IGNORED

R.I.P. Roger Ebert

Nebraska

seriously, i enjoyed reading his film reviews. plus he wrote the script for beyond the valley of the dolls and all the feuds with gallo

will miss him

By far my favorite film critic of all time. It's hard to succinctly describe all the aspects of his writing and critical methodology and how much I appreciated his work. I even enjoyed his negative reviews of some of my favorite films, he was that consistent and thorough. He was very inspiration during in the last years of his life, including his work on voice synthesis.

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear, he writes in a journal entry titled "Go Gently into That Good Night." I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. What I am grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder, and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris.

I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

This is really a bummer for me, it's probably going to be a year or two before I fully accept he's passed away as I re-read his old reviews. I'm really, really going to miss. He sure did leave a hell of a legacy behind.

RIP

My jaw dropped when i heard the news.

Too soon?

RIP, i always checked his reviews before watching a movie, i trusted his judgment (most of the time)

He had real insight, whether I always agreed with him or not. I'll be damned if this review of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind doesn't make me want to watch it and feel inspired.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/REVIEWS08/100109999/1023

Respect.

Guest Mirezzi

i always admired his unashamed approach to art criticism. we need more people like him, this generation doesnt look too promising.

Said a friend on Facebook:

"Here's to you, Roger Ebert, very possibly the last mature adult the United States made."

i always admired his unashamed approach to art criticism. we need more people like him, this generation doesnt look too promising.

Said a friend on Facebook:

"Here's to you, Roger Ebert, very possibly the last mature adult the United States made."

well said.

*farts*

Guest Iain C

He was a good man. I'm not a big film watcher, but I 'd always turn to his review first when I was checking out one to see. And I'll always remember the way he upset self-righteous video game nerds. RIP.

This is truly a bummer, his reviews were pretty much the only reviews I trusted and cared about... I thought I had just read the other day that he was doing better and was going to start doing reviews more sparsely?! Shame, he will be missed.

R.I.P.

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear, he writes in a journal entry titled "Go Gently into That Good Night." I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. What I am grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder, and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris.

I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

I was shocked to hear about this news. But that second paragraph alone is an inspiring legacy. Kind of reminds me of quotes by the Dalai Lama.

I was shocked to hear about this news. But that second paragraph alone is an inspiring legacy. Kind of reminds me of quotes by the Dalai Lama.

Yeah he was pretty zen in his last years, I think the term "inspiring" gets overused but he really was. The health issues he went through since 2006 could of easily and understandably brought his life to an end a lot sooner than it did, instead he worked until the very end.

Archived