IGNORED

Perhaps a political/social issues subform is needed for all these debates?

ghOsty

how did you come to that conclusion? it seemed to me that everyone immediately started with personal insults and whatnot. that sort of thing only polarizes people even further. you don't want that. no one is "immune" to persuasion. just planting the seed of doubt is enough to make a change.

and, even if zeffolia wasn't persuaded, don't you think it's still useful to engage in debate for the sake of other people who don't know much about the topic and could fall into either group depending on the information given to them? if i came into that thread with no opinion on feminism, i would be leaving it with a very negative one.

Sadly, I think if someone starts off having a position that has come about through selection bias then there is simply no hope for them integrating new information that contradicts their position.

Sometimes in WATMM and life people are just not open to being convinced otherwise. My mother, for instance, believes that she can communicate with dead people and heal people's physical ailments over the phone. I have politely tried to present her with my side of things but it was very very obvious that she was not open to contrary information.

Nobody provided any evidence to the contrary of what I started in my OP and posts

The entire thread started off with spam and flame replies, and ended with them

You have no reason to believe my opinion could not be swayed and you made no attempt to do so, nor did anyone else, except with insults and sarcasm.

It is you people who hurt your own feminist nonsense cause the most.

When you said that the only reason reason the domestic abuse stats were lopsided was men were under-reporting getting attacked. So I told you to look at the domestic homicide rate (a figure that would take the variable of 'reporting' out of the equation) and tell me what you thought of that.

I didn't hear back from you.

The domestic homicide rate being higher for male aggressors doesn't contradict anything I've said.

Males are more likely to physically harm a woman in a domestic violence confrontation, but males and females are both equally likely to initiate it. Males are stronger than females in general.

Would one person having a gun negate the strength inbalance?

Yes but the majority of domestic violence doesn't involve guns. Just like the majority of violence in general.

I think we need to come up with a null hypothesis.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know why the thread was closed. it was because it devolved. the original topic was fine and i was actually looking forward to posting in it.

While i do believe some aspects of the feminist movement are a bit ridiculous, there are certainly many valid points in feminist theory. And trying to explain the wage gap away by personal ambitions is laughable. You cant ignore centuries of socialization.

There's a funny thing with telling people how the world works based on outcomes/stats from various researches, and that is that often there are other outcomes/stats telling a different story, or even that another explanation of the same outcomes/stats tell a completely different story. Although the climate discussion is a bad (because extremely politicized) example, it is an example nevertheless. Oddly, the only things those outcomes/stats could do, is create a sense of urgency ("something is going on here, we're not sure what, but these numbers suggest something needs to be done") and in the best case give a direction for some solution (" this is urgent and we might be able to solve it by doing such and so on").

In this case it shouldn't even matter whether violence against women is or isn't worse to violence against men, right? ( urgency discussion) because the solution would be equal on all accounts, right? (Solution discussion)

Also a belated lol at the "i" in the A-hole joke posted earlier.

... bring down the overall mood of GenBan ...

I like a mix of serious discussion and complete nonsense.

Thats the magic internet formula that has kept watmm going for years.

if you split everything out into subforums it will just be boring. The point of forums is to see things you aren't quite looking for but might find interesting anyway.

i don't get why the mods closed that thread. zeffolia was being civil. godel and rixxx were the ones derailing with shit about chair dildos. i disagree with most of zeffolia's arguments but i understand where he's coming from (to young, american upper middle class white males, i'm sure that feminism does seem unnecessary because they are surrounded by independent successful women). i think there was a discussion to be had, especially because a lot of people these days *do* misinterpret feminism's goals. it was a chance for education and debate and it turned into immature shitflinging. really disappointing, especially from feminists that think it's a better idea to demean ideological opponents rather than persuading them otherwise. i think that's bad form for any discussion, but it's especially dangerous when you claim to be apart of such a global movement as feminism.

A true proponent of free speech. I salute you. I agree that that discussion could have been interesting and enlightening, though the tone of the thread-starter wasn't indicating it would head in that direction. However, should someone start a thread . . oh fine hold on

that is a really good point. he was being inflammatory. i still don't think the reactions were warranted though (i'm a firm believer in "being the bigger person" so to speak).

perhaps if a thread was created with a more neutral title and a couple of discussion points instead of just links, all parties would be satisfied.

For reference this (and what ChenGOD mentioned about the direction it took) was why I closed it. The topic of conversation itself was absolutely fine - though unfortunately there's a very vocal majority on here who seem to take things in a very bad direction very quickly (and/or start things off horribly to lead to the inevitable thread decline)

thing is i did actually post research and respected information however you we're very head strong about your views- The sad thing about feminism is that it's grossly misunderstood.

I used to work in a really male orientated workplace (there were women in the office but it was above a warehouse that I had to liaise with daily) now, I had to put up with men shouting stuff, constant glares, a manager whom persisted in advancing on me via our skype contact (we all used skype to contact people in the company etc)

I did have a fantastic boss who did tell the manager in question off for his behaviour, however the way many men in the workplace judge women is by their looks/sexual appeal etc. This is also an issue when a woman walks down a road, I really would like to know how you would feel about walking along a road and have a man, in a car roll up beside you and ask you to get in his car or shout inappropriate stuff to you. This is why there has been a lot of 'ads' calling for people to stop this behaviour and to also teach young boys how to behave appropriately.

Feminism is about equality for everyone- for people to not have to feel scared about 'that creepy guy in the office' or walking down a dark ally way.

but you know what Zeffolia, I don't doubt you'll ignore my view and that's fine but remember when someone states personal reasons for a cause, you better respect that person because you have no idea about the shit they've had to deal with because of your beliefs.

Guest zaphod

My thread went in a bad direction from the start because of spamming trolls/thread derailers

That's it

lol

i don't think a political subforum is necessary, my comment in particular in that thread referred to all of the right wing talking points suddenly appearing on watmm. i don't mind an alternative point of view but these threads are all boring trollfests, and seemingly unusual on this forum. at least, i can't remember a period with so much uninformed nonsense being posted at one time. then again, this is the internet, and watmm has always been a bit like going to a bar and listening to drunk people rail on emotionally about all manner of things in as uninformed a way as possible.

I'm not gonna start a thread about it, so I opted to post in the one that comes closest to the topic I'm about to address at hand.

I just noticed Compson got banned??

FLOL

I suppose it's a bit crude of me to laugh about it. But yeah, it seemed he was getting gradually more unstable.

Maybe he's found a community that more closely affiliates with his political beliefs.

I think a subforum would be helpful because you could make clearly defined rules for it, and lock any thread that goes off course/ban people from it if they're bad with debate (like compson, who was a normal person as long as he wasn't talking about anything political). I'm for it.

I suppose it's a bit crude of me to laugh about it. But yeah, it seemed he was getting gradually more unstable.

Maybe he's found a community that more closely affiliates with his political beliefs.

He did post a video of a girl getting raped. Although, I dont know if that was why he was banned

He did post a video of a girl getting raped. Although, I dont know if that was why he was banned

Ah, that would do it.

Guest Frankie5fingers

so it seems the fascist muslim liberals finally banned compson from revealing to much of their master plan to dominate the world.

Archived