IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Just had my first listen, the hour seemed to shoot by (In fact I was surprised when Foobar said the playlist was 62 mins) though I can't really seem to remember any of it, except for the last track (though only as I've heard it many times before from that transmission thing). Hopefully more things will stick as I listen to it several more times.

I wish you guys would lay off osc a little bit. dude is entitled to his opinions and posts.

My initial reaction to this album is closer to osc's initial reaction than to just about everyone else's in here. I'm a little surprised by the "top of their game" responses on here.

It's good, but no. I know it's great to have boc back, but no.

Edited by baph

I think there's a lot of excitement which will wear off in a few weeks. then is when some more substantial feelings will be rolling in.

comparing albums from one to the next is quite futile without proper context. when I first heard mhtrtc in 1999, I was 23 years old, care free and smoking tons of herb while a whole new genre was unfolding. now I'm 37 with an office job, mortgage, wife, kid etc and listening to tomorrow's harvest. entirely different perspective.

and that doesn't even take into account the brothers perspective in creating their art in those two different eras. and that's quite important!

time will tell where this stacks up. lots of time.

Guest disoriental express

I guess it's kind of similar to how the guitar parts of The Campfire Headphase turned some people off, myself included. I generally just don't enjoy that style of guitar.

It's hard for me to pinpoint what aspect of Tomorrow's Harvest is turning some people off. From what others have said, when it comes down to it, it's likely just a matter of it not clicking for them.

I will say that i've grow to appreciate The Campfire Headphase more after the release of TH. It inspired me to take a second look and see what would happen if I just cut out the tracks I don't like (Chromakey Dreamcoat, Satellite Anthem Icarus, Peacock Tail, Dayvan Cowboy, Hey Saturday Sun, and Constants Are Changing) and put Trans Canada Highway at the end (minus original Dayvan Cowboy) and now i'm diggin it. I've grown to appreciate the tracks I do enjoy quite a bit more. Oscar See Through Red Eye is fuckin unbelievable.

Edited by disoriental express

Guest fsdapfad

Hmm after a few more listens I'm starting to really like this album... probably shouldn't have shat over it quite so much earlier.

Hmm after a few more listens I'm starting to really like this album... probably shouldn't have shat over it quite so much earlier.

Nice man, glad to hear this! There is hope for the underwhelmed. :emotawesomepm9:

Guest fsdapfad

it's okay, with a username like that,and no avatar, none of us remember who you are :-)

cool, I'm like a Serbian war criminal.

I'd been listening to Boards of Canada since 1998 & i cannot say that i'm impressed. Well, i'll give the record another spin. wait & see...

It only gets worse I'm afraid... I'm hoping they have some other music for us waiting in the form of an EP maybe? (and that it doesn't sound like a score from a horror film)

I thought you said were lovin it the other night blastin it while drivin around.... what happened? :cerious:

After a few listens, it just gets very stale. That has NEVER happened to me in hundreds of listens to their work previous to TCH. Where are the beats? Where is the emotion? Where is the attitude? I'm just not hearing it. Their music used to sound like it was made by some kind of supernatural force. At least TCH had "slow this bird down" There is always a few tracks of unparalleled beauty and grace, that just overwhelms me on their other albums. That track on THIS album could have been "Nothing is Real"...but it doesn't sound finished, and it doesn't have enough time to build. I feel horrible bitching about this album, and I was so sure they'd get it right this time, but I have to express myself.

Well, my vinyl has arrived tonight, and it's time to give it a go.

I'll give it this... so far the sound is better on the vinyl. It has some grit to it that I like more. Reach For the Dead still gives me chills. In a good way of course.

I think all four of the albums are about the same level. Maybe I'm retarded or something. They all have different merits though, that's for sure. G+MHTRTC are masterpieces, TCH and TH are really, really great albums by the same people who made those masterpieces. Wouldn't that kind of be like saying that if G is Beethoven's 9th then TH might be his sixth or fourth or something? That's an analogy, for those with bad logical ability.

In other words, Maybe TH doesn't have the greatest melodies in their entire repetoir... it has other virtues. It might be their most immersive and widescreen, atmospheric. When I listen to it I feel like it contains many areas. It's a journey. Check your expectations and comparisons, is all I'm saying. It would be genuinely idiotic to just discard it as a letdown and a bad album. The exact same thing can be said of mbv.

I am really starting to realize they weren't joking around about this album having more subliminals than anything else they've made, including G!

In fact, the production detail and nuance makes G sound like MHTRTC. Melodically it's less interesting, but it is more like ambient music than Geogaddi was. I think it's more comparable to FSOL's Lifeforms or something.

Edited by vamos scorcho

Just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you... and this record is fucking excellent.

EDIT: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue....lloyd-bridges.gif

Edited by disoriental express

I think all four of the albums are about the same level. Maybe I'm retarded or something. They all have different merits though, that's for sure. G+MHTRTC are masterpieces, TCH and TH are really, really great albums by the same people who made those masterpieces. Wouldn't that kind of be like saying that if G is Beethoven's 9th then TH might be his sixth or fourth or something? That's an analogy, for those with bad logical ability.

In other words, Maybe TH doesn't have the greatest melodies in their entire repetoir... it has other virtues. It might be their most immersive and widescreen, atmospheric. When I listen to it I feel like it contains many areas. It's a journey. Check your expectations and comparisons, is all I'm saying. It would be genuinely idiotic to just discard it as a letdown and a bad album. The exact same thing can be said of mbv.

I am really starting to realize they weren't joking around about this album having more subliminals than anything else they've made, including G!

In fact, the production detail and nuance makes G sound like MHTRTC. Melodically it's less interesting, but it is more like ambient music than Geogaddi was. I think it's more comparable to FSOL's Lifeforms or something.

That's a nice perspective, Vamos.. and I'm having a decent listen here. The album is packaged beautifully, that's for sure. Palace Posy has never sounded better to me, and Reach For the Dead? Fucking Christ.

Just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you... and this record is fucking excellent.

EDIT: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue....lloyd-bridges.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks brother.

:beer: "Well, we had a choice of steak or fish. Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna."

:beer: "Well, we had a choice of steak or fish. Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna."

You ever been in a cockpit before? No sir, I've never been up in a plane before. You ever…seen a grown man naked? ...Do you…like movies about gladiators?

try slowing New Seeds down a bit; I like it better that way.

Uritual craves a brutal afx remix. (a remix album could actually be pretty cool...)

hey, how come afx doesn't even do guest mixes for friends anymore? what a lamo

:cat:

Edited by doorjamb

I'm on my second listen now with the vinyl. I'm liking it a lot more...... This has been a very interesting evening. Whatever happens, I'm not going to make any final judgement on this album tonight. or even this week. Something is clearly happening right NOW though. The magic is returning.

*drinks coolaid*

LOL!!! maybe. That's why I'm not rushing to judgement. I certainly am digging it more now though. Maybe it's my environment. I've been listening to the album in my car almost exclusively... now it's 2 am, and I'm alone, at home, listening to it after receiving it presented all nice and shit. The art is beautiful. Really nicely done.

For the record, I've always maintained that there are some great tracks on this album. It's not too far fetched that the rest of it just needs to fall into place.