IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

Good review. But I disagree on the melody part. Imo, melodies are also a huge part of TH. Can't see why they aren't. What I 'd argue to be different from before, is that the melodies develop more during the track. They start out simple, but to the end of the tracks, lots of layers are added and things get more interesting. It happens quite often, so I don't understand why the melody side is less important on TH. Au contraire. Edited by goDel

Guest fsdapfad

Hard to imagine anyone else writing this album and hard to discuss it outside the context of their prior material.

That's more or less my point. It's all about the BOC style and the music has been left behind. I think the reason a lot of people like this is because it's attached to a cool aesthetic and a great back-catalogue.

That's fine. It's fine to place a song in context, and use the context to appreciate it in a certain way; it doesn't make the music itself any better. If the creator weren't a big name, this album would be firmly forgettable, middle-tier fare.

Guest Retrig

Cold Earth = great. Otherwise... I'm kinda turned off too. It's ok.
Lots of people have liked BoC for sometime. If you thought your esoteric place in life was as a BoC fan, and you think you're unique... and you don't want anyone encroaching on your space....

LOL. BoC is extremely accessible, and always has been. Very, very, popular music, for good reason. If anyone on the outside is going to already know your music, it's BoC.

You're not special. Get over it.

~Old man drunken asshole. It's true, though.

Have humped more bitches that know BoC but not another big name than I can count.

So TH got BNM on bitchdork. Is the review worth reading? - I tend to stay away from their writing since multiple times of annoyance.

Edited by vincentvc

I would have expected this to be much darker given the subject matter and the Reach for the Dead preview. I think Geogaddi is way more dark and unsettling. I like TH anyways.

Also just last week I had a dream of nuclear war between UK and Germany, lol. The euro crisis had broken up the EU and the old European states were at war again. People were cheering as their countries' nuclear bombers were flying overhead which was pretty chilling.

i dunno man, the new plonglions album is pretty awesome imo

Nice avatar. Who's next, Mike Rutherford?

Edited by fumi

Something can be enjoyable without being mind blowing, I and that's where this album sits for me. I felt the same way about the new MBV. Everybody from my point of view was/is overracting while I just think it's pretty good. Not their best and maybe too much time away robbed some of what could have been.

Also, how did the internet hive mind decide that The Campfire Headphase is somehow worse than this new one? Or a "lesser" BoC album? Clearly on TCH, BoC were on top of their game as lush, richly detailed sonic magicians. It's pretty unparalleled when you put it beside the music of BoC's admirers. or this new one.

It sure has it's super dark moments like Semena Mertvykh and Transmisiones Ferox, which is some the album's best.

But there are also a lot of very uplifting and cheerful moments. It's a good balance I would say.