IGNORED

1991 - 1991

Warning: unpopular opinion.

Ok so great synth lines an all that but something bugs me about this stuff. For one it's jumping on the lo-fi bandwagon just a little too hard. I've got to roll my eyes every time I hear one of these tape stop inserts on the recording. Lo-fi sounds great and we all love it but this was such an easy formula to see coming. I want to hear what this guy can do w/ out all the this bullshit texture muck he puts on it. I want him to grow some balls, get naked and see if there's some talent there that isn't covered up by tape hiss.

...and Open To The Dark - wtf, that's not even a sample. It's an entire Cure song shittily taped in room. You might as well be listening to P Diddy or whatever that motherfuckers name is, rip off a Police song. I think I'm being reasonable here.

Ok so great synth lines an all that but something bugs me about this stuff. For one it's jumping on the lo-fi bandwagon just a little too hard. I've got to roll my eyes every time I hear one of these tape stop inserts on the recording. Lo-fi sounds great and we all love it but this was such an easy formula to see coming. I want to hear what this guy can do w/ out all the this bullshit texture muck he puts on it. I want him to grow some balls, get naked and see if there's some talent there that isn't covered up by tape hiss.

The only thing I have to say about it is that I have a problem how those musicians got marketed after their discovery. I ask myself if these new "kosmische kuriere" have ever listened to a Klaus Schulze/Tangerine Dream or Embryo recording.

I use a lo-fi formula in my music since several years and I don't think I'm somebody new with it.

As a friend of mine said: you cannot re-invent the wheel new.

It's a warranted opinion. Something about 1991's material did grip though more so than many other peers who've been making similar music. "Open the Dark" is one of the weaker tracks (the looped chorus thing has been done a lot already - i.e. Lopatin's EccoJams tracks). The same guy appears to make hardcore techno/industrial as "MCMXCI" - so he appears to be an arguably sincere producer and not just some art student fucking around with tape recordings. Your criticism would be appropriate in the vaporwave thread too, though if 1991 is bad in your opinion you might want to avoid the artists in there even more.

well, that other tape is shit and a waste of 8 quid. but this and 'high tech high life' are great, imho.

sorry to hear that, it looked cool but I personally wasn't inclined to buy it

the description made it sound good. I should've listened to more of the samples cos apart from maybe 2 tracks it's crap, lol.

it's just too simple, really simple, boring, monotonous thumpy techno with a lo-fi sound. that's it.

oh well... win some lose some.

Also I need to get a working turntable. I sit alone in a room of cassette decks staring at this fucking majestic 12" record

So this vinyl mystery got even better - pull up boomkat's homepage and my wife glances over and is like "ohhh. yeah don't look at that...um, don't order anything else from there. for now...[or I could tell you now...nah]" all in this very upbeat tone.

Christmas should be awesome.

It's a warranted opinion. Something about 1991's material did grip though more so than many other peers who've been making similar music. "Open the Dark" is one of the weaker tracks (the looped chorus thing has been done a lot already - i.e. Lopatin's EccoJams tracks). The same guy appears to make hardcore techno/industrial as "MCMXCI" - so he appears to be an arguably sincere producer and not just some art student fucking around with tape recordings. Your criticism would be appropriate in the vaporwave thread too, though if 1991 is bad in your opinion you might want to avoid the artists in there even more.

No I don't think it's bad. I don't want to give that impression. Just some minor issues I had. However that MCMXCI tape I do not like at all.

So I ordered the cassette and this afternoon I come home to find the album on clear vinyl

I can dig that kind of mistake :happy:

lucky! except you don't have a deck, lol. but you could just buy the cassette again and not have lost anything. lucky, lucky man!

• 6 months later...
Guest jasondonervan

I'd really like that, but I'm trying to cool down the vinyl purchases... I'll just have to make do with my cassette :music:

I'd really like that, but I'm trying to cool down the vinyl purchases... I'll just have to make do with my cassette :music:

Yeah I'm tempted to buy the vinyl because I don't have his debut on tape but I'm not in a rush to drop $25+ for it either.

Also I have High-Tech High-Life on both tape and vinyl, so I can't complain. The packaging of the High-Tech High-Life tape is lovely, I don't think any of the Astro:Dynamics tapes are that nice, my copy of Lo Tide's Moonless was just a simple printed j-card.

Yep, tape copy of HTHL here too. Any news on new material incoming from 1991?

"A new 1991 EP is in the works for the label, but, for now, Astro:Dynamics are giving the EP a second crack of the whip."

http://www.factmag.com/2013/07/01/1991s-excellent-1999-ep-to-get-vinyl-riessue/

That I will order in a heartbeat.