IGNORED

favourite religious music?

Guest chunky

Guest chunky

going to have to start with mass in b minor by J.S. Bach

just exceptionally beautiful and hard to forget some of the more mystical passages

looking to hear about any kind of religious music, islamic, jewish, christian, buddhist, shinto, or whatever. not so much satanism or wicca-ism or any of those jokey ones ;-)

reggae

yes

this was one the few hymns I remember as a kid, it's a Methodist one written to the song "Finlandia"

This is my song, oh God of all the nations, a song of peace for lands afar and mine. This is my home, the country where my heart is; here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine; but other hearts in other lands are beating with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine My country's skies are bluer than the ocean, and sunlight beams on clover leaf and pine. But other lands have sunlight too and clover, and skies are everywhere as blue as mine. This is my song, thou God of all the nations; a song of peace for their land and for mine. This is my prayer, O Lord of all earth's kingdoms: Thy kingdom come on earth thy will be done. Let Christ be lifted up till all shall serve him, And hearts united learn to live as one. Oh hear my prayer, thou God of all the nations; Myself I give thee; let thy will be done.

As someone who finds music itself very spiritual I don't seek out "religious music." Most modern pop tailored to religion, especially Christianity, is just mediocre and often ironically soulless. I think in the past religion and music (and art in general) were socially so intertwined that much of the greatest art in the past was overtly religious in tone but had universal appeal. The very few songs with lyrics about faith I really like are the ones that also have a sense of uncertainly and treat spirituality as something that isn't easy to grasp. These two are really the only rock songs I can think of that do that. I think reggae does the same lyrically too (like the one I posted above): it's a lot more honest in tone than most Christian rock and pop and most Gospel music

http://vimeo.com/43581153

I'm usually listening to Qur'an recitations. Not music but it can be consider as music cause Qur'an contains rules how to recite it and it's melodic:

...in 'classical' religious music nothing beats Bach IMO. The man dedicated his entire life to the cause:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived