IGNORED

1991 - 1991

FkKSo.jpg

"1991 is the alias of Gothenburg based artist Axel Backman, whose, giddying, lo-fi electronic output has been garnering support from the likes of Samoyed, Lukid and Vessel – indeed Vessel also mastered this E.P.

Opening with the stuttered, hypnagogic mood of 'Recorn Ice Horn', the effervescent glow of Bibio and Boards of Canada lingers in the swell of detuned synths; making way for the equally colourful 'Fabric of Space'. Mentioned earlier, 'Open To The Dark' makes a whimsical 'pop' twist with distant vocals set in plates of almost OPN / Schulze-like ambience.

Comforting nostalgia can be heard in tracks like 'Distortion Of Time' and the more introspective 'Where Do I Hide From Myself', making for a hugely impressive debut composed of rich analogue laments enriched by lo-fi methods and tape distortion."

https://bleep.com/re...991#description

http://boomkat.com/d...ive-bonus-track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrdFAqeLQE

Edited by GRVGLTCHR

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blakeboogie

I should have bought another copy, hasn't left my tapedeck since it arrived. Love the overall tone, the dissonant samples and it's Lo-Fi production really suits the format.

My album of the year so far, it's that good. :music:

damn, all the tapes are sold out i take it..

wondering the same thing - hopefully another release is on the way, would of loved to add this or his other release to my cassette collection

either way I'll be watching both labels from now on

Edited by joshuatx

Guest blakeboogie

damn, all the tapes are sold out i take it..

wondering the same thing - hopefully another release is on the way, would of loved to add this or his other release to my cassette collection

either way I'll be watching both labels from now on

Cheers for the heads up on Hi-Tech Life, thought this one was his debut. I see the price has already inflated on discogs £19.99 cheapest copy.

alright, anything really close to this guy in sound, besides this sunsetcorp video...

I mean, I know there's plenty out there in the same ballpark, timbre-wise and all, but something about 1991 is so good and so consistent to my ears...any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blakeboogie

This is amazing. Why has it taken me so long to find 1991?

Still my favourite release of the year, love the track with The Cure "Charlotte Sometimes" samples, went out an bought the orignal it's so good.

• 3 weeks later...

1991's album Hi-Tech High-Life is now available on 12" and another cassette run as well:

http://boomkat.com/v...e-vinyl-edition

Just ordered the cassette, did it so frantically, I realized that I used my credit card (and not paypal) for an order charged in £s and not $s. Hope my bank doesn't fuck me over because of that. :/

Edited by joshuatx

Yeah I'd love a copy of that one too. I've enjoyed listening to other artists on both Astro:Dynamics in the meantime. I have a feeling they won't re-release it and stick to digital availability.

The other label, Opal Tapes, is very much a one-dude operation, he mentioned in an email he was going to release the 12" and cassette again because of high demand, sure enough he did that today. Lot of interesting artists on it, including his own aliases. Looks like Axel Backman also goes as MCMXCI, which is very distorted techno - much more industrial vibe to it.