heard it first time but that cover and the evening got stuck in my mind until I remembered it finally again after his death. I asked his son if I can get the CD for sentimental reasons. It's pretty oldschool in dub but an instant classic. I love the theme he used for one song on it, directly lifted from an Billy Idol record!

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King ::

When I got an recommendation for KC's "Poseidon" album I was actually pretty bored. I was not interested into rock music and gave the album back without a proper listen. When my friend came up with a worn out tape copy of the debut, lifted from a 3rd generation tape copy as well with a lot of hissing, the magic unfolded. We listened to it several times and since he feared one day the tape would spill it's guts out, I digitalized the tape to CD. We had some pretty evenings with crackers and wine listening to it and I remember the days when I came across "Moonchild" each time.

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

did see it on TV and recored it to VHS to watch it again and again

Autechre - Incunabula LP

got this from a friend and the whole thing sounded so much better than everything that I knew before

Boards of Canada - Kid For Today on 33 RPM. This track was a special secret track for me that I did not show anybody else for years and only listend to at night when I couldn't find sleep[

The Black Dog - Music For Real Airports

took me really long to get into The Black Dog but Music For Real Airports made a difference listening to it on holidays while sleeping in a tent on the beach

Guest jasondonervan

- DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

- Headz compilations

- Aphex Twin: everything pre-Drukqs

- Autechre: everything pre-EP7

- Squarepusher: everything pre-Music Is Rotted One Note

- Luke Vibert - Big Soup

My mate Rich (no, not that one) would get sent tons of tapes from his sister's boyfriend at the time, both of whom were away at university around 96-97. That guy had great taste, and put us on to a whole new world of music. We would spend many nights driving around (newly acquired driving licenses = shitty first cars for all), hoovering up all the weird and wonderful sounds from Warp and Mo Wax (mainly).

Guest dilbthelame

death in vegas - aisha

heard this on radio 1 while playing pokemon on the gameboy. instantly became my favourite track of all time and still is. iggy pop talking about being a murderer. love it.

nas - halftime

with more kicks than a baby in her mother's stomach. now i rap in front of more niggas than on the slave ships. cuz i'm as ill as a convict who kills for phone time. when it's time to go i'll wait for god with the fo-fo

ghostface killah - one

the second verse. couldn't believe how long he kept rapping on a single breath. fucking awesome and cemented him as my favourite wutang'er.... until i heard liquid swords

aphex - polynomial-c.

wisp - on the rails.

heard it in the dark when high as fuck, was perfection.

Boards of Canada - Alpha and Omega and Roygbiv

Aphex Twin - Tassles/Come To Daddy

Squarepusher - Come On My Selector

Autechre - Dael

Flying Lotus - Beginners Falafel

MF Doom - Accordian

Prefuse 73 - Point to B

Amon Tobin - Back From Space

Meat Beat Manifesto - Prime Audio Soup

Clark - Indigo Optimus

All my best are in the 90s.

NIN - Wish ... I heard this playing in a record store when it first came out. I was about 12 or 13. I sat and listened to the whole album play in the store. At the end, the CD skipped ahead 90 tracks to the 2 "hidden" songs and my mind was fully blown. I bought that shit immediately.

Frank Black - Los Angeles ... I saw the video late night durring a sleep-over on 120 Minutes, back when MTV showed music videos (Remember that?) and I flipped the fuck out. Then I soon found out that he was also the lead singer of The Pixies, which I knew because of the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack, which I already owned... which I bought, specifically for the Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf).

Danzig - Her Black Wings ... I heard this on Headbanger's Ball one night, while sleeping over at the same friend's house. Needles to say, I flipped out. I bought the CD the next day and my mom made me return it because the insert folded out into an upside-down cross shape. I bought it again the following day on cassette.

Aphex Twin - On ... this lead me to the first"Artificial Intelligence" comp, which lead to everything else in that universe.

Since he's a hot topic around here, seems like a logical place to start:

Aphex Twin

"On"

Saw the video on MTV Amp. I think Richard D. James Album was the first I picked up after that, and remains my favorite.

Ministry

"Thieves"

First carpool with friends my sophomore year of high school, friend pulled up playing this and I was like WTF this is awesome. I picked up The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste as quickly as I could after that, and Ministry became one of my favorite bands until after Psalm 69.

The Beatles

"Martha My Dear"

One can't grow up without hearing and knowing who The Beatles are, but there's gotta be that one song that eventually clicks and makes you pay more attention. My ex girlfriend and I were driving around one day around 2004 and she had the white album or a mix of Beatles tracks playing. I was already a fan of most of their songs, but this song made me actually start listening to their albums on my own.

David Bowie

"Life On Mars"

Again, I was well aware of David Bowie and liked some of his songs but he was always one of those really well-known artists whose albums I wasn't going to listen to. Then I watched Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and was really impressed with both David Bowie and Seu Jorge's versions, so I started listening to Bowie's albums.

Ween

"Push Th' Little Daisies"

I'm pretty sure I saw this video on MTV back in the day, but my friend also lent me the album Pure Guava and I was hooked. I really can't stand the song but as a high school kid in the 90s it was cool as shit.

Bult to Spill

Album: There's Nothing Wrong With Love

I was aware of this band for a while during the 90s because I had some friends that listened to indie rock. Personally, I was more into industrial and electronic music at the time, and probably more mainstream/polished rock. Eventually, a longtime friend and girl I dated on and off mentioned she was looking for this CD and it was impossible to find. This was the late 90s, and she didn't realize it but I knew the internets could be of help. So I ordered it online and saved the day. I hadn't heard the album yet, and fell in love with it and the band.

Descendents

Album: Hallraker: Live!

My friend found a cassette in the high school parking lot our junior year. We popped it in the deck of my mom's car once to check it out, and were instantly blown away. We played the shit out of this tape and it was a mighty great time.

Misfits

"Last Caress"

It was probably when I realized Metallica's cover was a cover, in the early 90s. Then I picked up the first self-titled compilation.

Faith No More

"Epic"

Saw the video on MTV back in the day, holy shit was it awesome, as was the song! I've loved the band and Mike Patton's vocals since then. I picked up The Real Thing and loved everything about it. Still waiting for a fucking remaster to this day, goddammit. It sounds so tinny these days. Angel Dust is great and all but The Real Thing will always have my heart.

Fugazi

Album: Steady Diet of Nothing

In 1992 I moved from the Chicago suburbs to the Houston suburbs and met a kid in my art class that was listening to cool stuff like Fugazi and Samhein and I don't know what else. He lent me this tape and I thought it was great. I didn't immediately go out and get their previous albums, it wasn't until the later 90s that I then caught up with their earlier albums and the ones released after it.

Pixies

"Where Is My Mind"

Yes, the movie Fight Club got me into Pixies, even though I'd heard them before. I got on the indie rock wagon pretty late, as I was distracted by industrial and electronic (and other "weird" stuff) for most of the 90s.

Man Man

"Engwish Bwudd"

I was watching an episode of Weeds (season 3 I think) and this song came on during the end credits. I thought it was awesome so I looked it up and it was Man Man, a band I'd heard of but had never listened to. So I got the album Six Demon Bag, quickly followed by the two surrounding it when a friend asked me to join him for the show. It was an incredible show, and their albums are great. Except the most recent one is just ok.

Skinny Puppy

Album: Too Dark Park

In 1992 after moving to Houston, a new friend lent me this album and said it would trip me out. Holy shit! I got home, put it in the stereo and laid on my bed with the lights out. I hallucinated and I hadn't even done drugs yet at that time! It was the start of a toxic love affair.

Mouse on Mars

Album: Autoditacker

I don't remember how or when, but it was this album.

Meat Beat Manifesto

Album: Storm the Studio

I don't remember how or when (early 90s), but it was this album.

Pavement

"Father to a Sister of Thought"

I'd heard some Pavement before but it was really this song that grabbed me about 5 years ago, and got me into their albums. The song is from Wowee Zowee but I think I listened to Slanted and Enchanted first, because I wanted to start at the beginning.

Pink Floyd

"Learning to Fly"

Seems silly, but this song got a fair amount of MTV and radio play in the late 80s when I was in junior high, so naturally it was my first exposure. I picked up the live album Delicate Sound of Thunder and only had that for a long time. It wasn't until the late 90s that I started listening to other albums.

Radiohead

"Karma Police"

I heard "Creep" way back when it was new and it wasn't my thing at all. A few albums later I was ready for them.

Sebadoh

"On Fire"

I first heard of the band in the late 90s. But it wasn't until sometime in the last 5 years that I started listening to them, after the local indie station played "On Fire" and I really liked it.

The Smiths

Album: Hatful of Sorrow

Once again, a band I was familiar with for ages but wasn't aligned with my tastes...even if I happened to like a song or two. After breaking up with my ex about 3 years ago, I decided to come out of my hole a little bit and listen to some more well-respected "popular" artists. I found myself riding my bike to the park alone pretty often, sitting atop a hill overlooking Lake Union and playing this. It really clicked, and I realized that Morrissey and I think very much alike.

Sonic Youth

Album: Daydream Nation

It took a while for me to even try. In the 90s, I sat at a record store and previewed Dirty, but I didn't buy it. In the last few years, I decided to try again and started with Daydream Nation. It was most definitely not an instant hit, but it eventually clicked. Most of it. But it was enough for me to keep going and really like some of their stuff.

Tool

"Prison Sex"

A friend introduced me to Tool in 1993 with the song "Sober". I thought it was cool, and quite different from anything else I'd heard at the time. I didn't love it though. But then Prison Sex was released as the next single and I was all over that.

Nine Inch Nails

"Head Like a Hole"

The first single...I was all over it. But I might not have picked up the album until 1991. Is that possible? I'm not sure...it came out in 1989, but ah the single didn't come out till March 1990. So I guess it's possible. Although I seem to remember picking up Pearl Jam's Ten on the same day. And that wasn't until 1991.

Ok that's enough. Phew, I've spent nearly all of my morning here. Somebody's not gonna be happy.

saw a windowlicker cd in a and i had heard alot of aphex twin so i bought it on impulse.

bought squarepusher's shobaleader one presents: d'demonstrator on vinyl in record store and i had seen it alot in record stores so i bought it on impulse.

watmm got me into ae when i first came here.

Aphex Twin - Milkman/Polygon Window/Stone in Focus -- found these on limewire after I heard Fenix Funk somewhere.

Autechre - Incunabula -- Because of RDJ I got the entire AI series. (Kinda like jefferoo I got a lot of stuff via AI)

Biosphere - Dropsonde -- Don't remember how I got there, probably Pandora or Last.fm

Faith No More & Mike Patton in general:

I got the notsoundtrack for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas which only had a selection of tracks in the game. One of which was Midlife Crisis. I always liked it alot from there. I have a friend who is a huge Mike Patton fan, and in my recommending of Bionic Commando, one if my points was Mike Patton doing Nathan Spencer's voice.

Me chatting with him about Mike Patton around the beginning of this year led to me buying The Real Thing. I don't think I listened to any of it beforehand. I must've heard Epic before then.

On the first listening I liked it enough, and I don't know it it was my friend's fandom, or the fact that I payed moneys for it, but I gave it a couple of listens, giving it more of a chance than I probably would've otherwise, and eventually fell in love with it.

I went on to buy the rest of the Mike Patton FNM stuff.

I've gone on to colect Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, Lovage, Mondo Cane, General Patton Vs. The X-Ecutioners. Most of what is left is his weirder stuff, Fantomas is probabaly going to be the next thing I jump into.

Aphex Twin & RDJ in general:

During the summer of 2006 I was on some Mindless Self Indulgence fan forum, and some person made a topic requesting things to cheer them up since some fucked up stuff was going on in their life. Someone posted the Come To Daddy video.

I have no idea what I thought, but it led me to watch Windowlicker afterwords. I remember thinking Aphex Twin must've been some weird group that did rap and metal and I who knows what else. That was until the video actually started. I found out I had an Aphex Twin song on my iTunes from some loungey compilation CD my brother put on there, Alberto Balsalm.

I was hooked and went to Disc Replay, a local chain that sells used CDs & movies & video games. They had SAW II. I remember not being sure if I wanted to spend $14/15 on it, but my mom gave the point that it had two discs. I lstened to it in my backyard laying on a swing bench thing, got way into it and walked around and bought a Snapple. It led to me buying RDJ & ICBYD, then a whole lot more.

I could've got into Aphex Twin when someone started a thread in the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas board on GameFAQs and posted Rubber Johnny. Or Salad Fingers and other David Firth stuff.

I also could've gotten into Mike Patton through the cover of Come To Daddy he did with Dillinger Escape Plan.

And so on and so on.

Archived