IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Guest extherium

I like the way Jacquard builds up. Collapse is pretty relaxing, the really airy sounds go nicely with the melody. Uritual is probably the only track I haven't really warmed up to. Oh well, just making conversation.

For me reading this thread has been a bit funny. The album has copped a bit about having no stand out tracks, but for me Jacquard Causeway is the stand out track. It fits in with the overall tone and message of the album, but stylistically its very, very different from all the other tracks. In a good way, mind you, which is why I love it so much. While the other tracks are seemingly straightforward, and in some cases predictable, Jacquard just chugs along under its own weight, rolling over itself and morphing into some kind of really bad trip.

My main problem with the album is too much atmosphere, not enough beats. But that's personal preference when it comes BoC's music. When they do beats, they get it so, so right.

I like the way Jacquard builds up. Collapse is pretty relaxing, the really airy sounds go nicely with the melody. Uritual is probably the only track I haven't really warmed up to. Oh well, just making conversation.

I really want to love it. I tried, but I shouldn't have to try.

Oh yeah definitely, don't force yourself. Lots of other great releases this year!

I wish it were that easy.

My main problem with the album is too much atmosphere, not enough beats. But that's personal preference when it comes BoC's music. When they do beats, they get it so, so right.

Exactly.

I love the album, plain and simple. I'm sure I'll have more to say later, after a few more listens. But I wanted to contribute a positive comment, even if it is only a superficial one for now. I'm getting the sense that this album (as with most things that have a devoted fan base, given my experience) is producing a bi-modal distribution in its reception among the fan community. So count me on the positive side for now, for what that's worth.

I love the album too. There are certain tracks I would never listen to in isolation - White Cyclosa and Sundown. They're way too cinematic. But they work within the context of the album. I can see why some of you folks feel the way you do. But I just keep hearing new reasons to listen more closely. And I keep hearing tracks and parts of them as if for the first time, discovering and appreciating things that I hadn't connected with previously.

I'm sort of quietly amazed at the number of people who really dig the album. My friend just pinged me on facebook "new BoC is blowing my mind!"

I mean...really?

I feel like a real freak of nature on this one, but no choice but to stick to my guns, I guess...

Also I agree with whoever said that they held back a bit in terms of beats.

That was me. I don't think its a horrible album, but today for some reason it just sounded uninspiring in a lot of areas.

Guest Jenga

Downloaded this morning and listened through seven times so far. (only once doing absolutely nothing except listening).

My initial love is 10/10 -- I think it is one of the most successful examples of an artist creating a specific vibe, sound, theme for an album while simultaneously sticking with their overall unique sound as an artist.

The album flow is spectacular to me -- Then again, I love when I'm left wanting more, and I love the dynamics ranging from those more drone/static moments and complex/layered moments.

White Cyclosa and New Seeds are my favorite tracks right now.

Guest fsdapfad

its a shame because I honestly think if there were just 2 absolute scorchers on this album introducing a bit of upbeat melody (or even just melody) at key points it would really tie it all together and make the more atmospheric tracks make sense. This is what Geogaddi had; Julie and Candy and Dawn Chorus were both excellent, melodic songs that really refreshed the palate after long stretches of interesting gloom and made you keen for another round. TH is just interesting gloom from start to finish.

Guest Ricky Downtown

came here to say this is everything i hoped for and more. wow!! wow!!!!!!!

i found myself feeling nostalgic for my childhood and for the first times hearing boc. definitely a return to their geogaddi/iabpoitc era stuff. was hard to take it all in, there were so many perfect moments. last song made me want to cry! so, so gorgeous.

Guest Ricky Downtown

song Jacquard Causeway was stunning. i love how counterpoint slowly becomes melody, over and over...

I'm sort of quietly amazed at the number of people who really dig the album. My friend just pinged me on facebook "new BoC is blowing my mind!"

I mean...really?

I feel like a real freak of nature on this one, but no choice but to stick to my guns, I guess...

Freak of nature!? Yeah, like millions other people who don't like BOC. If you're on the outside of a niche, you're part of a majority.

;D

I mean...really?

Freak of nature!? Yeah, like millions other people who don't like BOC. If you're on the outside of a niche, you're part of a majority.

;D

He didn't say he didn't like BoC.

Guest Gravity

I mean...really?

FREAK! FREAK! FREAK! FREAK! FREAK! FREAK! FREAK!

angry-mob-at-frankenstein-castle.jpg

but no choice but to stick to my guns, I guess...

I don't get that part. Why force yourself to hold an opinion that may or may not be subject to change? Be open to whatever comes next.

You appeared to be having negative expectations prior to hearing it. So I wonder if you set yourself up to be disappointed?

Edited by LOL Alzado

Guest fsdapfad

but no choice but to stick to my guns, I guess...

I don't get that part. Why force yourself to hold an opinion that may or may not be subject to change? Be open to whatever comes next.

You appeared to be having negative expectations prior to hearing it. So I wonder if you set yourself up to be disappointed?

nah its just a middling album.

I'll say the inevitable and start the controversy: if this were some new artist's first album, the reactions would be 'meh' or at best 'a bit overlong and pretentious but there's an interesting retro sound there'. I have strong doubts that anyone would be comparing this album on its own merits to Geogaddi or Music Has The Right if the artist's name was 'Plonglions' or something. But perhaps I'm just a grump, idk.

Hard to imagine anyone else writing this album and hard to discuss it outside the context of their prior material.

Edited by LOL Alzado